Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
project88turbo
The Newbie

project88turbo is on a distinguished road
Default What engine are you on?

Just wanted to see how many engines you guys have gone thru. My buddy bought an 04 model and blew 2 engines before he traded in. First went out during the warranty period. Second engine barely made it 12,000 miles.

His only mods were a cat delete pipe and a Simota intake.

I'd like to think this isn't something Mazda has done wrong. Maybe something that can be blamed on either the servicing dealer or Mazda's choice of engine rebuilder.

Vince

88 Turbo
RotaryResurrection SP, SSAutochrome S4 manifold, HKS BOV pipe & filter adapter, Greddy BOV, 3" TID, RA 2-Stroke OMP adapter, 2751 block off plates, Venom 720cc secondaries, Rtek 1.7, ACT Streetlite FW, XTD clutch, Magnaflow Hi-flow Cat, RB Non-turbo Catback
project88turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
fikren
Rotary Fanatic

fikren is on a distinguished road

my 8 is still new so I don't count, but on an rx8 specific forum a pole was done and out of several hundred people something like 80+ percent were still on their first engine. I think alot of it is how you take care of it, regular oil changes, letting it warm up, using premix, etc. I think Kevin for one has an 8 with over 120k miles on it so theres some solid proof that they can last, problem is you always hear from the ones that blew an engine but rarely hear from the ones still trucking with the original.

2008 40th Anniversary Edition RX-8 - bankruptcy owned me
RE-Amemiya Super Dolphin Tail Exhaust-for sale
AutoExe Front and Rear Strut Bars-for sale
AutoExe Member Brace Set-for sale
2008 Honda CBR600RR - bankruptcy owned me
Motivation axle/fork/barend/frame sliders
ASV "unbreakable" shorty levers
Tripage Integrated Tailight and Adj FE
Proton Fushmounts
Akrapovic Hex Carbon/TI Slip On
Sato Rearsets
fikren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Pink Flea
Rotary Fan in Training

Pink Flea is on a distinguished road

Im on my first engine (knocking on wood until knuckles bleed). I have a MT 04 with exactly 111025 miles on her.
Pink Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

My '04 has 33K on the original engine - I just picked it up a month ago and hope that the previous owner took good care of it.

I plan to start running premix on fill-ups just to be safe. I've run premix in most all my past rotaries, so its no biggie to keep doing it on this one!
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

I8U is on a distinguished road

On my 2nd, the first went at 36k. I have 21k on this one and the last last compression check showed some surprising results! Not one chamber showing anything under 9.6!!! Goes to show a little premix goes a long way.
04 TiGray RX8 MT, LS2 coil setup, 3" midpipe, HKS Hi-power 3" exhaust, TEIN S-Techs, Hotchkis Adj F/R sways, K&N Typhoon V2, Steel braided brake lines, Redline drivetrain fluids, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, Cobalt XR2/GTS brake combo, MB Motorpsorts Weapons 18x9 +45 offset, 275/35's
I8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

this is just sad. NA rotaries are supposed to last, but not anymore?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

I think with anything - you get a mix of good and bad. Rotaries, NA or Turbo always take that extra maintenance to make sure you're oil levels were good, your water temps are good - and some people just jumped in them and took off never caring to check anything and of course ignored any signs of wear and then blame the mfg for not building a solid car?? BS...

I think its a small price to pay to have one of the best sports cars for under $40k.. hell, look at porsche #1 in worse reliability last year for 2007.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
SayNoToPistons
The Newbie

SayNoToPistons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18_2k View Post
this is just sad. NA rotaries are supposed to last, but not anymore?
RX8 is not the only modern sports car that needs engine replacement. 350z needed them, so did Porsche Boxters, and i'm willing to bet there are many more out there also.
SayNoToPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Renesis
~Mazda~Girl~

Renesis is on a distinguished road

I bought my car used august of 07 and it has had a re-manufactured engine, new tranny, new gears, and a new clutch. The engine was done a month after i got it and everything else took a month. went in the shop beginning of december came out mid january.

~~Jennifer~~
2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS
Renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

My 8 had 90+K when I bought it but the original owner blew the 1st motor with Greddy Turbo kid. He put a new reman and I bought it with 10K on the reman.. Now I've driven 10+ K and runs fine (except for the whole ECU limp thingy).

I also blame dealers for replacing engines though. When I had the issue with ECU, I called one of the 8 owner I knew and he told me that one of his friend had similar issue and when that guy took it into the dealership, they replaced the engine... Like the FD's back in the days... Dealers get trigger happy about replacing engines instead of actually trying to learn and fix simple issues.

Now I feel like there are very few FD owners blow up their motor with stock set up.. I think we just know more about these engines and forum like this will help you troubleshoot better.

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny

Last edited by Herblenny; 03-18-2008 at 07:04 AM..
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

Thats a good point about the dealerships -

Some of it may also be due to the owners, I've seen some owners throw hissy fits about their cars and demand a new engine, etc...