Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Raelall14
The Newbie

Raelall14 is on a distinguished road
Default Finally getting to the very bottom of the air pump removal

So I've notice as I search around the forum even other forums, no one really has the right info down to the very bottom of the process in removing your air pump after u get aftermarket exhaust system. Removing the air pump is easy, but what pulley kit to use how do u retain the functionality of your powersteering and air conditioning.
So 1. Remove air pump
2. Connect the pipes that were connected to the air pump
3. Remove acv and put block off plate on
4. Obviously put whole new exhaust on, in my case I'm using full racing beat kit for my 1984 gslse.
5. People will wonder what to do with the tube that works with the 5th and 6th port, well the racin beat comes wih the correct fitting so u have to do no modification besides useing your brain a bit to connect it.
6. WHAT FRICKEN PULLEY KIT, BELT, WHATEVER DOES ONE USE THAT IS RELIABLE AND WORK CORRECTLY.
If I'm forgetting anything post up but mainly post with people's experience would be much appreciated, thank!

Raelall14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
b&brx8
The Newbie

b&brx8 is on a distinguished road

All you need is a dual-belt pulley for the alternator and two identical alternator belts (same length for obvious reasons). That's it. Two belts are needed to avoid slippage on the fan/water pump pulley.

Use an impact to remove the old 2 piece single pulley and just use the same hardware to re-install dual pulley. Very simple and NO other mods required.
b&brx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

Yep dual pulley kit from RB or Mazdatrix and 2 identical fan belts will do the trick. Make sure
the belts are from the same mgfr, same lot# and same size. That way they will be closer to
being identical sizes and will stretch similar amount.

Once the pulley is on, tighten the belts down until about 1/2 inch deflection, run for a few
days or 100 miles or so and see if they need to be tightened a bit more. They will stretch.
Don't overtighten or you risk premature wear on the ehaft.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote