Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
sv51macross
Rotary Fan in Training

sv51macross is on a distinguished road
Default Q on the clutch pedal

Well, this seemed like the least-unfit section to post this. For awhile, the clutch had a soft feel to it, and attempts at bleeding the slave yielded sputtering and spitting now matter how much was bled, the screw just didn't work right. So fast forward a few months and I'm driving home from class at an exuberant rate, and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. After promptly crapping myself, I pull over and free the pedal from the phantom catching. I thought that one or both cylinders in the clutch circuit were going, but the sticking pedal has not returned (albeit no spirited driving) and after adjusting the slack out of the pedal, it feels nice and firm.

Someone on RX7club.com posted on another person asking about a similar experience and said that a maladjusted pedal could cause it to stick...any truth to this? It's approaching two weeks since it happened, and the clutch pedal hasn't stuck since.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
RotaryDiagnostics
Compression Tester Man

RotaryDiagnostics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv51macross View Post
Someone on RX7club.com posted on another person asking about a similar experience and said that a maladjusted pedal could cause it to stick...any truth to this? It's approaching two weeks since it happened, and the clutch pedal hasn't stuck since.
I doubt it. Most likely a problem with the clutch master cylinder internal seal allowing the fluid to intermittently "leak" past the seal when depressing the pedal. Replace the master, and slave while you're at it, and bleed the system.
RotaryDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Buggy
I've been Wankeled!

Buggy is on a distinguished road

+1 FC clutch master cylinders suck. I've had 2 fail on me in the past and the one in my Rx-4 as well. That will be the cause of the problem. Also replace the slave cylinder too incase any debris from the clutch master got into it. Check your flex hose as well. All of these parts are now old and the rubber just fails.
Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
braggy_g2
The Newbie

braggy_g2 is on a distinguished road

I agree with above post.
You need to check for leaks on both Master Cylinders and Release Cylinders and hoses.
If one of the cylinders are worn, it is best to replace both Master and Release Cylinders.

It happend to me.
In 2006 I replaced the Release Cylinder then all of a sudden the next year the Master Cylinder gave up and was leaking badly.
braggy_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Master is on it's way out. Happens every year when the weather turns cold, the hyrdo's start to fail.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
rx4ur7
Rotary since 1972

rx4ur7 is on a distinguished road

TT is correct. Clutch pedal staying to floor is internal fluid bypass in the master. OH or renew. If you use a Mazda kit and the bore is not rusted/pitted it can be honed and used for another 100K as long as you change the fluid every 3year or 30K miles for normal driving conditions.
Biggest problem with Brake and clutch systems is that no one changes the fluid. As fluid gets old and dirty it has a tendency to absorb even more moisture, which settles at the bottom of the cylinders, rusting them, damaging the cups.
As I tell all my clients, brake fluid is cheaper than masters, slaves, calipers and cylinders. (that way we can put more money into the motor when it comes time)
rx4ur7 is offline   Reply With Quote