Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
Deividas
The Newbie

Deividas is on a distinguished road
Default question about rotor gears

Hello, i'm novice at rotary engines and new member at this forum
I'm interested in these engines, and wanna ask question about stationary and rotor gears. All info, that i can find, says, that these gears ensures the rotor moves exactly 1/3 turn for each turn of the eccentric shaft, but then how rotor can move differently, if there would be no gears? Can it move more or less than 1/3 turn for each turn of the eccentric shaft? Sorry if question is dumb, but i'm novice and i like to know

P.S. sorry for my english, it's not my native language

Old 03-24-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Slides
Rotary Fan in Training

Slides is on a distinguished road

You need the gears to constrain its motion or it would just crash the lobes of the rotor into the housing at random. It needs to be phased rotation to allow it to contain the different cycles or "strokes" too.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

^What he said, but to clarify a bit, the gear ratio is tied directly to rotor/housing geometry. So for the Mazda design, which is a 3 sided rotor, it has to be a 1:3 ratio - rotor turns 1/3 for every full revolution of the E-shaft to complete a 4 stroke Otto cycle of a internal combustion engine with a 3 sided rotor.

So for example if you designed a rotary engine with a 4 sided rotor and appropriate housing geometry to suit, the ratio would be 1:4 and so on.
Closed Thread