Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #31
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

good one!

classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #32
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5ABaby View Post
Hmmm, still not sure on the rubbing though. I didn't see anything shiny like it was getting rubbed. Since apparently the ball joint thingy is not the problem, my only guess can be the mount somehow causing it.

Any ideas?
Yes, I have an idea! You MAY be correct, as a really good company called Stance, had this "popping" issue with some of their coilovers, and it was the top mounts binding. They repalced them for people free of charge, and all the issues went away!

So, it MAY just be the top mounts...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #33
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

To replace the ball joint I just take out 2 bolts, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
Yes, I have an idea! You MAY be correct, as a really good company called Stance, had this "popping" issue with some of their coilovers, and it was the top mounts binding. They repalced them for people free of charge, and all the issues went away!

So, it MAY just be the top mounts...
Hopefully. I'm still not sure how it would cause a rubbing noise, but oh well. It's the only theory I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicauto View Post
good one!
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #34
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

Andddddddddddddddd, down for the count.

At least the front left (only one I've looked at) caliper is boned. I think the rotor is boned also. When I spin the rotor while on the hub and I look at it from the top down, it seems to wiggle. So either the hub is fucked up or the rotor is warped. And, when I spin the hub I get a nasty grinding type noise.

The lower pivot ball and some other pivoty type thing near it both have busted boots.

Looks like I'm bringing the 6...

And, time to make a shopping list. Fuck it, I'm redoing my whole suspension/steering system.

On the plus side my new strut mount went on without a hitch.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Dude, so any updates? You got pics of all the progress you've made to your car?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #36
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
Dude, so any updates? You got pics of all the progress you've made to your car?
Not a whole lot of pics since most of it wasn't very cosmetic (except the powder blue struts). However, it's all back together and rides very smooth. I can't remember what I posted in this thread but I ended up:

Energy suspension (just on the front, back will probably be next summer)
New rotors (front)
New calipers and pads (front)
New struts (all)
New strut mounts (front)

It had been down a while for repairs when I was finally able to drive it. When I first got in my car everything just felt right. The seat, shifter, pedals, etc. all felt like it was in the right place. Now, that's not saying anything bad about my Mazda 6 since it's a great car... but it sure isn't my 7. Upon driving, the first real corner I went around was a sweeping 45 deg left-hander that literally gave me goose bumps.

Unfortunately it's been sitting for about 2 months now because I have no heat and my Mazda 6 is my daily. I recently got all the A/C and heat components under the dash from a parts car (thanks Kevin) so hopefully I'll get it fixed soon. Also unfortunately, the car is about an hour away at my parents since I live at an apartment complex so there's no point in having it here since I can't work on it.

Here's a pic from another thread of my cleaned up A-arm with new bushings.

Below are two more. One is why the rotors (and calipers) had to go. The second is just showing the old rotor/caliper still attached. I might take some pics next time I'm around the car but there's not much to see.

P.S. My current super secret (now not so secret) project is LED tail lights. Not sure how well it will come out... but I'm bored and it's winter. If I go through with them there will definitely be pics of them and if they don't suck a write up. I have a few concerns such as the heavily diffused plastic and shape of the lights, but we'll see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0968.jpg (96.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0953.jpg (87.6 KB, 6 views)
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

Last edited by My5ABaby; 01-09-2009 at 12:15 AM..