Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Motorsport Discussion

Motorsport Discussion Talk about any motorsport discussion.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Signal 2
Viable Fossil

Signal 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Disappointing coverage of Rolex 24 hrs of Daytona

I didn't get to watch alot of the race on SPEED, so maybe my timing was just poor. But was I the only one that got tired of coverage on the prototypes? I enjoy watching them and all, but it just seemed like coverage of the GT class was an after-thought......when they couldn't think of anything else to talk about during one of the many yellows. And what I saw/heard of that was limited to the Porsches.

Last edited by Signal 2; 01-31-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Signal 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
staticpat
Rally Fanboy

staticpat is on a distinguished road

A few times there would be a shot of 4 or so prototypes and one of the RX-8s. What was funny to me was the RX-8 would be shooting fireballs, not the prototypes.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
j_tso
Rotary Fan in Training

j_tso is on a distinguished road

I hate that the uggo DPs get more coverage. I like racing series that have different cars competing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are any GT only races this year.
j_tso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Redhawkjrt
Brake, Turn, Go! Repeat.

Redhawkjrt is on a distinguished road
Default 3 hours left

3 hours to go and three RX-8s in the GT top 10!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road

SpeedSource Takes GT Honors in Rolex 24

courtesy of http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.c...es=r&cid=24991

Jan. 31, 2010

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - In the GT class, SpeedSource's "never give up" motto was evident in making up several positions and laps during the latter stages of the race. Once down seven laps to the class leaders, No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8 co-drivers Sylvain Tremblay, Nick Ham, David Haskell and Jonathan Bomarito climbed back from a deep deficit to give the team its second Rolex 24 victory in three years. It was the second Rolex 24 class victory for Tremblay, Ham and Haskell, and Bomarito's first. It also marked Mazda's 23rd class victory in the Rolex 24 (complete race results).
"This win is for all the dealers, 900 of them all across North America and Mexico," Tremblay said. "And I think we have over 9,000 members in Mazda Speed Motorsports and club racers, that have the same will to win, the will to never give up. And that's what it was all about."
Tremblay started third in the No. 70, but wasn't able to stay up front early. The car lost two laps between the third and fourth hours and several more when Bomarito radioed to his crew the car was suffering from a vibration. By the 14th hour, the car was sixth in GT, but seven laps off the leader's pace. However, problems - mechanical woes and running out of fuel, among them - plagued SpeedSource's competitors, and by the 20th hour, the Mazda RX-8 led the class. Additional misfortunes by other competitors, coupled with SpeedSource's efforts, put the quartet ahead by four laps over the No. 67 ShoreTel/Openwave Porsche GT3 and co-drivers Seth Neiman, Johannes van Overbeek and 2009 co-winners Jorg Bergmeister and Patrick Long.
The SpeedSource drivers let the race come to them, and then stayed in position to take the victory. For 16 consecutive hours, no car from a team other than TRG or Stevenson Motorsports led the GT class. In fact, the two teams held the top five positions for most of that time as well.
Van Overbeek, Bergmeister and Long all led laps, both Saturday evening and early Sunday morning, and fought No. 71 TRG Porsche GT3 teammates and two Stevenson Camaros for the top spot.
But during the final quarter of the race, that all changed. Stevenson Motorsports driver Andrew Davis in the No. 57 BryanMark Financial/Stevenson Automotive Group Camaro vacated the lead when he brought his car behind the wall with transmission problems; all three drivers led, and combined for a race-high 217 laps. In the next two hours, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Bobby Labonte in the No. 71 TRG machine ran out of fuel on the superstretch. Though it occurred under caution, it was the last time the No. 71 led during the day.
The No. 67 Porsche GT3 also suffered setbacks - in fact, twice - while leading during the race's final six hours. A broken spring and a stuck throttle forced the team from the point both times.
"There were times where I'm sure the Stevenson guys thought they had it in the bag where we thought we had it," Long said. "The 71 and, of course, the Mazda guys, did a great job."
SpeedSource's No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, featuring polesitter Jeff Segal, regulars Emil Assentato and Nick Longhi as well as veteran Anthony Lazzaro, was a solid top-five performer until a water leak did the car in after 17 hours. The No. 69 was relegated to 16th in class.
That left Tremblay's No. 70 up front, and by four laps. Overall, Tremblay, Ham, Haskell and Bomarito finished seventh. They finished with 145 laps led among them. Bomarito crossed the start/finish line under the checkered flag to complete the 707th GT lap.
"Amazing," Bomarito said. "I was fortunate enough to do this race with these same three guys last year. And to be able to come back and have that continuity and that relationship, we just felt so confident in all of each other's ability, the car, and we knew what we had to do. We just had to stay out of trouble and keep the car on the track, and we did that. And here we are. I got a new Rolex. I can't believe it."
Ham, who joined Tremblay and Haskell in the 2008 Rolex 24 victory, said prior to the race's finish he would be relinquishing his role as Tremblay's fulltime co-driver for 2010.
"It just feels really wonderful," Ham said. "And it's been an honor and a pleasure to represent SpeedSource and Sylvain and all these people...thank you very much for the opportunity. And it means a lot to me."
Bergmeister, Long, van Overbeek and Neiman finished second. TRG's Andy Lally, Wolf Henzler, Kelly Collins, Ted Ballou and Pat Flanagan finished third in the No. 66 AXA Porsche GT3 after overcoming a sensor failure before the race's halfway point. The field's only three-driver team - Davis, Robin Liddell and Jan Magnussen - finished fourth in the No. 57 Camaro, the new car's first race in Rolex Series competition. Craig Stanton, John Potter, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Richard Lietz were fifth in the No. 44 Magnus Racing Porsche GT3. Fourth through seventh places were separated by only one lap.
The next race for the GRAND-AM Rolex Series will be the Grand Prix of Miami on March 6 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Gregory Casimir
Rotary Fanatic

Gregory Casimir is on a distinguished road

well what i notice about the whole race was in the backround when they where focusing on the pit or something could you hear the low tone of the V-8's and flat 6's but in the midst of all the deep roars you can hear the rotary's high pitched exhaust note zooming around the course
Gregory Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

Nick Ham is rertiring.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Signal 2
Viable Fossil

Signal 2 is on a distinguished road

I was at the course for some work training last fall. Not a big oval track fan, but that venue was pretty awsome. Love to make a Rolex some day.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
RotaryDiagnostics
Compression Tester Man

RotaryDiagnostics is on a distinguished road
Default RX-8 Rolex 24 Poster

Check out the personally autographed poster I picked up at the track.
http://rotarydiagnostics.com/rx8s_2010_rolex_24.htm
RotaryDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryDiagnostics View Post
NICE FIND!! I'm missing Nick Ham and Bomarito's signature on the plaque I picked up at 7stock 10.

Nice collectable

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
Gregory Casimir
Rotary Fanatic

Gregory Casimir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryDiagnostics View Post
damn your one lucky dude to have that
Gregory Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote