Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
sen2two
KTEC

sen2two is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant temp sensor locations

I have an FC aluminum water pump housing on my 12a, and I normally use the stock temp sensor location for my gauge located on the back side of the water pump housing. I have also ran a sensor in the radiator in the past as well. I have been thinking about changing the location to the sensor located in the rear iron right below the oil pressure sending unit.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to one location vs. the other? I would think that the sensor in the block would be the most beneficial temperature to moniter. thoughts?

93 Touring: TRADED - 91 Coupe: TRADED - 90 GTU: RHD - 88 10AE: SOLD - 87 Base: SOLD - 86 Base: SOLD - 1985 GSLSE - 85 Gsl: SOLD - 80 Gs: TRADED - 1972 Rx2
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
rxspeed7
The fan hit the shit!

rxspeed7 is on a distinguished road

Your going to get more flow past it by the thermostat and give you more accurate readings there. In the rear iron your likely to get stagnant flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE RACING View Post
I suppose you could orally BDC or even anally BDC someone? or be BDC'd in those two ways also

Many ways you can get BDC'd
rxspeed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
sen2two
KTEC

Thats true. but I am leaning towards the rear iron location since I care more about the temperature of the motor more than water flowing through a system.
93 Touring: TRADED - 91 Coupe: TRADED - 90 GTU: RHD - 88 10AE: SOLD - 87 Base: SOLD - 86 Base: SOLD - 1985 GSLSE - 85 Gsl: SOLD - 80 Gs: TRADED - 1972 Rx2
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

I think the choice depends on what you are using the temp sensor for. Are you using it just to drive a gauge to monitor temps, or is it being used as a coolant temp input to a stand alone ECU?

FWIW, Mazda engineers chose the real iron location for the dash temp gauge, and the water pump housing for ECU control purposes. For the latter ECU case, you'll want to sense coolant temps as it exits the engine in a place that sees steady & uniform coolant flow and isn't as heat soaked by the thermal mass of the structure it bolts into, so the sensor can quickly respond to small changes in coolant temp due to engine load. The WP housing fits the bill nicely here.

For a guage, where you just need it to warn you of trends toward impending doom, the rear iron location works nicely because it's physically closer to the spark plugs where combustion happens (localized hot spot), so it will respond to a boilover trend before the WP housing location would. Also, the physical location in the rear housing would probably heat soak a bit more than the WP housing site, so your gauge would have less pronounced fluctuations vs. load. Ideally, once the engine is warmed up to operating temp, you won't want to see too much of rate of change in the temp gauge reading, but you would want it to rapidly respond to a boilover condition.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
sen2two
KTEC

Its just for a gauge... This motor is has webers, so no ECU.

I'm going with the Rear iron location.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
sen2two
KTEC

Its just for a gauge... This motor is has webers, so no ECU.

I'm going with the Rear iron location for now. It's only a 5 minute swap to another location.