Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo Inlet Duct fabrication & BOVs

Well after a long wait, I got my turbo back from BNR Friday. I think Bryan took good care of me with this and it should be worth the wait. To jog everyone's memory, my turbo was a stock S5 with the BNR stage 1 rebuild treatment that had a premature life - she started smoking heavily after I put about 10K miles on it. Even though the 1 year warranty expired, Bryan agreed to rebuild it again but this time with all new parts and he only charged me the cost of the new parts. So I now have a turbo that is built with all new parts - new turbine wheel/shaft, CHRA housing, compressor wheel and of course all the new bearings, seals & rebuild parts. Another bonus was I got the same larger compressor housing & wheel this time as he puts in the Stage 2 units.

The only downside to this is my "to do" list for Deals Gap has grown substantially longer... The stock TID no longer fits, so I'll have to fab one up, and this most likely means I won't be able to retain the stock air filter box, and I might need to do something about the stock compressor bypass valve (CBV - aka stock version of a BOV) as well, which brings on my questions...

1. I'm running an Rtek 2.x ECU, so that means the AFM needs to stay, and I'm still going to run with stock boost control, so boost pressures will stay within 7.5~8.5 PSI range, but this upgraded compressor side will flow a greater volume of air than what I had. Does this warrant going to an aftermarket BOV, or can I retain the stock CBV that recirculates to the TID? I hope I can retain the stock CBV, although that will slightly complicate the TID plumbing fabrication.

2. If I REALLY need to go aftermarket BOV, what would you guys recommend? Selection criteria is (1) Protect my turbo from compressor surge, and (2) Pick the least obnoxious sounding BOV that meets the #1 criteria. As for plumbing it in, I bought the aluminum charge pipe that Corksport sells, so I figure that I can cut off the CBV nipple on it and find someone to weld the appropriate BOV flange/bung to it to mount up whatever BOV that I buy.

3. On the TID fabrication, the compressor inlet is 3" diameter, and the AFM outlet is about 3-1/16", so 3" silicone will work on both ends. Since I lack welding skills, I figure I'll use a silicone bend from the compressor, to an mandrel bent AL bend, and then a straight silicone coupler to join the AL pipe to the AFM outlet. Since it's an S5, I can just slap a round/cone K&N filter on the AFM inlet. I can make up some new brackets to locate the AFM, using the stock bracket mounting points. If I stick with the stock CBV, I'll need to plumb that back in to the TID, as well as the 2 other smaller lines. My options are (1) Find someone to weld some nipples onto the AL section, or (b) Pick up a few of these grommet & nipple things from Verocious Motorsports to add the fittings:

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...m-Line-Fitting

Thoughts? When all this crap is done, hopefully I'll have time to get up to Speed1 for a tuning session to get it all dialed in before DGRR.

Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

For anyone interested, here's a picture of what my TID ended up looking like. I'm liking the results I retained the stock recirculating CBV and the ports for the S5 boost control line and crankcase vent. Starting from the turbo, it's a 3" silicone coupler that connects to a 45* AL mandrel bend. The pipe was a total of 1 foot long, with equal length legs, beaded at both ends. What I had to do was cut about 3" off the turbo side leg. Then I picked up some 3/4" OD AL tubing to make the nipple for the CBV connection, and picked up two 1/4 NPT aluminum bungs and two barb fittings for the 2 hoses. Found a local shop that welded the bungs & pipe nipple to the 45* bend where I indicated, and he also beaded the nipple & cut end of the pipe for me - not bad for $50. Note to self: Learn to weld! To connect the AFM to the AL TID pipe, and get it at an angle that is horizontal, I had a 3" ID 45* silicone bend that I cut most of the legs off on both sides, which gave me about another 20* of bend and took care of the connection on both ends. In retrospect, a hump-hose coupler might be better, but this seems to work fine. I re-purposed the bracket on the bottom of the stock air filter box, and built up the rest of the AFM bracket with some 1" X 1/8" thick AL stock. The new air filter is a K&N #RC-70040, which fits the AFM perfectly, and has more surface area than the stock panel filter, yet is small enough to squeeze into the tight space available.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1254.jpg (184.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Man, overkill on the hardware!
Those t-bolt clamps are kinda overkill for that section which really only sees vacuum.

Glad you're happy with it!

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Yeah the T-bolt clamps are overkill, but wasn't too pricey. I tried re-purposing the clamps from the stock TID, but they were a tad too large in diameter to clamp down tight enough. I picked up the T-bolt clamps @ $2.60 each from siliconeintakes.com which is where I got the mandrel bent AL pipe, coupler & silicone bends.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Looks really good Pete. Sorry I missed it the first time around, you'll be more than fine with the stock BOV and yeah, should definitely keep it re routed as you did. THe other option would be the greedy one with the recirc outlet, TiAL makes a really nice one as well....

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
don3vor
The Newbie

don3vor is on a distinguished road

Looks good pete
don3vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Thanks guys. Today I took the day off work and had Dave B. at Speed1 tune the new setup for me on the dyno. I'm very happy with the results

Run #011 (above) was the final tune, and by that time the IAT's were on the high side. One of the earlier pulls, which was a tad leaner than Dave liked and at lower IAT's hit 303 RWHP (below, run #008)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyno_Pulls_010-011.jpg (94.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Dyno_Pulls_005-009.jpg (116.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
don3vor
The Newbie

don3vor is on a distinguished road

Wow! That is awsome Pete and your still using the top mount intercooler ,correct?
don3vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Yup, still has the stock top mount IC.