Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
sen2two
KTEC

sen2two is on a distinguished road
Default apex seal reversal...

im doing a large bridge on a 6 port to where i have to cut the rotor housings to let the "eyebrow" be fully open to flow. and doing this on stock mazda 3 piece seals. but i am not going to bridge the center iron. just a street port.

ive seen people install the apex seals with the 3rd small corner piece both towards the center iron. in doing this so the bridge dosnt swallow the apex seal piece. but im unsure if theres a special way to do this. i always build my motors from the front rotor up. this would mean the front rotor has the 3rd piece towards the center iror, but the rear towards the rear iron.

im thinking add a little extra vasoline to make it stick as i lower the rotor in realllyyyy carefully... any tips here?

93 Touring: TRADED - 91 Coupe: TRADED - 90 GTU: RHD - 88 10AE: SOLD - 87 Base: SOLD - 86 Base: SOLD - 1985 GSLSE - 85 Gsl: SOLD - 80 Gs: TRADED - 1972 Rx2
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Junk the used (3-piece) seals.
All the new Mazda OEM stuff is all 2-piece now.
I think almost every aftermarket apex seal is either two or one piece.
Superglue the triangle assist piece and put them in however you want.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

Regardless of what seal you use you need to glue the seals together. A little bit of super glue does the trick. It's how the new seals come from Mazda. As you torque the engine down you will hear snap, snap, snap as they come apart. Makes installation a lot easier and all but eliminates the chance of getting one of the pieces in there incorrectly. I like to lay a piece of aluminum foil over a piece of glass (very flat surface) and glue the seals together on that. Ensures the seals go together flat so there is no issue getting them in their slots and the foil keep the glue off the table.

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

Opinion:
All BP & PP engines should use 1 piece seals. Preferably carbon or ceramic.
1/2 BP engines can use the 2 piece seals, but the corner piece should be opposite the bridge.
3 piece seals should not be used, at all, in any engine rebuild.
Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

These guys have you covered.

But a tip for glueing them to add to Ludwigs........

I like to take my vernier's and measure the housing, then bump them out one or two thou from that width. Lock them in place there, and use them as a jig to glue the seals together. You can basically dab some crazy glue on, and jam them in....in about 5-10 seconds you remove them and they'll be exactly spaced so the come apart when the engine's torqued.
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
sen2two
KTEC

sen2two is on a distinguished road

im building this engine for someone. and he wants to keep the stock seals. so i guess i'll be using super glue and reversing the rear rotor seals to face the intermediate plate. this will keep the little piece away from the bridge...

i always use RA super seals in my motors.
93 Touring: TRADED - 91 Coupe: TRADED - 90 GTU: RHD - 88 10AE: SOLD - 87 Base: SOLD - 86 Base: SOLD - 1985 GSLSE - 85 Gsl: SOLD - 80 Gs: TRADED - 1972 Rx2
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicauto View Post
These guys have you covered.

But a tip for glueing them to add to Ludwigs........

I like to take my vernier's and measure the housing, then bump them out one or two thou from that width. Lock them in place there, and use them as a jig to glue the seals together. You can basically dab some crazy glue on, and jam them in....in about 5-10 seconds you remove them and they'll be exactly spaced so the come apart when the engine's torqued.
I love that tip.

To add to Ludwigs though, I use me SS workbench - flat as glass - with a piece of that release waxed foil on top, with the waxed side facing up. Glue the assist piece to the seal and fold the foil over. Them with two old apex seals, use one to hold them flat on the table, and the other to make sure the planes on the assist piece and the seal line up. Hold for a minute or so and slowly peel the foil back. It will not have dried all the way by this time so be careful. Trim the excess glue away and leave to air dry. Just before assembly make sure there is no glue residue and if there is, trim with a single edged blade and clean with some acetone.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
N.RotaryTech
Home-brew Rotary

N.RotaryTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
im building this engine for someone. and he wants to keep the stock seals. so i guess i'll be using super glue and reversing the rear rotor seals to face the intermediate plate. this will keep the little piece away from the bridge...

i always use RA super seals in my motors.
IMO, Make him upgrade to 2-piece.
3 piece seals in a bridge port engine just doesn't seem safe.

Unless its a shity motor an he wants to destroy it.
N.RotaryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
NoDOHC
The quest for more torque

NoDOHC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
IMO, Make him upgrade to 2-piece.
3 piece seals in a bridge port engine just doesn't seem safe.

Unless its a shity motor an he wants to destroy it.
I have to agree with N. RotaryTech, I only reuse 3-piece seals on NA engines. My '88 13BT had 80,000 on the clock when I tore it down and the top apex seal had worn significantly on the side (not the face) until it was triangular. I have torn down 150,000 mile NA engines that the 3-piece seals were completely intact and still met tolerances, but not so the turbo (I have only ever rebuilt one turbo engine, so you will have to forgive my lack of experience to draw from there).

My 4-port has new 2-piece seals ($60.00 each from the Mazda dealer) and makes excellent compression (120 psi front and rear). I have not seen many 3-piece seals make that, so I am not sure that they are better. Plus the 2-piece seal is deeper and has more support against side loads (avoiding the triangular wear that I observed on the 13BT).