Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

JustJeff is on a distinguished road
Default Mazdaspeed Scoop: Price check

Here it is, it's been sitting in storage for a couple years. Once my rebuild is done I'll either be painting it to match or selling it. Whats this thing worth? I have yet to see another one for sale, though I've been told they aren't that rare and every so often they pop up on Ebay. I've been looking for another one or an authentic MS lip for the years I've had it...still haven't seen either.

It's authentic

JustJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I think the guy that told you it's "not that rare" was trying to steal it from you.

I try to keep track of the hard-to-find items on Yahoo Japan Auctions, and this is not something you see all the time.
I haven't seen too many of those going for sale.
I'd say it's a "rare" piece.

From the pricing of other hood scoop "covers", it should price out around $100 as a good starting point.
I wouldn't be surprised if it went for auction that the final selling price doubles that.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

^ Ted

I don't remember how much I paid. It was a few years ago so the amount escapes me. I'm gonna guess $200ish and I also had to toss in a spare OEM scoop I had on hand.

Don't worry I thought the same thing about the people saying it's not that rare. I was surprised I didn't get a PM from people saying "it's not that rare, I can paypal you today."

It's worth more than $200 to me. The reality of it is that I don't have alot of good connections for parts. Hell I'm one of a handful of rotary owners in my city. Other than an FD that's V8 swapped I'm the only rotary that's been modified in any way....at least that I know of. Point being, this is probably the only authentic one I'll ever see.

My hangup with it is that I'm not sure how much I like it. I think it looks killer on a modified body. But my vert is staying mostly stock looking. I've got some TII sideskirts and I'm deciding which of four front lips I like.

Corksport's Odura/Odula replica
Corksport's Mazdaspeed replica
FEED replica
OEM turbo lip

I had an OEM on the car and it got snapped from a deep pothole. I took it off to repair it and it got mistaken for trash and thrown out.

The only other thing that might go on the car is a carbon fiber replica of the S4 duckbill spoiler. Though I'd paint match it.

Eventually I'll do some rims, but that's way off in the distance. For now I like my OEM BBS.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
mazdadude7
Rotary Fanatic

mazdadude7 is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in taking it off your hands im painting my car atm and its got ms01's and that would be awsome to have for it as well
mazdadude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

^it's not for sale ATM

I won't decide anything till my rebuild is done and I'm paint matching some parts. What I'll probably end up doing is to paint it and use it for a while. See how I like it.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

Good looking scoop, a guy a few years ago was selling one for $225. I would have liked to have got it myself. IMO it would look good on a stockish body FC.
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
warlock7
The Newbie

warlock7 is on a distinguished road

I've been chasing one of these for ages!!! does anyone know of any aftermarket ones at all. I think if you had a mold made of that, you'd make a killing. then again, if you wanna sell....... haha!! seriously though, I'd keep it, much as it pains me to say.
warlock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorDad View Post
Good looking scoop, a guy a few years ago was selling one for $225. I would have liked to have got it myself. IMO it would look good on a stockish body FC.
I believe I'm the one who bought that one. Was it on 7club and he was originally selling the hood and scoop? He then decided to split them up provided the buyer provided him an OEM scoop to pair up with his hood.

I tossed him a PM asking him to contact me if he decided to split them up. He came back saying sure but I need a scoop in return. I just so happened to have a replacement scoop waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock7 View Post
I've been chasing one of these for ages!!! does anyone know of any aftermarket ones at all. I think if you had a mold made of that, you'd make a killing. then again, if you wanna sell....... haha!! seriously though, I'd keep it, much as it pains me to say.
None are offered, but companies selling replicas are pretty good about offering parts in return for allowing them to make molds. <wink,wink, nudge,nudge>
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

Here's damn close to what I'm thinking about doing with my vert. My turbo vert is either going to be black or red. Still haven't decided.

I'd stick to TII sideskirts and keep my OEM mirrors. I love the FEED lip and I love the AFFLUX one even more
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJeff View Post
I believe I'm the one who bought that one. Was it on 7club and he was originally selling the hood and scoop? He then decided to split them up provided the buyer provided him an OEM scoop to pair up with his hood.
I tossed him a PM asking him to contact me if he decided to split them up. He came back saying sure but I need a scoop in return. I just so happened to have a replacement scoop waiting.
It was on 7club, If I can remember I think it was on a hood. I didn't want the whole hood just the scoop he asked if I had the stock one. But mine was cracked & why I was looking for a new scoop.
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorDad View Post
It was on 7club, If I can remember I think it was on a hood. I didn't want the whole hood just the scoop he asked if I had the stock one. But mine was cracked & why I was looking for a new scoop.
Gotta be the same scoop. The scoop on my red turbo vert is cracked. I bought an OEM one to replace it with so I had it sitting on the shelf. I swapped the seller my scoop and cash for the MS scoop.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Personally, I'm not a big fan of body kit stuff...
Most of time, it's just added weight, and it doesn't increase performance.
If it looks good to you, then go for it!

Most of those modified stock hood scoops don't stick around for long.
Many serious FC set-up's go FMIC, which negates the use of the hood scoop opening.
This is probably why those things are rare, as most do not have a need for it.

More popular (and available) are the hood scoop "covers" - i.e. ala R.E. Amemiya, whether it be a plain cover or a vented one.
I see a lot of these on Yahoo Japan Auctions, and I'm sitting on one myself.
You'll see them pop up on eBay every once in a while too.

You're lucky you're on the "mainland" and can take advantage of Ground shipping.
Being stuck in Hawaii sucks cause all those big, heavy body kit pieces cost an arm and a leg to send over!

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

^Ted
I'm typically not a fan of kits either. I really think Mazda had something good going with the body. I think alot of the kits that the drift kids are putting on their cars are downright ugly.

That being said, I do like some of the front lips and the FEED wide fenders. I do like the Amemiya kit, but think it looks out of place on a street car.

About getting away from the TMIC setup and scoop. I've considered offering up the MS scoop in trade for a FMIC or VMIC.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Rotary#10
Rotorhead

Rotary#10 is on a distinguished road

Very rare and very hard to find spend over a few years looking for one. Turns out a friend of my friend had it 2 hours away. Picked it up for over $300. But even that was a replica made by ShineAuto Project years ago. The Mazdaspeed hood scoop is as rare as Infini parts.
Running project car

89 N/A GTUs in Black #2
10/6/18
Blown coolant seal undergoing rebuild and restomod.
Rotary#10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

4 years ago was the last post in this thread. Please let it die....
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote