Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Motorsport Discussion

Motorsport Discussion Talk about any motorsport discussion.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road
Default 787B to return to Le Mans

Just a shame it's not actually racing

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/relea...5/110520a.html

Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

I remember that shit and it was also the first year I owned a RX7! 20 fucken years ago!!!!

Long time to be into rotaries, seen so many pretenders come and go from them in that time
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Nutsid
Temporarily insane.

Nutsid is on a distinguished road

I just headed over here to post this story as well, only reported via Motor Trend.

Quote:
To celebrate its 20th anniversary of its historic Le Mans win in 1991, the Mazda 787B will make an appearance at this year’s 24-hour race. As the first and only Japanese manufacturer to take the win at one of motorsports’ most challenging and prestigious endurance races, Mazda’s attendance at the 79th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans also coincides with the 50th anniversary of its development of the rotary engine — the engine that carried the 787B to victory.

Along with being the only Japanese competitor to win Le Mans, the 787B was the first and only winner powered by a rotary engine. Jointly developed by Mazda and Mazdaspeed, Mazda’s performance wing and manager of its racing efforts, the 787B was the product of 17 years of sports car racing as well as Mazda’s advancement of the rotary engine. The 787B’s 4-rotor engine was tuned to 700 PS (690 hp), but was capable of producing upwards of 900 hp. While the 787B’s rotary played a major role in its 1991 win, running that engine at Le Mans the next year wasn’t an option, thanks to changes to the World Sports Car Championship’s (WSC) Group C regulations. Still, Mazda continues its participation in sports car racing and occasionally contests the famed 24-hour race in France.

Having sat in the Mazda Museum in Hiroshima, Japan, since its Le Mans win, the 787B needed to be restored to driving condition before it could take to Le Mans’ Circuit de la Sarthe once again. For this, Mazda tapped its current employees who originally participated in the 787B’s racing campaign as well as engineers from its subsidiary engineering company Mazda E&T. Once thoroughly inspected and reconditioned, the race car was put through its paces by Mazda’s in-house development drivers, who confirmed that the 787B was ready for duty again. Now back in top form, the 787B can properly demonstrate its 10,500-rpm redline to crowds at Le Mans before this year’s race in June.

Various members of the 1991 Mazda team will be attending the race to witness the 787B’s return to the track they conquered 20 years ago. Among them, one of the three winning drivers, Johnny Herbert, and Mazda drivers of the 1991 WSC season, David Kennedy and Pierre Dieudonné, will be in attendance. Representing Mazda’s new crop of drivers, actor and racing driver Patrick Dempsey, who races a Mazda RX-8 in the GT class of the Grand-Am Rolex series, also plans to attend. Although rotaries aren’t favored by the current rules governing Le Mans, Mazda’s commitment to the engine design is still strong in other series, such as Grand-Am and the Star Mazda Championship, a spec series that employs rotary-powered open wheel racers. Since first tinkering with the rotary engine in 1961, Mazda has since developed the power plant for applications in passenger cars and, of course, race cars. Mazda says that its Le Mans win, while historic in its own right, was just one step in the evolution of its engines, which will soon enter another phase of advancement through the company’s next-generation SkyActive technology. With a history rooted in competition, the lengths gone to by Mazda to celebrate the anniversary of its Le Mans win certainly shows how much that achievement means to the brand.

Source: Mazda

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/mazda-787b...#ixzz1N6ShFIeg
http://wot.motortrend.com/mazda-787b...ans-80091.html
Leaders are not essential, we are TAUGHT to believe we need them, that we are not able to assume responsibility for ourselves. Lies created leaders, lies perpetuate leaders, lies destroy joy and creativity and hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikougan View Post
Did you just call us Penis Wrinkles?
For my music blog: dustinsmusicblog.blogspot.com

For my collection of short stories:
Kindle
Nook
Nutsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Another one to add to the list:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05...rn-to-le-mans/
Quote:
A Rotary Will Wail At Le Mans Once Again
By Chuck Squatriglia May 23, 2011 | 9:00 am | Categories: Cool Cars

Twenty years ago, Mazda became the first — and so far only — Japanese automaker to win the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans. To celebrate the anniversary, Mazda is bringing the winning car out of retirement to take another lap of the famed track.

The Mazda 787B was one hell of a car, the first and only rotary-engine racer to win at Le Mans. It was an evolution of the 787, a Group-C prototype built to compete in the World Sportscar Championship series, Le Mans and other events.

Power came from an R26B four-rotary engine with continuously variable intake and three spark plugs per rotor. Although the 3.5-liter engines raced at Le Mans could put down 900 horsepower, they were limited to 700 to ensure longevity. The engine was bolted to a Porsche five-speed gearbox. The 787B wasn’t as quick as its competitors, but it was remarkably reliable.

Mazda entered three cars. They weren’t favored to win, and the best of them started 19th. The No. 55 car driven by Johnny Herbert, Volker Weidler, and Bertrand Gachot climbed to third in the early stages of the race. It moved into second as night fell. With three hours left, the Mercedes-Benz C11 leading the race took to the pits with mechanical problems, leaving Herbert to take the win.

The No. 55 car completed 362 laps and covered 4932.2 kilometers (3,064.7 miles). The other two Mazda entries finished sixth and eighth. Changes in the rules made 1991 the last year rotaries would compete at Le Mans.

Mazda meticulously restored the 787B ahead of its demonstration lap around Circuit de la Sarthe before the start of the race on June 11. The car has spent most of the past two decades on display at the Mazda Museum in Hiroshima.

As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, members of the winning team will return to Le Mans, including Herbert and drivers David Kennedy and Pierre Dieudonné.

Photos: Mazda

Former Mazda factory drivers Yoshimi Katayama, Takashi Yorino and Yojiro Terada put the restored 787B through its paces at Mazda’s Mine Proving Ground in western Japan.

The No. 55 car wore bright orange paint in honor of key sponsor Renown. The other two cars raced at Le Mans with Mazda’s traditional blue and white livery.

The No. 55 car got a complete post-race teardown and rebuild to prepare it for its demonstration run at Le Mans next month.

The R26B engine: 700 horsepower in race trim and one hell of a glorious racket.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
dregg100
Rotary Fanatic

dregg100 is on a distinguished road

Now we just need it at Sevenstock!

'93 SSM Touring-S475...
'87 Tii-LS1/T56
dregg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

I read before that after the race they inspected the engine and found the wear on the seals and housings was miniscule, to the point where they could have run an entire season and had 0 issues in that department.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Mazdabater
FC3S

Theres some photos up on ausrotary of it getting rebuilt, I'll link em later when I get some time
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Mazdabater
FC3S

Seems like she is up and running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPHs...layer_embedded
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Mazdabater
FC3S

Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Monkman33
Still Building my FD

Monkman33 is on a distinguished road

Wow!!!!! Those pictures are awesome!
Monkman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Mazdabater
FC3S

Yeah the whole 3 plug per rotor is interesting!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
EJayCe996
PPP-P-P-P-POWER!

EJayCe996 will become famous soon enough

Looks like they got the variable length runners working again.
4. PROFIT!

Axiomatic: Total cacology.
EJayCe996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Nutsid
Temporarily insane.

Nutsid is on a distinguished road

Fucking awesome. Thanks for the pictures.
Leaders are not essential, we are TAUGHT to believe we need them, that we are not able to assume responsibility for ourselves. Lies created leaders, lies perpetuate leaders, lies destroy joy and creativity and hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikougan View Post
Did you just call us Penis Wrinkles?
For my music blog: dustinsmusicblog.blogspot.com

For my collection of short stories:
Kindle
Nook
Nutsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough