Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Piston Engine Conversion

Piston Engine Conversion Have you replaced your rotary with a V8 or any other type of piston engine? Tell us about it!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #106
2gslse
Rotary Fanatic

2gslse is on a distinguished road

I would give you some measurements but my car is currently still in Pa. but it has its stock axle and newish bushings and the TII trans in stock location.

1985 Rx-7 toy/project car 411HP stoplight terror
2001 Dodge ram 4wd.parts hauler
2016 Ram 2500 cause its a hemi
2006 VW TDI commuter

I guarantee there's a pregnant redneck teenager somewhere in a shitty trailer park that thinks "Ebola would be a lovely name for their child"...
2gslse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #107
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85turbo12a View Post
[IMG]http://sphotos-a.xx.

a carefull look that i obviously failed to give it when i installed it will reveal the problem as i am seeing it, the car/trans are near as makes no difference level, and the rear is jacked up to all but ride height minus maybe 3/4" that the springs would let me get without lifting the car, this is an unaltered as ordered, bolt in grannies 8.8 rear end, and as i am seeing it, and the digi protractor i borrowed yesterday told me, the pinion is like 4 degrees UP instead of 1-3 degrees DOWN, it is as far as i can tell, totally wrong. and lowering the transmission for the 1uz install exacerbated the problem to the point it was noticed immediately
Looking at that and one of the FB's we haev on the lift, it looks like it's pointing in the right direction, just too much in that direction. I know on the FC it was pointing up slightly to be almost in line with the angle of the transmission, both of which were offset to get the needed rotation on the u-joints. It was a royal PITA for me, and what I ended up doing was putting the stock TII trans in there minus the tailshaft housing and putting a digital leve on the output shaft and then getting a measurement on the flange of the diff, IIRC they were withen 1* of each other, the offset came with the engine/trans and the diff itself not being in line....

My problem was made MUCH worse by the Banzai engine mounts to get the 13B-RE Cosmo block in there..... my thought at the time was, well, Chris I'm sure did all the math and made sure everything was proper to get the proper angles.... how wrong I was.... I know this for FACT because I built a steel "pallet" that I could bolt the Cosmo to with his mounts, sans the rubber engine mounts.... Then I needed to transport a stock S4 with stock mounts on it.... they weren't even close to lining up. Built my own pass side mount to rememdy the problem, then the drivers side mount broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gslse View Post
I'm sure its fixable in the long run but would it help any if you either extended the lower links a little or shortened the upper links to rotate the axle? I know you cant go far without modifying the spring perch,sway bar mounts, body/wheel contact but it may be an option.

is your trans and rear parallel to each other left to right? or a slight offset to allow the u-joints to rotate? I asked about my car since the drivetrain is slightly offset left to right and was told about vibrations from u-joints if I remember correctly( go look at it Brian. look at the motor mount to x-member)
All rotaries are offset, except the renni, that bitch is in there pretty damn straight.

[QUOTE=85turbo12a;233042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgtFrank View Post
Their rear ends are probably setup to be used with their mounts. Which does you no good since you're a nonconformist.

im pretty sure that the pinion angle is just outright wrong, sotck driveline or not, there is no way it needs to point 4 degrees north in this chassis for any reason, conformist or not i think it was borderline functional before and now it is intolerant

im working on that plan tonight once my help arrives to wrestle everything around, and yes, the control arms are an option, although the uppers are quite difficult to shorten, since that will also change location centers on them due to being angled, i can fudge a small amount and let the bushing take the flex, but not a lot, and the lowers can only rotate so far for stated reasons, but i can cut stuff off and move it just as easy, its just aggravating to have to do so. i will be obtaining the hard data on what is there and what needs to be there tonight, but if anyone has the STOCK information and reference points to determine factor pinion angle i would be more appreciative, i might be able to find it via google but i dont have to time to spend hours forum fishing

stay tuned for the next adventure of frankenseven the unlucky...
As I said before.... we've got a stock FB on the lift now without a driveshaft on it, what measurements do you need?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #108
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

Another quote failure. I keep getting blamed for stuff I didn't even say!

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #109
85turbo12a
nerd

85turbo12a is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another quote failure. I keep getting blamed for stuff I didn't even say!
could be worse...at least you dont have driveline misalignment

as for offset, i dont have much if any, the big arse engine kinda dictated where things went so im having to adjust around it, i think i have a plan....if goes to plan i should have car back on the ground by next weekend
85turbo12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #110
85turbo12a
nerd

the data collected tonight revealed a 5deg positive pinion angle to trans, luckily it looks like all i have to modify will in fact be the lower arms, need to extend them about .400in, im still very close in line with the trans, but it is angled, in the worst case position, near bump stop to simulate total full fuel tank, 2 people and a good dip in the road at speed, i have almost an inch drop with 1deg neg pinion angle, so it will be perhaps almost 2 inches with normal load so it just might be ok, i have my driveline guru making a special trip out tomorrow to verify my thinking and add his opinion...now if i can win the lotto it looks like i just might make DGRR!!

and TitaniumTT...you gonna have to bring the nickle...im probably going to use all mine up for fuel....
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #111
85turbo12a
nerd

ok, got the measurements needed, ended up having to shim the trans 3/8 up at the tailshaft, that is all the body and engine configuration will allow, but its better than nothing, going to make new lower control arms tomorrow, and stick it back together and let it eat and see what shakes loose.

also have to deal with the gearing..1 thing at a time...
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #112
85turbo12a
nerd

new lower arms, now with 1.25x.125 tubes, hope it puts things where they need to be, wont know for certain till its all back together
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #113
WankelsRevenge
Rotary Fanatic

WankelsRevenge is on a distinguished road

I see you have a tire plug kit.... anticipating problems?

Summary of this thread:
Guy asks legitimate question about cohabitation with girl friend.
Various people warn caution, share anecdotal evidence, and other stories.
YZF comes in and says everyone is wrong and that only his advice is accurate
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #114
85turbo12a
nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WankelsRevenge View Post
I see you have a tire plug kit.... anticipating problems?
funny you should mention that...i have no spare in the car since the battery and other hidden items consumed by spare tire well....so its plug kit and air pump for me, and hope for nothing catastrophic since i have a hard time finding my rear tires
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #115
WankelsRevenge
Rotary Fanatic

WankelsRevenge is on a distinguished road

Its funny how now that Im working at a tire shop, how many people just carry a can of fix-a-flat. Its not a bad idea keeping a plug kit in the car though, ever since I spotted a screw in one of my GF's tires Ive had one at hand in her glove box ever since.

Summary of this thread:
Guy asks legitimate question about cohabitation with girl friend.
Various people warn caution, share anecdotal evidence, and other stories.
YZF comes in and says everyone is wrong and that only his advice is accurate
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #116
85turbo12a
nerd

right test drive revealed i still have a vibration at 70ish, though its different this time and i blame the shaft itself, its about 1/2" too short now as well as when i had the Ujoint replaced the guy at the shop said the tube is slightly egged, so tomorrow i get a new shaft made and go from there....it has approx 2 degrees of drop from trans to rear and about 2 degree down pinion, that is the best i can do.

in other news....it will spin the tires about anytime you want...passing people at 70mph on the interstate whilst crabbing sideways has got to rustle a few jimmies.
when its finally tuned it will be undriveable...methinks...
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #117
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

You are a sick, sick man.

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #118
85turbo12a
nerd

Quote:
You are a sick, sick man.
been called worse

i just hope i can cure the vibe...it used to be so smooth at high speed...and as for the gap...i spose the engine is as good as it can be, i have beat the piss out of it trying to make that noise worse and it hasnt tossed its cookies so, now i just need to get the AFRs tuned in, front end aligned and hopefully cure the vibe and make my vent canister fit, and then...win the lottery so i can afford the fuel and motel....
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #119
85turbo12a
nerd

so far as i can tell the vibe is cured, put about 40 miles on it, including some northern speeds, and it seems ok now, with the help of my friend riding shotgun for some street tuning we got the interstate and mid range driving AFR's tuned in pretty good for a short session, its not perfect but its pretty good.

car is making great power and drives real nice, the combo such as it is, is a great one, now time will tell if the T2 trans will live, but ill just be nice to it now, got the gears changed out and put the swaybar and tailpipe back on it, and get it ready for DGRR!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #120
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker