Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc...

Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc... Place where you could talk about car care, body kits, painting your car, Carbon Fiber, Thumping Stereo, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road
Default 6x9 speakers in an FC vert?

Ok, so I got a pretty beat up FC, and it came with like, the MOST ghetto stereo install I ever saw, and some 6x9 Pioneer speakers in these weird box things that were just laying around in the back area with some wires hooked up, with absolutely NO hint of actual mounting. Right now, I took all that shit out, and just have the door speakers and a gaping hole in my dash with the factory plugs sticking out.

Now, I want to put in my old headunit, but these dont really look like they want to fit anywhere withought a lot of work, and the stock S5 vert speakers/plastic sround things are gone from that low area behind the seats. What should I do? I'm a total noob at speaker installs, only installed a head unit before.

Would it be too hard to make a small box out of plywood or something? And, how far away do the magnets on the speakers have to be from any metal? I was thinking of a flush mount setup in the spare tire area of my vert, since I dont have a tire there anyway?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
$100T2
Big Daddy

$100T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
Ok, so I got a pretty beat up FC, and it came with like, the MOST ghetto stereo install I ever saw, and some 6x9 Pioneer speakers in these weird box things that were just laying around in the back area with some wires hooked up, with absolutely NO hint of actual mounting. Right now, I took all that shit out, and just have the door speakers and a gaping hole in my dash with the factory plugs sticking out.

Now, I want to put in my old headunit, but these dont really look like they want to fit anywhere withought a lot of work, and the stock S5 vert speakers/plastic sround things are gone from that low area behind the seats. What should I do? I'm a total noob at speaker installs, only installed a head unit before.

Would it be too hard to make a small box out of plywood or something? And, how far away do the magnets on the speakers have to be from any metal? I was thinking of a flush mount setup in the spare tire area of my vert, since I dont have a tire there anyway?
Wow.

Where to begin?

First, you can make a box out of plywood, if you want it to sound like shit. You only make boxes out of fiberglass or medium-density fiberboard, or MDF.

Next, what kind of box do you want to build? Are you talking about doing it for those 6 x 9s? Or, do you want to upgrade the speakers? If you want to use the 6 x 9s, they don't need a box: You can mount them in a flat sheet of plywood. Magnet distance is irrelevant, other than not wanting to hear the magnets bang on the metal. It won't affect the speakers.

My advice: If you are going to put any kind of work or effort into your stereo, you might as well upgrade components. Just by using Ebay, you can get yourself a very nice sounding, very inexpensive set up.

The first thing I did with my 'vert was upgrade the door and dash speakers. I bought a pair of 4" speakers to mount in the dash, and bought a pair of 5 1/4" separates for the doors. I mounted the tweeters for the separates up by the mirrors (I did it ghetto style with double sided tape until I get around to building pods), and the sound difference there is amazing.

I'm going to be doing an install into that area of my 'vert, I'll take pictures as I go and do a step-by-step thread for this section. If you want to wait and see how mine turns out so you can copy ideas or ask questions, that might be a good idea.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Well, the 6x9 speakers are nice, and I got a nice head unit I'm going to put in after I get it running right. When I meant "Box" I was talking about some kind of support for the speakers, not a "sub" box by any means. So if I just find a way to put in the wood, the distance between the magnets and the sheetmetal wont matter? Even if it's 1/2"~ 1/4"?

Hmm, this will be easier than thought, thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
$100T2
Big Daddy

$100T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
Well, the 6x9 speakers are nice, and I got a nice head unit I'm going to put in after I get it running right. When I meant "Box" I was talking about some kind of support for the speakers, not a "sub" box by any means. So if I just find a way to put in the wood, the distance between the magnets and the sheetmetal wont matter? Even if it's 1/2"~ 1/4"?

Hmm, this will be easier than thought, thanks.
Doesn't matter, just don't let 'em touch the metal. I mean, even if they did, it probably wouldn't affect anything.

Just food for thought: If you want a little bit better bass out of them, build a small airtight box for 'em when you mount them. It's about $7 in MDF and an hour of your time, and it will help them sound a LOT better. Seal all the inside parts of the box with tub caulk or whatever, ($2 at Home Depot), and you're good to go.

You might want to google the specs on the speakers, see if the manufacturer recommends a box size. If so, let me know the recommended volume, we can reverse it out to give you the dimensions you need.

Only build boxes out of 3/4" MDF, btw, although for 6 x 9s, you could probably get away with 1/2".