Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc...

Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc... Place where you could talk about car care, body kits, painting your car, Carbon Fiber, Thumping Stereo, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
iheardsupport
The Newbie

iheardsupport is on a distinguished road
Default a bunch of interior questions!

Alright so i have a bunch of questions that hopefully you guys have had some experience with. (This is a 1988 GTU n/a)

1. The driver's side lock doesn't work anymore, the key won't go in and when it does it won't turn.

2. The right side exterior door handle won't open the door.

3. The sunroof won't open. I push the button and the motor tries to open but its like it gets stuck.

4. The wipers only work on one setting.

5. The reverse lights won't come on.

6. The driver door window gets stuck half way up. I have to push forward on the backside of the window to get it to go the rest of the way up.

Thats all i can think of for now but thank you very much for any help you can give!

iheardsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Congratulations!

You have nearly every FC interior common problem known to exist!!

1- the lock cylinder is seized. I had the same issue, a locksmith got it working again. I took it out and brought it to him.

2- the handle is made of cheap 'pot' metal. They break alot, you need to find a new/used one. It really can't be fixed (trust me)

3- Common as well. The sunroof is pretty shitty. I used to have to help mine up, then it would work fine.

4- Get a new wiper switch, or get ahold of vex (on this forum). I believe he is rebuilding them.

5- Check the plugs on the trans. Either that or the switch itself is bad.

6- Take out the window regulator and check to see if it is binding. Sometimes you can just use some graphite lube and it will work fine. Sometimes you will need a new regulator.

Now all you need is your window switch to fail and your idiot cluster clock to stop working.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
iheardsupport
The Newbie

I'm assuming thats for electric windows? Thankfully these are manual windows actually, helps in Michigan to have less electric 'things' in the car so the pot holes have less things to ruin :P

Oh, and the clock doesn't work. Forgot about that :P
Old 12-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

DJ has it right on.

6. I can only assume that it's trying to jump out of track or something. Take the door skin off and watch what it does when you try to roll it up.

For the clock, the cold solder joints go bad after a while. The only real way to fix it is to open up the idiot lights, desolder everything, and then resolder everything. You can probably get away with just doing the clock, but might as well do them all. I did it a couple years ago and my clock remains set. This is including having to put in a couple jumper wires due to corroded leads.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheardsupport View Post
Alright so i have a bunch of questions that hopefully you guys have had some experience with. (This is a 1988 GTU n/a)
You really should be posting this in the 2nd gen section...

Quote:
1. The driver's side lock doesn't work anymore, the key won't go in and when it does it won't turn.
The lock cylinder is fucked.
The lock cylinder needs to be replaced.
Last time I checked, it's $30 - $40 from the Mazda dealer and another $20 - $30 to rekey to your key.
(It might cost more now.)

Quote:
2. The right side exterior door handle won't open the door.
Door handle is broken.
It needs to be replaced.
There's a write-up on the evil forum on using safety wire and drilling holes, but I find it too much of a pain.
Good, used replacement handles abound in the classifieds and eBay.

Quote:
3. The sunroof won't open. I push the button and the motor tries to open but its like it gets stuck.
Sunroof assembly / linkage(s) are most likely corroded and stuck.
Either unstuck yours or get a replacement assembly.

Quote:
4. The wipers only work on one setting.
Typical problem due to bad relays in the wiper cluster switch.

Quote:
5. The reverse lights won't come on.
Typical problem due to bad cold solder joints in the "CPU".

Quote:
6. The driver door window gets stuck half way up. I have to push forward on the backside of the window to get it to go the rest of the way up.
Slight misalignment of the glass - by realigning the glass window, this should make the glass move easier in the track.
If I remember correctly, loosen window glass mount and tilt the front portion down.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup

Last edited by RETed; 12-16-2010 at 02:30 PM..
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
iheardsupport
The Newbie

Sorry for the mis-post, thought this would be right, my main question is how do i get to the sunroof assembly/inside parts?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
RETed
RCC Addict

Basically, all the internal panels needs to be removed to get the headliner off the roof.
Once the headliner is out, there's a bunch of nuts that hold the sunroof assembly in.

-Ted

Quote:
Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Wow. All I can say.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Before doing all that work to take apart the sunroof, does it open & close fully with a little manual assistance? In other words, if you push up on the back end of it from inside while holding the switch, will it go up OK, and will it open & close all the way if you help it along (not forcing it - just a little push)from the inside?

If so, a good thorough cleaning & lube of the track mechanism may be all you need to do. With the sunroof fully open & all the way back, you can get to most of the lenght of the tracks, and with it closed but popped up all the way, you can get to the rest. To clean, I used a little brake cleaner applied by rags, Q-tips and/or rags wrapped on sticks/pencils or whatever works to get in there and clean all the accumulated crap out of the tracks. Once that was done, I lubed the tracks with a little silicone spray, and ran the sunroof back & forth a few times, lubing a little more on each pass. I've been doing this drill once a year since I got my '7 used in '99, and it's been working fine since.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
iheardsupport
The Newbie

I only wish it was like that, but no, it won't budge even with help from my hand! It's weird cause you can hear the motor trying and it ever-so-slightly move but nothing more
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

There's a manual crank you can try. Take off the button thing on the headliner and it's up there.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5ABaby View Post
There's a manual crank you can try. Take off the button thing on the headliner and it's up there.
Yup, and if he lost the crank, I believe the right sized allen wrench will do.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_89T2 View Post
Yup, and if he lost the crank, I believe the right sized allen wrench will do.
Correct. Someone still has the stock crank?

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_89T2 View Post
If so, a good thorough cleaning & lube of the track mechanism may be all you need to do.
You're lucky if this is the case...

I've found that the majority of them have either one side linkage corroded into the guide tube or both.
In this case, you'll need to disassemble the whole thing anyways (or at least replace the bad parts).

If anything, it's nice to just clean up the old grease and relube everything up nicely.

It's a tideous job, but it's not impossible.
If you're willing to try, give yourself a day for this job.
You'll need to keep track of all the screw and springs in there, and the two-stage lift assembly can be a puzzle to remove and reassemble.

-Ted

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
iheardsupport
The Newbie

I tried opening the sun roof with the alan wrench crank and the driver's side track is completely stuck, won't budge at all