Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Drifting

Drifting All things sideways

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Rotary no Densetsu
Haters gonna hate

Rotary no Densetsu is on a distinguished road
Default D1GP facing a very uncertain future.

http://www.k1planning.com/info/other/post-4.html

I'm sure all the guys on here that are really into drifting already know about this, but I also figured this deserved to be posted up.

So, with Tsuchiya and a few other key players in D1 gone and starting a new series.

What are your thoughts? I personally think that Formula D is really heading in this direction as well. I also believe D1GP will meet it's demise in due time, which is sad, though I do agree with what Tsuchiya is saying, professional drifting is becoming monotonous, everyone using the same powerplant, everyone using the same car, the same people winning all the time, politics, politics, politics. It's becoming NASCAR as unfortunate as it sounds.

If the organizers of Formula D don't take a step back and look at the bigger picture, I'm certain they will meet a similar fate.

On the other hand.

I'm super excited for the new series Tsuchiya and co. are starting.

Thoughts?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

No surprise...

I've heard the rumblings as far back as 10 years ago about D1.
I've heard some of the top competitors grumbling about "politics".

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Rotary no Densetsu
Haters gonna hate

Yep. Going on a lot of the same stuff is going on in Formula D too.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

FormulaD/D1=Monster Truck Rally

Same book, different cover.

But that is my opinion.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post

But that is my opinion.
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

The drifters have thier section so they can freely talk without being bashed. Much like the track junky sections, the auto-x sections. I don't see them in there saying track racing is gay. So, if it doesn't have to do with drifting, keep it out of the drifting section.

-Brian

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

I've been hearing about this a lot.

I am not sure about D1 as no one has given me details as to WHY Tsuchiya and the others left, but I'm sure it's for a good reason.

I can say however, that I am not a big fan of some things going on in Formula D, such as guys like Hubernette, Vaughn Gittin Jr, Rhys Millen, etc being allowed to just totally dominate everyone else because of the sheer amount of money and sponsors they have.

In SCCA Speed world Challenge, you always hear about guys like Cunningham (Realtime Acura) getting ballast put in and etc to level the playing field because of how good they placed before) I think it's just plain unfair to expect such a top level of performance from the #1 vs the #32 qualifier.

I feel like if things stay the way they are, it's just gonna be the same old people always winning every event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post

But that is my opinion.
How much skill do you really need to drive a monster truck?

The thing about monster trucks is there's no art to it... it's mainly just "Hulk Smash!"

In drifting, a lot of mods are relatively unrestricted compared to autocross, SCCA, etc and the cars alone at the upper levels are very interesting due to this.

The driving as well, it's fast paced and on the edge, looks cooler, and is more acessible to younger guys. It seems like Monster Trucks are more of a spectator sport and the people watching dont really want to do the driving so much.

Last edited by Max777; 01-10-2011 at 12:15 PM..
Max777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Rotary no Densetsu
Haters gonna hate

Tsuchiya and co. basically stated they really didn't like how the organization was being ran. He doesn't really talk about specifics, just stating how D1 has forgotten where it came from and is really only in it for cash.

While I have not really noticed it in D1, apparently there's been favouritism and such with certain drivers during competition. You see this sort of thing in Formula D quite a bit, this whole year being a great example, with JR. taking the championship when he obviously was beaten, even other drivers had stuff to say about it. Such a disappointment.

At any rate. Tsuchiya's new series is gonna be awesome and allow a lot of guys that have the skill but not necessarily the cash to run a professional program. So there will be a lot of new talent coming up, it's gonna be awesome.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Max777
Pirate

I remember at D1 Chicago there was all that bull about how the Team Orange guys threw a fit about some judge's score.

I was there and when all the stuff happened first hand, I was so confused.

Found this link, the souce is not verified, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...s-ar77925.html
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
How much skill do you really need to drive a monster truck?

The thing about monster trucks is there's no art to it... it's mainly just "Hulk Smash!"

In drifting, a lot of mods are relatively unrestricted compared to autocross, SCCA, etc and the cars alone at the upper levels are very interesting due to this.

The driving as well, it's fast paced and on the edge, looks cooler, and is more acessible to younger guys. It seems like Monster Trucks are more of a spectator sport and the people watching dont really want to do the driving so much.
And how many people at drifting events actually drive? If its as easy as you say it is, everyone would do it.

Quote:
I remember at D1 Chicago there was all that bull about how the Team Orange guys threw a fit about some judge's score.

This is why it's not racing. Racing is determined by a clock or who finished first. When you start getting into subjective scoring, you loose all right to bitch when someone "beats" you.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Max777
Pirate

Brian,, the "problem" is, the sport attracts a lot of younger people that really can't afford to drift but bust their balls to do so anyway.

for a drift car, you need:

coilovers/ suspension links
Proper 2 way differential
Supportive bucket seat / harness
extra wheels and tires

probably some other mods like cooling upgrades (oil cooler/ bigger radiator, etc)

While this isn't much, coilovers are usually around $1500 with all the bits like camber adjusters, DTSS bushings, etc
A 2 way diff is also around $1000~$2000 plus it's complicated for most casual mechanics to install, meaning more install cost.
Good seat + harness is about $800.

extra wheels and tires, can be from free to $2000.

So, in a nut shell, in order to get the most out of an event, you need to drop roughly $4000 on a car you just spent all your savings on in order to really get anything out of an event. Now, this $4000 does not include purchase price of the car, or any maintenance that you may need to do, from an oil change to a new head gasket.

Pretty much, a good idea would probably be to finish college and get a good stable job before even considering trying to drift, but who wants to wait that long?

Also, I just want to make it clear that no one ever claimed that it was racing. Only idiots call it "drift-racing" everyone else laughs at the thought.

The whole mountains of Japan thing is Touge Racing, (you drive as fast as possible any means possible) in which the rules are:

Lead follow, if you keep up with the other car, you win, if you dont keep up, you lose.
If you win, you switch places, and have another go until you get the best 2/3.

Then you also have your back and fourth runs, in which you get to the end, and double back, whoever crosses the line wins.

I know I sound like an Initial D nerd, but it's actually really fun if you try it.

Last edited by Max777; 01-11-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Max777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It's sad that shit like this happened.
Even though the officials might have been wrong, you don't throw temper tantrums like this.
Do this is almost any other top-level racing sanction, and they will kick you off the track and most likely the property.
Officials are officials - they are there for your safety; if we start to ignore their calls, someone if going to get hurt or killed.
If you have a problem with an official's call, there are procedures and rules about appeals and chain-of-command.
If I were in charge, I would ban the entire Team Orange for the rest of the season, period.

It's sad to see that the Japanese are strutting like roosters like this.
It never used to be like this before.
The Japanese always had pride, but it was never a public display like this.
This isn't an isolated case to Team Orange - I see it everyday in Waikiki / Hawaii with the tourist from Japan.
Sad...

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tanaka was apparently revving the engine of his Subaru and gently nudging the track official out of the way with the orange car’s front bumper
Wow, what a douche. He definitely needs to be removed from some races or something. I know these guys are professionals, but you slip a foot off the clutch or twitch or something and you just ran a guy over...
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Max777
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
It's sad that shit like this happened.
Even though the officials might have been wrong, you don't throw temper tantrums like this.
Do this is almost any other top-level racing sanction, and they will kick you off the track and most likely the property.
Officials are officials - they are there for your safety; if we start to ignore their calls, someone if going to get hurt or killed.
If you have a problem with an official's call, there are procedures and rules about appeals and chain-of-command.
If I were in charge, I would ban the entire Team Orange for the rest of the season, period.

It's sad to see that the Japanese are strutting like roosters like this.
It never used to be like this before.
The Japanese always had pride, but it was never a public display like this.
This isn't an isolated case to Team Orange - I see it everyday in Waikiki / Hawaii with the tourist from Japan.
Sad...

-Ted
Yeah, I hear you. I felt appalled at The Team Orange guys after I heard what happened. That's why I like people that "Keep drifting fun". All the technical bullshit need not apply.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Rotary no Densetsu
Haters gonna hate

I can understand why the guys at Team Orange got pissed, 'cause it was kind of a bullshit call.

But the way they handled it was out of line.