Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Inline fuel filter and flow

I bought a Fore Innovations fuel filter (8AN, http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/16-900.htm) to put it behind the UIM, but with the fittings it's too long so I'm switching to mounting two smaller filters (6AN) and plan to mount them, pressure sensors and check valves to the rear subframe.

I'm looking at these two filters (with an open mind to other options, but I need to get them ASAP so I can get the car back on the road)...

http://www.skspeed.com/ProductDetail...=XRP704406FS10

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/filters.html

I know the sizes on each of the filter bodies but I only know the flow for the RobbMc filter. I'm going for 10 micron and as small as possible while having enough LPH/GPH flow. I'm leaning toward getting the RobbMc PN 1073 large filter. But has anyone ever used that type of filter before and is it reliable, etc? I don't think I've seen that type of filter outside of using one for my water injection. And does anyone have any other input on things I should be considering?

speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Garfinkles Motor Works
RCC Contributor

Garfinkles Motor Works is on a distinguished road

I have my filter mounted to the rear subframe.In doing so I was able to remove the stock hard line in the rear which eliminates several tube to rubber joints which are failure points .The filter can be changed easily in quick time .Do not put it in the engine bay because if something leaks it may start a fire .
Garfinkles Motor Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #3
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

I ended up getting two RobbMc filters and mounting them to the subframe, then wrapping the exhaust in DEI titanium exhaust wrap since it's kinda close to one of the lines. Upon first try at starting the car I had a rather large fuel leak because I hadn't tightened the lines enough. I got them tight, but I still haven't had much luck getting the car running enough to drive it because I need someone to tune it, and it's infuriating because I'm about to leave country for a few months and can't even drive it before I leave lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Kman Art
The Converted

Kman Art is on a distinguished road

I'm in the process of redoing my entire fuel system and I went with a fuelab filter. They allow the lowest filtration I've ever seen and also offer ethanol friendly filters.

I've never seen the filter you first mention. Thing looks sweet!

If you did a single filter to your subframe, or under the car, you could do a -8 split to two -6. Due to the fact that I enjoy complicating things, I went with an xcessive LIM and will be blocking off my primary injector holes.

I also agree that the fuel filter mounted outside of the engine bay is a good idea. Other than that, my recommendations might end up with your car on a lift for 8 months. It's a sickness that I have learned to live with. Wife not so happy about it though.
Kman Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

How low of filtration did you get? These filters that I got are compatible with E85 too if I remember right. Yeah that other filter is nice, but it's huge lol. I saw that John Renna got that one and checked it out and liked it. Just can't use it for my application.

The reason I went with two filters is because I'm using check valves and pressure sensors, one for each line, so it would have defeated the purpose if I ran them both into the filter unless I put them before the filter. The reason I put them after was so it would let me know if I had a filter blockage too. Also, I'm running two separate lines to the front, so basically I would put them both into the huge filter, and then split them again after, only to join them again in the engine bay. I also have an Xcessive LIM and thought about doing what you're planning, but I just blocked the extra ports on the LIM.

I understand your pain. This engine rebuild took way longer than anticipated because of all the "while I'm in there" additional projects lol. And it's still not running, so... lol
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Kman Art
The Converted

I would like to say 10micron, but not the e85 filter. I bought it a while back n its still sitting in my garage along with a stack of other parts.

I'm doing the CJ dual pump hanger with two Bosch 044. Instead of running dual lines all the way to the front, I'm doing two -6 into one -8. I should try to fit check valves before the Y, but I keep forgetting to order them.

My end goal is to have as simple setup as possible, and a single fuel rail with a single turbo feels like the right way to do that. I have no emissions to worry about and there is no such thing as noise from a car, only music
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Yeah mine is 10 micron also.

I went with the CJ dual hanger as well, and I bought 044s to use, but I felt they would be a huge PITA to fit through the hole and still hook up the level sensor, and also hook all that up to the HPP in-tank surge tank, so I got Aeromotive Stealths. Then I found out I can't hook those up to the surge tank either LOL. So now I'm planning on making my own kind of surge tank to go inside the tank. I think those 044s come with check valves attached to the outlet of the pump, don't they? Are you going to do a hardline all the way to the front or stainless steel braided?

Your setup sounds like it'll be pretty simple. We don't have emissions here either, thank goodness, but they're talking about bringing it back. If they do, I'm screwed. They do hit you for noise here, but my setup is about half as loud as it used to be and my car is registered in another state lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Kman Art
The Converted

I had the previlidge of visiting Summit Racing in Atlanta and picked up some black nylon braided lines for my fuel system.

SS lines look great, but they have to be isolated from everything to avoid chafing.

Oh yeah, be very careful at Summit if any of you ever go. You almost need horse blinders so you don't go crazy. Luckily, my wife took some photos, so I was able to see the sections I missed lol.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Oh OK. Are you concerned about running nylon braided lines along the bottom of the car? That's part of the reason I stuck with the stock hard lines. That and having a nice clean mounting where it runs along the bottom. I've gotten in this mood to try to make as much as possible look stock-ish while keeping all the performance bits. Like cleaning up the interior and making it look as stock as possible, along with the hatch area and some other parts of the car. The engine bay I'm trying to clean out as much as possible and the exterior of the car definitely doesn't look stock lol.

Anyway, I'm more into nylon braided lines these days myself. I still have SS braided lines on the fuel system in the engine bay and at the rear, but that's just because I figured they'd be harder to chafe than nylon braided, and I'm not as worried about what they're rubbing against being damaged. For the most part I'm kinda over the look of SS braided lines. I like the look of nylon braided lines better. I hope to do hardlines for the fuel lines in the engine bay someday though. And maybe hardlines for oil and coolant as much as possible too.

Yeah I imagine it would be tough to not buy everything in sight in a store like that lol.