Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > Re-Speed

Re-Speed www.re-speed.com (GA) Custom rotary parts, specializing in 85-older

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough
Default Springs / Rates for Coilover kit

i have an 82 FB setup with the GSLSE suspension. Currently i have some adjustable struts and eibach springs, but want to upgrade to the coilover kit you offer.

The only question i have is the spring length and rate. I am assuming that th shorter the spring length the lower the car sits. What is the norm for length? 7 or 8 inch? Then comes the rates, what exactly would you recommend rate wise? I am moving to colorado so the roads are smooth (and fun). The car falls under toy status and generally speaking my tolerances of harshness on the street are pretty high.

I was thinking about the 2.5"x7" in a 425 to 450 rate front (mostly because i plan on running the heavier 13b and possible turbo components in the future) and getting the kit also for the rear and run with a rear 200.

I currently have ST sway bars, stock otherwise. Im figuring camber plates would also be a good upgrade? Would i need them upon install of the above setup?

Last edited by Whizbang; 09-02-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

The rates you list for the front, are probably a bit over the top. I have 350F/200R, and the ride is firm, but not harsh. I actually like the ride quality, as it's only marginally firmer than before, when I had the ST springs.
My setup uses 7" x 2.5" Eibach front springs, so I would venture a guess that 7" springs are plenty long enough. Any longer spring would require lowering the bottom perch further, and wouldn't be of any real benefit.
With 7" springs, and a 4" threaded collar, I chose 5" from the top as a spring perch location. This will allow me to adjust from stock hiegth (or higher), to ~3.5" lower than stock. The latter setting will not allow much travel before the strut bottoms out internally.
The location I chose for the spring perch also prevented he need to relocate the brake hose bracket on the strut housing. Going any lower would have required lowering the bracket as well. This was on S2 strut housings, I don't know if SE housings have a different brake hose bracket location. The SE housings that came with my coilover parts have had the bracket relocated, and the lower perch was 5.5" from the top of the housing. I may use these on my SE, which is destined to become a primarily track use car. I doubt I would daily drive an SE with RB intake and edelbrock 600, in a fairly stripped out car, when I have the GS with AC and cruise.
Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Would the increase in weight from the heavier 13b cause a need for a slighter heighter spring rate?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

I wouldn't think the extra weight of a 13B would really need a stiffer spring. It's not that much different in weight from a 12A. Especially considering I still have a fully functioning AC on the car.
You also have to take into account the struts. Having adjustable struts also affects how the spring rates will alter the ride characteristics of the car. You can stiffen a softer spring by stiffening the strut. It's kinda hard to soften a too-stiff spring. Aftermarket swaybars also factor in here, since the front is almost always much larger than stock.
The idea is to create a suspension setup that will work well together, without destroying the ride quality on a car that will see street use. Overly stiff suspension only works well on a very smooth track. The rest of the time, it's more of a nuisance than anything. Few streets are really smooth enough for an overly stiff suspension to work well.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Whizbang
Respecognize!

hmm...so ill probably just opt for the setup you seem to be having good experience with and see what happens from there.

I also was looking at the other items RE Speed sells, including the sphereical kits. Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

For a street car, forget the spherical stuff. The lack of rubber to isolate the bumps will have you regretting the installation of spherical bearings.
For a track car, they're great.

The spring rates I have are probably about the upper limit for a street driven FB, given the prevailing road conditions in Ok, so your experience may vary.
The car can feel a little twitchy on the rougher sections of the twisties, but is great most of the time.
I don't have aftermarket sways, and I only have KYB GR2 struts/shocks. Both of these are factors in how my car rides/handles. I don't have camber plates, either.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Whizbang
Respecognize!

hmm...seeing your now my unoffical expert.

I was also reading about the "roll center blocks". Didnt really explain well enough to me as to why i would want them and how they effect the ride and if they are worth their fiscal merit.

Aside from that would just getting a good poly bushing set as opposed to the spherical bearings stuffs be a good idea?

Should i guess that the low control arm kit (the replacement rod end piece) is basically not worth while either?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

The roll center blocks correct for loss of suspension geometery on cars that are lowered by more than 1.5-2". When a car is lowered that far, the pivot point in the ball joint can actually be higher than the control arm bushing. This is detrimental to handling.
If you are going no more than the normal 1-1.5" drop in the front, they really aren't needed. Especially on the street. If you plan to run SCCA CSP autox, they're not allowed.
Poly bushings up front, and in the lower rear arms, are worth the investment, particularly if your current rubber bushings are in need of replacement. Do not put poly bushings in the rear upper arms. Bad karma.... The current bushings are probably due for replacement, unless they are less than 5 years old.
As for the rod end mod on the stay rod, I wouldn't do it on a street car. I cannot recall if this is an allowed mod for SCCA CSP. I don't *think* it is, but wouldn't put money on it. I'm pretty sure none of the spherical bearing's are legal in CSP, aside from possibly the stay rod.

Again, all of these are my opinions, based on a street driven car. A car that will only see track use is totally different. My buddy has a track-only FB, and it has all of the listed mods.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
bwaits
Talk - Action = Nothing

bwaits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff View Post
Again, all of these are my opinions, based on a street driven car. A car that will only see track use is totally different. My buddy has a track-only FB, and it has all of the listed mods.
Wow......I need to set you up with the password to the ReSpeed technical email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance View Post
Aside from that would just getting a good poly bushing set as opposed to the spherical bearings stuffs be a good idea? Should i guess that the low control arm kit (the replacement rod end piece) is basically not worth while either?
All very good advice above. To get a bit deeper in depth on the rates: The spring rates can not be to high or the shocks will not control them. The standard off the shelf shocks sold for the first gen are good for about 350# up front. You really do not need rates higher than that. We have tried all the way up to 500# on the front and settle on 375#-425# with the use of custom valved Bilstien inserts for the IT car.

Metal to metal pivot points (As in Spherical) are harsh for the street. The major down side is the dirt and grime. They need to be kept very clean or the grime starts to score the metal. Once that starts you have slop in the sphericals. Once you have slop they get louder and sloppier. Best to stick with poly for the street.

Our delrin stay rods are great for the street.

Roll center blocks go between the steering arm and the strut housing. They basically move the outer pivot point (Ball Joint) down the compensate for the inner pivot (LCA to crossmember) being moved down during lowering.

Spring length standards are 8" for the race kit and 7" for the street kit.

-billy
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Whizbang
Respecognize!

alright so i should going forward with getting the coilovers here come spring.

it says the street coilovers cant handle more than a 250 lb spring but you mention 350 up front. So did you run the road race kit?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
bwaits
Talk - Action = Nothing

bwaits is on a distinguished road

Street Kit = 7" Spring, 250# max
Race Kit = 8" or 10" spring, any spring rate

-billy
Old 11-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
FIBREMAZ 13 BEEF
Mazda Carbon FIbre Master

FIBREMAZ 13 BEEF is on a distinguished road

My vote for spring rate would go to 350Lb, been running this rate for a while and very happy with the handling and ride
FIBREMAZ 13 BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Whizbang
Respecognize!

so ill opt for the road race kit then.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Fed View Post
alright so i should going forward with getting the coilovers here come spring.

it says the street coilovers cant handle more than a 250 lb spring but you mention 350 up front. So did you run the road race kit?
Yeah, I'm running 350# front springs on my coilover setup, but my setup came from GC, it's very similar to the road race kit from billy. I was planning to buy the RR kit from billy, but found a deal (WAY) too good to pass up on the GC stuff.
The minor welding required to install the RR coilover kit is pretty simple to do. I did the full conversion, including swapping rear springs, in less than 3 hours.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Whizbang
Respecognize!

looks like a good way to go. once i finish the rx8 transmission swap install its my next step. Cars are such a never ending project.