Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Motorsport Discussion

Motorsport Discussion Talk about any motorsport discussion.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
angelofragnarok
Wankel Fan

angelofragnarok is on a distinguished road
Default RX-8 Class?

Hello, I'm trying to get information on which class the RX-8 falls into. I'm a new guy to all racing, have a NASA membership, and am interested in doing a HPDE. But along with class specification, what else on a stock RX-8 needs to be tinkered with for the track? Sorry for the extreme noob questions, but I'm dying to start racing and I haven't the foggiest on where to start.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
BurnVktm
The Newbie

BurnVktm is on a distinguished road

Depends on your modifications....

Stock- your basic showroom vehicle. Additional modifications permitted by SCCA: R (race) compound DOT tires (e.g. Hoosiers, Kumho's are popular) factory wheels or aftermarket wheels of the same size/width/offset +/- 1/4" any shock using the original mounting points or of a similar style or type (no coilovers) any muffler, exhaust or tip from the catalytic converter back. any FRONT sway bar. additional "comfort and convenience" items that do not materially impact vehicle performance.

STS-Street tire class for 4 seat compacts, aka "tuners" which have been lightly tuned: Aftermarket shock/springs, including lowering springs and adjustable shocks/struts Camber kits, urethane bushings, any swaybars, strut tower braces permitted Maximum wheel width of 7.5", up to 225mm tires, tradwear rating minimum of 140 (popular tires include Falken Azenis and Kumho MX) Cold air intakes and short tube headers are legal, but no throttle body modifications permitted. Reflashed ECUs permitted, but no standalone/piggyback units. Aftermarket Ignition wires/plugs OK. Aftermarket brake rotors and pads permitted, but stock calipers/drums must remain. Stickers, subwoofers, aftermarket (padded reclining) seats, Altezzas, vertical doors permitted. NOTE: Carbon fiber hoods, enormous wings, and weight reductions will put you in Street Mod. Nitrous is not permitted at autocross events, so save it for the drag strip. Underdrive pulleys and battery relocations permitted.

STX- Street tire class for cars with engines up to 5 liters NA or 2 liters turbo. Same rules apply as STS, but up to 8" wheels and 245 mm tires. Limited slips allowed for 2WD cars.

STU- Street tire class for larger NA motors, or up to 3.1 liters turbo/supercharged Unrestricted wheel width, Tire width up to 275 (RWD) or 245 (AWD).

Street Prepared- Cars with aftermarket components that are strictly bolt on. Internal mods are limited. Everthing that is allowed above PLUS: Coilovers permitted DOT tires, R compounds are encouraged. Limited slip differentials can be added any bolt on engine components (non-internal in other words), including headers, carbs, bigger injectors, fuel injection mods, computers, throttle bodies, ITBs, port-matched/decked heads. Wheels are open, -1, +1,+2 and +3 are allowed, and as wide as you can get without rubbing.

Moving on to the serious track hound...

Prepared- the next modification stage. Internal engine mods, radical suspensions, stripped interiors etc. Modifications allowed include:

* Racing Slicks/Non DOT racing tires permitted
* weight minimums are based on engine displacement.
* wheel size is dependent on engine and class.
* Mondo Bizarro suspensions, subframe connectors, chassis braces.
* Any brakes permitted, ducting, etc.
* Chassis reinforcement and stiffening permitted (welded or bolt on), Holes/notching permitted to allow these mods.
* Engines with internal modifications permitted. Larger displacement may add a weight penalties.
* Roll cages may be required, a must for convertibles.
* Transmissions, close ratio gears, strange rear axle ratios are expected
* Racing fuel tank permitted
* Glass can be replaced with Lexan or removed entirely.
* Light weight body panels i.e fiberglass and carbon fiber are acceptable, lighting (i.e. headlights) may be removed.
* Any seat permitted, interior/doors may be gutted. Factory hinges may be removed, but doors must open.
* Check the rule book if you think you are in the Prepared Class. There is a lot to cover.

Street Mod- allows about anything that started life as a production car. Better show up with slicks, wide ones! Turbos, larger Turbos, Superchargers. Engine swaps from the same manufacturer. NA goodies such as wild cams, high compression internals, strokers, oversized valves.

Street Mod 2- Street mod class for 2 seaters

Modified - the highest level of preparation allowed - usually devoted to purpose built race cars, like Formula Fords or production based cars with engine transplants.

A Modified car, with few exceptions, was never meant to be street legal. No weight restrictions, as much bracing, carbon fiber/fiberglass as possible, probably one seat, roll cage, no battery, etc. Must be trailered to events. If you are in the Modified class, you are not looking here to see what it is.

Last edited by BurnVktm; 01-21-2010 at 10:47 PM..
BurnVktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Brent
Sua Sponte

Brent is on a distinguished road

I think you listed the old SCCA AutoX classes, unless there is another organization that I don't know about.

As far as NASA and racing, sign up for HPDE 1 and get your feet wet at the track. You don't need anything special other than a SA2005 or better helmet, you, and your car. You'll have several blocks of classroom instruction as well as an in car instructor riding shotgun with you helping you out. If you want to start racing, NASA is a good place to be in my opinion as it grooms you for such. Once you check all the blocks for HPDE 1, you'll be signed off into HPDE 2, then 2 to 3, etc. Once you have a few weekends in three, you can request a Time Trial check ride. If you pass, you can run time trials. I don't remember what base class the RX-8 is in, but all of my RX-8 friends run TTD.
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFY00PAK_Ps
Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k0lJkcwrM

Last edited by Brent; 01-29-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote