Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Win
The Newbie

Win is on a distinguished road
Default 1979 carb problem

Having trouble with gas pouring in at the bottom of the carb in my 79 GS. Looking for someone to work on it or looking to sell the car. I am the original owner, car is in good shape otherwise with 96K on it. It runs, but can't be driven for long due to carb problem.

Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
mystery
Rotary Fan in Training

mystery is on a distinguished road

what state you live in? by bottom of the carb you refering to the primary jets or the bowls wont fill up?
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Win
The Newbie

I am in CT. It looks like the gas is pouring in at the bottom of the carb. The float sight windows appear to be normal.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
mystery
Rotary Fan in Training

are you able to dump fuel into the carb and have it turn over? cause it sounds as though your having the same issue i had which was at first there was crap in the gas tank and it made it to the carb which then filled up my floats which wouldn't allow fuel to pass through the passages it needed. needless to say sounds like youll either need a new one or rebuild one you have which would be cheaper. if theres fuel coming out of your primary jets youd be in good shape but theres a diaphram on the side very small one that makes it happen which could be clogged up all of which would come with the rebuild kit.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Win
The Newbie

Thanks for the tips. The engine does run until it warms up, then it runs rough and has no power because of all the excess gas it is getting. This carb is actually a rebuilt one I bought a couple years ago. I have been working on this issue a long time, and can't solve it. I am really looking for someone who might be able to fix it, or to sell the car, since it is no longer usable.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

It's been ages since I messed with anything that has a carb, but if its flooding or running rich when warmed up, it sounds to me that your carb needs a rebuild/replacement. I'm assuming you haven't done anything to increase fuel pressure, and if it has a stock fuel pressure regulator it still works. You may also have fuel tank/system corrosion problems that can be a factor as well - bits of rust particles and/or dissolved rubber/plastic part turds in the fuel system (due to the ethanol they add to gas these days) can jack up an otherwise good carb.

If you're in CT, don't mind driving it to PA and are looking for an honest shop to sort this out for you and NOT rip you off, I'd recommend giving Dave Barringer (sp?) at Speed1 a call. Dave used to train Mazda techs back in the 80's, and knows these cars inside & out. Here's his contact info:

http://www.speed1allentown.com/
898 Old RT. 22
Lenhartsville, PA 19534
Phone (610) 756-3000
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
mystery
Rotary Fan in Training

mine would do the same thing... on 3 different carbs i had found around town in salvage yards. i eventually attempted to rebuild one and it still had done the same thing. my advise on a stock setup check fuel pressure should be between 3 and 4 lbs and if that checks out completely replace the carb i was told by more than one rotary shop that the center piece of those carbs get porus and wont hold enough vaccum to keep it running high possiblity your experiencing the same thing.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
Win
The Newbie

Thanks to both of you for the help. The car is not driveable, since it stalls and has no power once warmed up. The carb I have now is a rebuilt one, and I don't really want to try another one. I think the best way forward for me is to sell the car.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
13x
SinCityRotary

13x is on a distinguished road

don't give up .... flooded would be stuck float .... also make sure the idle mixture is not too rich

Email
13x is offline   Reply With Quote