Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
mfisher12
Rotary Fan in Training

mfisher12 is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 mx-5 wants renisis

Just doing a little research to see if anyone has put a Renisis into a 06-12 Miata. I have a customer at work who would like to do the swap in his girlfriends car.
I am mostly wondering if this has been done, how keeping the CAN system worked out and options for power steering.
if nobody has done this swap before i will post the outcome with pictures if successful and if the customer wants to pursue this project ( I hope they do!!)
I appriciate any input! thanks guys!!

mfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Mazmart has done it. They had some teaser vids on Youtube and such, then it disappeared.

Kinda irritating when shops do that kind of thing. They were claiming they would offer a complete kit to plug and play the Renesis into the Miata. I think if you search Youtube for Renesis Miata you'll find it. Also, I think some guy in OZ did it as well.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Oyvindjs
Rotary Fan in Training

Oyvindjs is on a distinguished road

if my memory serves me correctly, and what i have read is right, the first ones that stuffed the renesis engine in a miata, was Mazda themselfes actually

Back before the rx8-thought was conseived, Ford was much heavier into Mazda then now. When Mazda engineers approached Ford execs with the thought of developing and building a new RX car, they were "shut down" by Ford, probably due to Ford not wanting a competitor to their sportier vehicles....
Mazda engineers and Mazda HQ in japan took this very personally, as the rotary engine allways has been a very dear consept to them.
Mazda engineers started an "undercover" project, and used much of their free time and own time(after work hours) to develop the renesis engine.

They stuffed the renesis-consept into a miata(chassis-wise close to what they pictured as a lightweight sportscar,with a 13B N/A engine) and shipped it to Ford HQ to let the execs have a go in it, and they were blown away by it and freed up the funds to develop the RX-8.
Oyvindjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Boosted FC
Rotary & Boost Addict

Boosted FC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
Mazmart has done it. They had some teaser vids on Youtube and such, then it disappeared.

Kinda irritating when shops do that kind of thing. They were claiming they would offer a complete kit to plug and play the Renesis into the Miata. I think if you search Youtube for Renesis Miata you'll find it. Also, I think some guy in OZ did it as well.
The car is still around & is being finished. Just like any project, it takes time.

'05 Copper 6s, '87 TII RX7...248whp & 224wtq @ 12lbs
Boosted FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
mfisher12
Rotary Fan in Training

thanks for the info guys !! i'll let you know if it ever transpires
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
mfisher12
Rotary Fan in Training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eziq3RoRvMo

found it!!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
mfisher12
Rotary Fan in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post

Dj!! funny i asked about this along time ago then i end up working in it getting it to fire up for the 1st time in years...it is a very well done swap...paul just needs some time, help, money and time and money and hell get it done!!