Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
bowjangles
Rotary Fan in Training

bowjangles is on a distinguished road
Default cololant on engine

Any ideas out there on how this coolant got on the outside of my 13 B? It was pooled up on the block just above where the intake manifold is attached- in those depressions. Appreciate any insights. Foto attached

bowjangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
rxtasy3
rotary madness

rxtasy3 is on a distinguished road

there's an "O" ring there between the block and intake. probably leaking.
rxtasy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
bowjangles
Rotary Fan in Training

Thanks for the info Rxtasy3. I will pull the intake today and take a look. Can I reuse the manifold gasket?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

The OP said this is a 13B, and it's in the 1st gen section so I'm assuming it's a GSL-SE or a 13B transplant from a 2nd gen, is this correct?

If so, the first thing I'd check is the small coolant bypass hose that pipes coolant from the rear housing, through the throttle body/thermo wax and back to the water pump housing. A leak in any of those hoses could result in coolant pooling where the OP stated. The intake manifold O-rings could also be bad, but I don't think that's the case here, since OP said the coolant was on the top side of the mani - coolant won't flow against gravity to pool there.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
bowjangles
Rotary Fan in Training

Thanks for your input Mr. Pete.
I wish I could find out more about the engine.It was installed in a '80 Triumph TR7 that I recently purchased. The engine is stamped 13 B. Engine number on the block is B 63798.I would love to find out what year is so that I can order some replacement parts. Even called the Mazda dealer- no help there!

Also it has a manual choked Nikki carb on it that also has no Id. numbers either- would like to rebuild that, but alas- don't know model number or year.

The coolant leak was indeed the 2 rubber O-rings that are between the intake man.and the block- they were cracked and deformed- problem solved!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
730RWHP12A
Rotary Fanatic

730RWHP12A is on a distinguished road

good call Rxtasy3.. this was an old school 13B that had coolant o rings.. they commonly fail, and im assuming that's why Mazda did away with them in the later engines
730RWHP12A is offline   Reply With Quote