Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #1
Pietro931
Rotary Fan in Training

Pietro931 is on a distinguished road
Default 89 Turbo II 59k miles

Well it's time to purge a bit and the first thing to go is the 1989 Turbo II. It has 59,750 miles, Blaze Red and black leather interior. The compression is in the 9s on both rotors. All maintenance has been completed, New tires, touchscreen double din with all new speakers, paint is in remarkable condition and has been detailed. The front end was repainted due to the rare front lip being scraped up. Also at some point the passenger front quarter panel was also repainted due to being scratched. The car has never been in an accident and has a clean carfax. I am the second owner. All paperwork of recent maintenance including compression test is available. Tires, brake pads, NGK wires and plugs are new. The car runs and drives without issue and is turn key and ready to drive. Antenna and a couple of wiper speeds don't work. Since the audio is Bluetooth and flash drive usable no need for the Antenna. I only drove it on nice days no need for wipers.

A slight dent under the rear driver side back quarter which is hardly visible.

The car is in excellent condition in every way and ready for a new home.

Asking $14,500 which is in line with both NADA and Hagerty.

Pictures: 89 RX7 Turbo II - Polished and Detailed https://imgur.com/gallery/G1MGJ

Video: https://youtu.be/Jwg6ntrc2cU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160922_181328-1.jpg (201.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-09-22-22-17-58.jpg (9.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-16-20-45-18.jpg (132.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20160828_110339_HDR.jpg (112.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160828_110317_HDR.jpg (138.9 KB, 21 views)

Pietro931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Turbonut
The Newbie

Turbonut is on a distinguished road

Nice car. I don't see much action over here, but if asking that price, I'd fix the wiper switch, replace antennae cable, and install battery box top and have it like new with no problems.
Those replacement side skirts/fender extensions leave a lot to be desired as rarely do they match in color. Shame it wasn't repainted when they had the body panel(s) painted.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Pietro931
Rotary Fan in Training

The wiper switch and antenna where in the pricing. I can get those fixed whenever since they are not used at all. As for the rocker panels, I wanted them to be original but have been thinking of getting them repainted to better match the other panels. All in all these are not true issues, but I hear what you're saying. In person the panels don't look as they do in the pics, shading has a lot to do with the colors. I have had offers over 13k but the values on this is higher than that. No rush to sell, nice to have a choice of which rx7 to drive.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Turbonut
The Newbie

Even though mine were the Blaze Red, I still had them repainted to match the body. They are a real pain to remove, and when removed chances are the metal brackets come off the fender extension and rear of the side skirt, along with breakage of the plastic pin "wings" when the skirt is removed. Guess they could be painted while on the car, but.........
Another consideration is that now the repaint will be base/clear while the OE is single stage. We purchased our car new and wouldn't have had it repainted, but the wife was hit in the driver side door when stopped and a minor accident became a living nightmare and that's putting it mildy.
Good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Pietro931
Rotary Fan in Training

At this time I would rather have them a shade off and keep it stock. The more it gets tweak to perfection the more the price will increase.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Turbonut
The Newbie

Can't be stock as it was repainted before and the body extension(s) have been replaced.
Good luck with the sale
Old 10-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Pietro931
Rotary Fan in Training

The body extensions have not been replaced and the repaint was the nose and a quarter panel only. Rest of car is original.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
Turbonut
The Newbie

I still say the passenger side fender extension was replaced. Have seen many replacement fender extensions and they were darker than the body. In fact I had one replaced on my car as I turned into an extended curb and damaged the R/S extension. Got the car back from the shop and the extension was a shade darker. Had I known, I would have had the shop paint the extension. Actually, have never seen an extension/skirt from the factory with a shade difference.

Here's my car last year before it was repainted:

Look closely and you can see the fender extension is darker than the door.
Actually, you'll see that the fender is also slightly darker, but that occurred when the car was 3 months old and some nut backed into the headlight door and nicked the tip of the fender while the car was parked. Top of the fender was repainted but extension wasn't touched. Extension was replaced in 1995 when I struck the curb.

When the car was repainted last year, I had everything painted at one time to avoid any shade difference, including the 2 extra sets of side skirts , 2 extra sets fender extensions, 3 extra front spoilers, and a headlight door air intake.

Guess it really doesn't matter one way or the other as it's so insignificant.
Once again, good luck with the sale.

Last edited by Turbonut; 10-08-2016 at 07:05 AM..
Old 10-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Pietro931
Rotary Fan in Training

I see the shade difference on yours. When the front was taken off I asked to have them check if any parts were replaced or an accident occurred, no structural damage. I also had Mazda check to see if any parts were ever ordered for the car, none were. So it was definitely a repair that was due to a minor thing. You're right the only way to not have it slightly different is a complete repaint which would ruin the 98% of it that is original. The plastic parts are not an issue. In most lighting it's hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the info.