Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
RotaryXperiment
Rotary Fanatic

RotaryXperiment is on a distinguished road

wow that bearing is shot!
idk i could see both sides of this. i mean 5w20 is thin and if this guy was racing the motor the oil would only get thinner with heat, and if he was using cheap dino oil the flash point would be lower.
how were the oil jets on the eshaft clogged?

RotaryXperiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
SpooledupRacing

well thats is another problem.. cheap oil sheers and sheers bad..

I have had sheer test run on Mobil 1 5w30 after 1500 miles in a mitsubishi evo 9 the oil read at 0w20

the customer then switched to ELF 5w40 and at 3500 miles the sheer stayed the same 5w40

I had the same company do the same test.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
enthegen
Invalid Target

enthegen is on a distinguished road

So in an unmodded rx8 in alabama where it never really gets cold.. something like a 10w30 might be a better option? I have been running the 5w20 since I got the car but if changing to something different would add some longivity to my car im all for it.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
SpooledupRacing

first you need to figure are you going to use synthetic or dino oil.

I still say I would use 5w20-5w30 in the winter (if u drive in the cold) and 10w50-20w50 in the summer.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
Kane
All about the O2

Kane is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go to 5W20 unless it was consistanly colder than 60F...

I am in Hawaii and FI-ed; and I only run 10W50 - 6000 miles and no problems.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
mfisher12
Rotary Fan in Training

mfisher12 is on a distinguished road

I would have to say that 5w20 on the 8's is my choice, esspecially on the 09 modles, the OMP and filter system is completely redisigned to reduce carbon build up and prevent flooding issues. the omp on the 09s continue pumping as long as the engine is still turning key off engine off. they have also included 2 additional oil injestors, all in jectors are PCM controlled with 2 OMPs.not saying 5w20 is the only or best choice, but typically the engines i see with lower than normal compression have been flooded and incorrectly or harshly deflooded or never were allowed sufficient warm up time before ragging the hell out of it....the bearings in the pictures before deffinatley looked like corrosion or starvation...maybe the changed it every 3k but only after a year went by
mfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #22
MAZMART
Rotary Fan in Training

MAZMART is on a distinguished road

The purpose for 5W20 being specified (In the US) is for CAFE standards. It's all about improving fuel economy to avoid fines. The effect on each car type is minimal but it adds up and every .1 mile per gallon is helpful.

Red Line 5W30 would be one of my recommendations for the street used vehicles even if they're driven hard and tracked occasionally. It's viscosity after a short period is far superior to any non synthetic 10W40 AND EVEN MOST 20W50s. It's amazing to see what numbers become over time with a harsh environment. The fuel dilution found quite often in rotaries is another reason to consider your starting viscosity wisely.

Paul.
MAZMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
SpooledupRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZMART View Post
The purpose for 5W20 being specified (In the US) is for CAFE standards. It's all about improving fuel economy to avoid fines. The effect on each car type is minimal but it adds up and every .1 mile per gallon is helpful.

Red Line 5W30 would be one of my recommendations for the street used vehicles even if they're driven hard and tracked occasionally. It's viscosity after a short period is far superior to any non synthetic 10W40 AND EVEN MOST 20W50s. It's amazing to see what numbers become over time with a harsh environment. The fuel dilution found quite often in rotaries is another reason to consider your starting viscosity wisely.

Paul.

EXACTLY... The 5w20 was used for emissions and fuel consumtion regulations. thus another reason for the Renises engine it was built about emissions control.

And I will stand behind Redline as an oil as well.. I dont sell the Redline Engine oil but if it is any quality as the gear/trans lube is then it HAS to be good.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #24
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

I8U is on a distinguished road

We run Redline 50wt race oil in our cars and they hold up just fine. I may start running Redline 50wt on the street during the summer months as it has all the additives and viscosity of a 15w40 oil. I do love me some Redline products too!!!
04 TiGray RX8 MT, LS2 coil setup, 3" midpipe, HKS Hi-power 3" exhaust, TEIN S-Techs, Hotchkis Adj F/R sways, K&N Typhoon V2, Steel braided brake lines, Redline drivetrain fluids, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, Cobalt XR2/GTS brake combo, MB Motorpsorts Weapons 18x9 +45 offset, 275/35's
I8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #25
warwickben
sa rat rod

warwickben is on a distinguished road

SpooledupRacing let me get this right, i should be fine useing 5w20 till i have the cash to get the oil you recommend. since its pretty cold in mass now?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
SpooledupRacing

Well IME yes I mean 5w20 is a thin oil but honestly I don't see where it will hurt the engine. Just make sure you are using a QUALITY engine oil. that is just as important if not more important.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
warwickben
sa rat rod

warwickben is on a distinguished road

ive just kinda had some bad luck since i bought my car ,a 5% pay cut, layoffs at my work and that whole black Monday shit. i dont need my motor blowing on me you know. so ive been kinda freaked out since i put 5w20 in it then read these posts. but once i have the cash ill be buying a case of the stuff you recommended. which will be right around the time i need a oil change.

the synthetic that you recommend it should be fine in freezing temps right?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
SpooledupRacing

Yes sir... The 5W30 (which is designed for rotary engines with working omp's) is good to 30 below..

Alot of the MI guys use it because well... we see VERY COLD mornings..

Hell I use the 5w40 in my wifes Jeep and my bmw which has OVER 215K