Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Transmission / Differential

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

infernosg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosg View Post
I'm halfway there. The tach is now being run by a Haltech but I'm still using the stock speedo cable until I rig something up for a Hall effect sensor or the like. Too bad I didn't jump on those trigger wheels being sold a while back. I'm not sure about a digital display but one day the car will have a custom instrument cluster.
I'm now working on the custom gauge cluster. I'm using analog gauges and the tachometer is still going to get its signal from the Haltech but I need to identify a source for the speedometer. I can theoretically use any signal for the speedometer as long as it produces between 4000 and 200000 pulses per mile. Some options I'm considering:

1. Keep the mechanical speedo cable and isolate the speed output from the stock cluster and use it as a signal source.
2. Hall effect sensor + trigger/magnetic pickup wheel on the driveshaft (there are some pre-made options out there that look like they'll work).
3. Hall effect sensor + trigger/magnetic pickup wheel on a front wheel hub (a la TII ABS sensor)
4. Use FD VSS (will this even work in a N/A transmission?)

Thoughts?

infernosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

you could likely reuse the ABS sensor. It puts out a steady signal. just take it from one of the front hubs (that are equipped)

we used that for some rally computers
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
you could likely reuse the ABS sensor. It puts out a steady signal. just take it from one of the front hubs (that are equipped)

we used that for some rally computers
Only problem is I don't have a TII or a ABS car so I'd have to find all that. Is it possible to get the trigger wheel and/or sensor separately and mount them on a non-ABS hub?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

probably easier to just replace the hub. GXLs with it are common enough.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
probably easier to just replace the hub. GXLs with it are common enough.
Yeah, I priced the steering knuckle, ABS sensor, and trigger ring new from Mazda and the total is ~$750 for one side. Car-part.com shows a bunch of ABS hubs for pretty cheap so I'll make some phone calls when the time comes.

I did some research on the ABS sensors and it looks like they're variable reluctance (VR, magnetic pickup, passive, etc.) so it's simpler than a Hall effect setup but not as good. Now if only I can find out how many teeth the ring has.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

I believe there is a shop that makes a Hall effect speedo drive that swaps in the TII trans. Forget the name. Search on the evil forum. It may work in the NA trans.

The FD and Miata trans senders use a VR sensor. If one swaps to the NA trans it would work with an A/D converter.

There is nothing really better about a Hall sensor. VR sensors generally are preferred for something like wheelspeed where there is a high resolution target. Just need an A/D converter for your gauge and ECU that want to see a square-wave input.

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm now working on the custom gauge cluster. I'm using analog gauges and the tachometer is still going to get its signal from the Haltech but I need to identify a source for the speedometer. I can theoretically use any signal for the speedometer as long as it produces between 4000 and 200000 pulses per mile. Some options I'm considering:

1. Keep the mechanical speedo cable and isolate the speed output from the stock cluster and use it as a signal source.
2. Hall effect sensor + trigger/magnetic pickup wheel on the driveshaft (there are some pre-made options out there that look like they'll work).
3. Hall effect sensor + trigger/magnetic pickup wheel on a front wheel hub (a la TII ABS sensor)
4. Use FD VSS (will this even work in a N/A transmission?)

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post
I believe there is a shop that makes a Hall effect speedo drive that swaps in the TII trans. Forget the name. Search on the evil forum. It may work in the NA trans.

The FD and Miata trans senders use a VR sensor. If one swaps to the NA trans it would work with an A/D converter.

There is nothing really better about a Hall sensor. VR sensors generally are preferred for something like wheelspeed where there is a high resolution target. Just need an A/D converter for your gauge and ECU that want to see a square-wave input.
I believe its called Speedometer solutions in MN or WI or somewhere around there. They have a unit (or they did anyway) that will thread into the tranny where the cable did. It outputs a hall effect signal that just about any aftermkt speedometer will read an interpret. Cost when I bought it some 7+ years ago was like $75. Worked really well for me until I went full traction control and needed inputs from all 4 wheels. This option will give you driveshaft speed which will get interpreted as speed.... not useful at all for traction control.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post

I'd love to get my hands on a Miata VSS. The N/A RX-7 transmission is nearly identical to NA and non-Mazdaspeed NB Miata transmissions (I have the Miata guts in my transmission to prove it) so I imagine it would bolt right in.

I forgot all about the A/D converter. The speedometer I have says it can use a signal from either a VR or Hall effect sensor as long as the signal is 3V peak-peak. I'm sure the VR input would be slightly irratic if not wired absolutely perfectly so the A/D converter is probably a good idea nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
I believe its called Speedometer solutions in MN or WI or somewhere around there. They have a unit (or they did anyway) that will thread into the tranny where the cable did. It outputs a hall effect signal that just about any aftermkt speedometer will read an interpret. Cost when I bought it some 7+ years ago was like $75. Worked really well for me until I went full traction control and needed inputs from all 4 wheels. This option will give you driveshaft speed which will get interpreted as speed.... not useful at all for traction control.
I did a quick search on the other forums and found a few hits. Latest seemed to be from 2010 and the mentioned cost was ~$100. Considering that's less than a new Miata VSS or a used ABS hub and it wouldn't require a A/D converter it's worth a call. Do you have any pictures of the unit you had or any knowledge of the pulses/revolution?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

Quote:
I did a quick search on the other forums and found a few hits. Latest seemed to be from 2010 and the mentioned cost was ~$100. Considering that's less than a new Miata VSS or a used ABS hub and it wouldn't require a A/D converter it's worth a call. Do you have any pictures of the unit you had or any knowledge of the pulses/revolution?
In case anyone is curious I spoke with Speedometer Solutions yesterday and they still offer the converter. It attaches right to the stock mechanical speedometer driven gear housing and generates a digital square wave signal with 16 pulses per revolution. Three-wire hookup: switched 12V power (red), ground (black), and signal output (white). $98.50: