Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #31
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

Forgot to add, both these FD3S's accelerated as hard as the Lambo Gelato and the Ferrari 458 GT3 (both around ~600bhp cars).

The FD3S that ran rings around Rics RX8 is at a class mandated limit of 1350kg, running a holigner gearbox (stuffed into and around the stock FD3S gear box casing to remain within the rules!)... and they actually run limited power (said was around 400rwkw) as they have a power to weight parity formula.

Anyway just putting in some context behind just the 'dyno sheet mentality' like I was talking with the IPRA winning RX7 team just before the final race, the BS stops when you get out your stop watch and measure just how fast a car is at the end of the straight!!!!!!! that shit you can not make up or hide you are either powerful or not, end of story, and lots are powerful and durable.

No special gizz spec internet whore spammed latest turbo craze required............ Ironic ? no not really, its always been the same! Moral go to a track, talk to cuuuuuunts who do this and see what works, it's pretty simple. Not saying this turbo is shit either, just its maybe not being given the best chance, IMHO his car did nothing at WTAC either especially after being hyped up and excuses given for 'lower reading dyno' maybe it just makes fuck all power, and its not as if todays race was a 12 hour race nor was WTAC either... so same track same competitors same rules and his was the slowest rotary around (turbo'd) those are the facts as I witnessed them.

Qualifying Results
Massel FD3S (2 seconds a lap faster) v's RS RX8
http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6358719...920.88Y/View?5

In the actual race (it was 3 second a lap slower)
http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6358719...20.88Y/View?28

IPRA winner (great little car and top people owning and running it!)
This is a 1st Gen RX7 that weighs in at 950kg and makes a whopping 174rwkw!
http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6358719...20.88Y/View?32

Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration

Last edited by RICE RACING; 12-01-2013 at 05:28 AM..
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
Turblown
Rotary Fan in Training

Turblown is on a distinguished road

Ric isn't real concerned with making a lot of power, his first priority is reliability. I know he requests the engines be tuned very safe, and is probably running considerable less boost than most of the competition. Don't get me wrong I know there are some areas for improvements on his cars, but everyone has different priorities.

Back to the EFR stuff.... I am pretty sure an IWG EFR will not fit a RHD car, but I will double check when I get a chance( been swamped). I did notice that the 7670 IWG( only one that I can see fitting down low, as it runs a much smaller compressor cover than the 8374 or 9180), will require a custom waste-gate actuator bracket, as BW doesn't allow full 360 clocking off the unit.

P.S. Nate I will call you back tomorrow.
Turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
Monkman33
Still Building my FD

Monkman33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turblown View Post
I did notice that the 7670 IWG( only one that I can see fitting down low, as it runs a much smaller compressor cover than the 8374 or 9180), will require a custom waste-gate actuator bracket, as BW doesn't allow full 360 clocking off the unit.

P.S. Nate I will call you back tomorrow.
This shouldn't be too much of an issue. If(when) Linder Power Systems comes up with a good solution, maybe he can make a few for you. Chances are he will make them all snazzy and sexylike. But much like all my projects, That one will be a long ways off, and you'll probably already have a solution by that time.

Don't worry Elliot, I'll be waiting by my phone like a giddy high school girl.

Last edited by Monkman33; 12-03-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Monkman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #34
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Prodigy will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking for my future single setup of going with a manifold much like Rice's short as possible but utilizing the IWG BW to keep things simple, less potential failure points and compact, one issue will be that my car is RHD, but i think ifI got the compressor in hand and had a manifold locally built, I *think* (or rather, want to think) it can be done...

J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
There is no limit to my stubborness...... just ask any of my ex's

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

360 gamertag: Tichlis
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #35
RICE RACING
Don Mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
I'm thinking for my future single setup of going with a manifold much like Rice's short as possible but utilizing the IWG BW to keep things simple, less potential failure points and compact, one issue will be that my car is RHD, but i think ifI got the compressor in hand and had a manifold locally built, I *think* (or rather, want to think) it can be done...

J.
Without wanting to read like HC!

Flow priority is far more important than shortness of pipes. The BIG problem you have with short manifolds is heat, fitment, durability.......... nothing dies faster than a short manifold and its allot more stressed than a longer one I find.

The turbine entry flanges do not last very long, especially on a divided unit, they warp and the center section gets eaten away and good luck keeping a gasket alive long term there too.

On turbo rotaries for a while now I have not bothered with divided entry turbine housings 1) they are not durable 2) they are a nightmare to keep a gasket up too 3) they are not really needed much for turbine response 4) they are way too heavy!

For rotaries the single entry Tial turbine housing is the only thing that is durable and will last I have found.
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
Old 12-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #36
Mitchocalypse
Rotary Fanatic

Mitchocalypse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE RACING View Post
Without wanting to read like HC!

Flow priority is far more important than shortness of pipes. The BIG problem you have with short manifolds is heat, fitment, durability.......... nothing dies faster than a short manifold and its allot more stressed than a longer one I find.

The turbine entry flanges do not last very long, especially on a divided unit, they warp and the center section gets eaten away and good luck keeping a gasket alive long term there too.

On turbo rotaries for a while now I have not bothered with divided entry turbine housings 1) they are not durable 2) they are a nightmare to keep a gasket up too 3) they are not really needed much for turbine response 4) they are way too heavy!

For rotaries the single entry Tial turbine housing is the only thing that is durable and will last I have found.
What's your definition of durable? Like holds up well for people beating the shit out of their cars every weekend at the track? Outlasts the engine? Lives through a few oil changes?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #37
RICE RACING
Don Mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchocalypse View Post
What's your definition of durable? Like holds up well for people beating the shit out of their cars every weekend at the track? Outlasts the engine? Lives through a few oil changes?
People's definitions are very different especially on the internet.

The problem with turbo rotaries used in road cars is if it is set up to be efficient then it will run a high exhaust gas temperature. When you run it at 0.9 Lambda say and at a constant 100kmh you will see a high temperature and as a result the exhaust parts start to eat them selves (as you see on any turbo rotary)... ever seen what a FD3S turbo manifold looks like? Basically after 50,000km road use only these parts are scrap.

On a single turbo I have never seen any manifold last more than 30,000km (or 15+ BDC and HC engine rebuilds!). These effects get compounded if you do any sort of real power utilization (say 2% duty) at full load and power.

If you add power to the equation then its even worse as the effects are worse, high temperature combined with high pressure and cycling of temperature from high to low, pre load on the metal gasket diminishes over time then they get eaten along with the mating flange surfaces = in the end a fucking nightmare. The only things that work are gasket less, while they are not perfect they are 'durable'.

I got sick and tired of resurfacing all types of manifolds (machining is my profession among many!) and seeing all of this shit over the years. This is why rotaries are fucked! the same problem occurs in piston cars but the time is about triple to the time of failure!

p.s. most people never talk about this cause they NEVER have owned them long enough or had an engine last that long LOL....... it is an issue, I'm sure I am not the only one to experience it
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
Turblown
Rotary Fan in Training

We've got these in divided also, but I almost always run an open volute gasket, even on twin scroll turbo systems;

http://www.turblown.net/store/index.php?productID=80
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #39
Turblown
Rotary Fan in Training

Dyno this weekend!

More info/pixs etc;

http://www.turbosource.com/BorgWarne...ts-fd3siwg.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FD IWG EFR.jpg (119.7 KB, 13 views)

TurboSource - Performance TurboChargers, Inconel Heat-Shields, and Adaptronic Distribution
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #40
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I think this is the key here

Love it... interested to see some numbers Elliot. What turbo is it again?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #41
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
I think this is the key here

Love it... interested to see some numbers Elliot. What turbo is it again?

Pay no attention to the random smattering of parts. This is mid transition. Proper TID, shielding, etc to come later.

SO MUCH ROOM!

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #42
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

This isn't you car is it, Paul?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #43
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Nope. I've just got a rx8 with light mods for track use so I can get some HPDE under my belt.

This is my friend Jacob's who is in Nashville also. I did make the hard lines for the coolant tho! Stainless!

(Wastegate actuator had to be moved due to orientation)

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #44
jacobcartmill
Rotary Fan in Training

jacobcartmill is on a distinguished road

well i finally have some info on this:

i was driving the car with the catalytic converter installed, and the boost didn't go over ~10psi. it opened at ~6psi and seemed to creep to about 10 and not go over that in 3rd and 4th gear.

so, last night i swapped out the cat with the straight pipe, and the internal wastegate is getting overrun at peak torque. the boost shoots up quickly and uncontrollably at 5500rpms and hits my 13psi boost safety fuel cut. i am going out shortly to raise the boost cut to 17psi and see if the boost gets up that far.

i had the pre-load set at 6mm initially, and the boost shot up, so i unloaded it down to 2mm and it does the exact same thing.

we also tested the wastegate with my air compressor to verify that it's opening fully. here's a video:
Wastegate movement - YouTube

TL;DR EFR IWG not keeping up.

Last edited by jacobcartmill; 03-22-2014 at 01:49 PM..
jacobcartmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #45
jacobcartmill
Rotary Fan in Training

jacobcartmill is on a distinguished road

i did some GIMP'ing and overlayed two screenshots of the wastegate rod and arm fully open and fully shut, and it looks like the angles are within spec.

also used the measuring tool in GIMP to measure the wastegate arm angle.

wastegate arm is exactly as the borg warner installation manual says it should be at full stroke (~50 degrees), and of course the point of view isnt perfect, but it's close enough:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wastegate-angles.jpg (38.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg wastegate-arm-angle.JPG (85.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by jacobcartmill; 03-22-2014 at 01:51 PM..
jacobcartmill is offline   Reply With Quote