Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

TypeSL_T is on a distinguished road
Default Weird Tach Problems

I am driving my dad's '83 while I am fixing my Saturn, and I told him that I was going to look at a few problems he is having. Problem is, some are kinda weird. For instance, when I am giving the car some throttle like when I am getting on the interstate, the tach will kinda bounce around. And normally I wouldn't care, but the car has been running pretty rough as of late, and seems to have lost some power. Could anyone help me figure out which direction I should be going with this? I have been told that I should look for a vacuum leak for the running rough, but they are clueless about the tach issue. I was thinking that there may be a problem with the distributor. I don't know very much about working on carbd stuff though, so maybe the vacuum leak would fix all my problems. Sorry for such a long winded post, but thanks for any assistance.

James

smf #11
TypeSL_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

The tach gets it's signal from the trailing coil, which is normally the front one. If the tach is jumping around, it could be the ignition system needs attention, which could explain the loss of power.
Start by checking the connections of all wires on both coils, and all of the leads from the coils to the dizzy, then on to the plugs.
While you're at it, look at the underside of the cap to what condition it is in. Might be time for a cap/rotor replacement.
Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

I will look into that. Thank you.

James
smf #11
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
codytheoutlaw
The Newbie

codytheoutlaw is on a distinguished road

Your car is screwed. Just give it to me. lol
codytheoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

Only in your wet dreams sucker. lol. I started working on my Satty again Monday. I dropped the oil pan so I could clean up all of the debris. Now I just got to get a few rod bolts and start putting it all back together. Let me know what your schedule is like so we can figure out some time for you to come by.

James
smf #11
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
codytheoutlaw
The Newbie

codytheoutlaw is on a distinguished road

My schedule is probably the exact opposite of yours. Most likely any Friday, or Saturday night I'll be able to swing by. I'm awake from about 7 PM till 10 AM. Third shift sucks.
codytheoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

Dang. That blows. I am off most Saturdays, so we will have to try to meet up soon. I am going to be working on the car a lot the next few weeks to try to get it running again.

James
smf #11
Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
rx4ur7
Rotary since 1972

rx4ur7 is on a distinguished road

Bouncing of tach usually indicates igniter or wiring issue. Check igniter, coil, coil wire, wiring to coil and igniter. Check all grounds. Last would be to check tach unit, they do go bad but usually will not effect running.
rx4ur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

I took a video of it, but the video is too big to send from the phone. I am going to try to get the video up some time this weekend. One other thing I forgot about was the tach will sometimes not work at all. It only does this when it is really cold out though, so I didn't think too much about it.

James
smf #11
Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
rx4ur7
Rotary since 1972

rx4ur7 is on a distinguished road

My experience has been that a cold out inconsistent tach was the tach itself. Hook up a timing light to the trailing ignition when it is not working, or pull the trail coil wire, making sure you are not grounded to the car. If you have spark, you have a bad tach, if it does not, check wiring.

Igniters usually are not inconsistent failures they either work or they don't. Out of the hundreds I have diagnosed I think there was one or two that were.

Bad grounds, broken wires or connectors are the most common failure issues in that order. Just because a wire looks good does not always mean it is. I have found many a broken wire under good looking insulation. Continuity test was the easiest way to find them.

Without being able to put my hands on it and from the symptoms you give my money right now is on the gauge itself.

Other issues that can show at this age of the platform would be with the circuit board. Rust, corrosion or damage circuit.
rx4ur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

Last week the car would not start on Monday or Tuesday morning. Pulled the plug wires and found there was no spark at the plug, but there was spark at the distributor. Replaced the plug wires and tried again. Still wouldn't go. Realized I didn't clear out the flood that probably occurred. Pulled all the plugs out and dumped all the gas out of them. Turned the motor over a few times and cleared the rest. Reinstalled plugs and wires and it started and was a little rough, but not too bad.

So basically, after replacing the plug wires and clearing out the flood, the car has never ran better. The tach doesn't act up anymore, and the car doesn't buck. I never realized plug wires could cause so much crazy stuff.

James
smf #11
Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
angelofragnarok
Wankel Fan

angelofragnarok is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to thank the OP for this thread. Now I know something else about my 84!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
TypeSL_T
Rotary Fan in Training

I am glad I could help.

James
smf #11