Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > NRS Rotorsports

NRS Rotorsports www.nrsrotorsports.com (Canada) Ceramic apex & corner seals for rotary engine applications

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
thewird
Rotary Fan in Training

thewird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Kevin can better answer that question - obviously 99.999% of the time is machining or material defects.... nothing technically should prevent you from running a 3mm seal in a RX8 - I just was unwilling to take the risk since 8 rotors are pretty expensive.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. My builder knows a good machinist that always gets it bang on so I don't have to worry about the RX-8. Was worried there was something that specifically was different on the RX-8 rotor that prevented 3mm from happening.

thewird
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
glassman
Premium Vendor

glassman is on a distinguished road
Default RX8 rotor & cut away for 3mm full height seals

A customer of mine in Russia is looking at running 3mm full height ceramic seals in RX8 rotors. Below is a pic of an RX8 rotor cut away showing the meat available in the slot as well as a stock RX8 rotor for comparison. Please note the cut away slot is not standard RX8 depth because they were using apex seals that are in between OEM height (FD) and RX8 height at 3mm width. Their slot in the cut away is 8.80mm or 0.3464", the total meat available is 12.20mm or 0.4803". This leaves approx 0.1339" to the bottom of the casting. The full height slot should be 0.385" deep leaving 0.0953" of meat remaining, almost 100 thou. From the picture the slot would be deepened another 0.0386", less than 1mm.

Hopefully this info will help others to make a solid decision when considering 3mm full height seals in RX8 rotors.

Thanks Dmitry for this excellent info!

Mild to wild, street to strip, when you want to go fast and you want your engine to last, NRS Ceramics is the only way to go.
NRS Rotorsports
nrsrotorsports@shaw.ca
www.nrsrotorsports.com
glassman is offline   Reply With Quote