Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default brake pad reviews

I did a search for the title and brake pads in general (only in this section though) and didn't find much, so I was thinking maybe we could have a thread just about reviews on brake pads. Might not be a bad idea to add what type of setup you have along with it too...rotors, lines, fluid, etc.

I'm looking for new pads and I'm just not sure which ones to get. About 4 or 5 years ago I got slotted Brembo rotors (OEM size) from Ramy along with some EBC Greenstuff pads (which he recommended) and some stainless steel braided lines. At that time I rebuilt my stock front calipers and painted them all around (not that THAT matters lol). Back then I also bought a liter of ATE Super Blue fluid but didn't think about the fact that I'd need more than a liter to flush my old fluid and add the new stuff, so I never did the job. I plan to this time though.

My pads have lasted alot longer than I ever expected, and they've been pretty good to me, but I have quite a bit more power now than what I had when I did the brake job and I'm finally planning to start tracking the car a bit. Let me point out, I have no experience on the track just yet, I've just had so much fun building my car that I haven't made it to any classes yet, but I want to do that soon. Basically, I'm not looking for the top of the line track pad because I know I won't need that any time soon. What I DO want though is something that has very little or no squeal, I'd like minimal dust but it doesn't bother me as much as long as it's not corrosive, and I'd like something that doesn't have to be really hot to work since I'll be using these more on the street at the moment. I'd also love it if they didn't eat the rotors too bad, but you can't have everything lol. Carbotechs seem to have alot of pros and not as many cons, but from what I've read they squeal alot.

I've been researching out the wazoo, reading reviews on rotary forums and online (not necessarily for 7s though), and checking out different companies, and all I see is conflicting views. I've tried to look at the pros and cons but it's kinda difficult when everyone contradicts each other evenly. Anyway, any input?

My current setup:
-Brembo OEM size slotted rotors
-SS braided lines
-stock rebuilt calipers
-EBC Greenstuff pads
-IIRC I use dot 3 fluid

Reviews:
-No squeal at all
-haven't tracked them at all, only street duty and some spirited driving here and there
-they don't seem to have eaten the rotors too bad, but I haven't taken any measurements
-dust seems fairly light
-they've made me pretty happy overall, but like I said, they've never been on the track and I'm not exactly a pro driver like some 7 owners

speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Update:

After more research last night, I think I've decided on the EBC Yellowstuff 4000 R ceramic pads. Any input from anyone?
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Miata_mx5
Rotary Fan in Training

Miata_mx5 is on a distinguished road

If you want to abuse it on the track, IMO Yellowstuff is not going to cut it. You need the Bluestuff. I would personally use DBA Wiper-slot rotors over Brembo also.

Anything "ceramic" or resin bonded semi-metallic has the potential to squeal when very very cold or improperly bedded. That is just the nature of the material.

Miata_mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Kentetsu
RCC Contributor

Kentetsu is on a distinguished road

A couple of years ago, I bought new rotors for all four corners from Rockauto. I bought (nearly) the cheapest ones that they had, which ended up being about 15-17 bucks a piece.

At the same time, Billy from Respeed sent me a set of Hawk pads (the ones recommended for autocross) for winning their points championship, so I installed those as well (again, all four corners).

Fast forward two years and the pads show hardly any wear, and the rotors still look like new. Performance has been outstanding, even under the harshest of conditions. Even running the Dragon (in "highly spirited mode), by the time I got to the bottom of the mountain I still wasn't experiencing any fade or degradation of performance.

I am PERFECTLY happy with this setup, and when it comes time to replace anything, I intend to go exactly the same route. I honestly can't believe that those cheap rotors have performed as well as they did, but they did have Brembo stamped on them although I figured they were counterfit versions.

'85 GS 12a + LSD/Sterling carb/Respeed coilovers/Respeed front swaybar/Respeed adj. rear spring perches/Illuminas/Bilsteins on rear

AutoX vids @ http://www.youtube.com/user/Kentetsu1
Kentetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Im running OEM replacemen rotors, reman 4 piston fronts and reman rears, with Hawk HPS pads. I get no squealing and have yet to have them fade, although the hardest driving I've done is the Dragon. The dusting is a bit more than normal but not bad. I have heard the HPS aren't the best for the track but they're a decent mix between track and street. I intend to put them on my dd Mazda 6.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Gregory Casimir
Rotary Fanatic

Gregory Casimir is on a distinguished road

well are any of you guys using the powerslot rotors? I'm currently refreshing my whole brake system (pads, reman calipers, fluid) and I'm debating on how good these are for street/track usage? I'm not trying to go to crazy expensive on these either just something that is the best of both worlds.
Gregory Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote