Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Introduction > Introduce yourself!!

Introduce yourself!! Tell me something about you and your history with rotary..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
seanbumalmighty
The Newbie

seanbumalmighty is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from mass

Hello everyone my names Sean I'm from Massachusetts and I drive a 1993 fd3s with some mods. Looking to do an na renesis swap at some point next year. Possibly a 3 rotor . Look forward to some good post as well as info thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (151.7 KB, 3 views)
seanbumalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

Welcome. Personally I'd go with the 20B 3 rotor or stay RE/REW with a good build. Renesis would be a lot of work and money to be going backward power wise.

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.

Last edited by GySgtFrank; 11-30-2014 at 12:33 PM..
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

I agree with Gunny. At least price it out before you start. I've thought recently about having to move to Renesis engines when older 13B parts start drying up, but I'm not exactly excited about it. I don't know why they couldn't make more power, but it seems that's the case. I could be wrong about all this though haha.

The Cosmo 3 rotors seem like they're coming down in price as of late. It would still be an expensive swap, but at least you wouldn't be reinventing the wheel and there is already some support out there.

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to go Renesis 3 rotor?
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
seanbumalmighty
The Newbie

sorry I meant renesis or three rotor my mistake... my motor is getting tired 105psi front 100 rear and renesis are fairly cheap and I want na for reliability aspect plus I really like na and plan on doing a time attack car. na 20b would be awesome as well but so $$$$. I had a Honda time attack car that I never got to run . I just like trying to get as much out of a na as possible! I guess im weird but I like na the best and I like trying to see what I can get out of an na time wise and rev wise etc.. I dunno.. I know its expensive so when it comes down to it I will more than likely rebuild my motor...
Old 11-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbumalmighty View Post
sorry I meant renesis or three rotor my mistake... my motor is getting tired 105psi front 100 rear and renesis are fairly cheap and I want na for reliability aspect plus I really like na and plan on doing a time attack car. na 20b would be awesome as well but so $$$$. I had a Honda time attack car that I never got to run . I just like trying to get as much out of a na as possible! I guess im weird but I like na the best and I like trying to see what I can get out of an na time wise and rev wise etc.. I dunno.. I know its expensive so when it comes down to it I will more than likely rebuild my motor...
I hate to say this as I like NA engines as well, but to make power naturally aspirated you need displacement, which is big bucks. Otherwise you have to go peripheral port and put up with the trade offs on the street. Even then, 250hp is probably the outer limits and will most likely cost about the same as the 20B with not so hot reliability. You're only working with 80 cubic inches, so there's only so much you can do NA. The combustion cycle of the rotary helps, but it's still a small engine.

For a heavier car like the FD a single turbo, low compression ratio engine (running moderate boost) is probably going to be the most reliable rotary you can build. At least one that makes the kind of power you will need for the FD. Just don't make the common mistake that most others do and start putting together all the sexy go fast stuff on the engine and not do a massive upgrade on the fuel system and ECU. Without those any boosted rotary is likely to implode, no matter how good the engine build was.

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
seanbumalmighty
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgtFrank View Post
I hate to say this as I like NA engines as well, but to make power naturally aspirated you need displacement, which is big bucks. Otherwise you have to go peripheral port and put up with the trade offs on the street. Even then, 250hp is probably the outer limits and will most likely cost about the same as the 20B with not so hot reliability. You're only working with 80 cubic inches, so there's only so much you can do NA. The combustion cycle of the rotary helps, but it's still a small engine.

For a heavier car like the FD a single turbo, low compression ratio engine (running moderate boost) is probably going to be the most reliable rotary you can build. At least one that makes the kind of power you will need for the FD. Just don't make the common mistake that most others do and start putting together all the sexy go fast stuff on the engine and not do a massive upgrade on the fuel system and ECU. Without those any boosted rotary is likely to implode, no matter how good the engine build was.
yeah I agree the more I think about it the more I figure ill go with the 13b rebuild. I posted a build thread so you can check out what she has already.. It has pfc for ecu but needs a tune...

1993 FD3S Touring
Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbumalmighty View Post
yeah I agree the more I think about it the more I figure ill go with the 13b rebuild. I posted a build thread so you can check out what she has already.. It has pfc for ecu but needs a tune...
Get in contact with RICERACING for the PFC
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote