Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Multimedia > Rotary Of The Month Contest > Winner's Circle

Winner's Circle Rotary Car Club Of The Month Member Rides!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road
Default October 2009 Rotary of the Month - RCCAZ 1

Congratulations!

Q: Congratulations for winning Ride of the Month! Tell us about how you acquired this car?
A: I purchased the car back in March of 2000 off of Ebay. This was just after the Y2K scare and needless to say, buying something off of Ebay (especially a car) back in March of 2000 was a leap of faith. Also, the car was located in Mililani Hawaii, so I purchased the car off of detailed pics, maintenance records, and personal referrals. I wired funds to his bank in Hawaii, he placed the car is a shipping container, and I owned the car for more than a month before I even saw it. However, the gamble paid off. The car was immaculate. Just lucky I guess.

Q: Favorite stretch of road to drive your car on (location)?
A: Two stretches actually. From Phoenix into LA each year down I-10 (Sevenstock Caravan) with 20+ of my best rotary friends. My favorite Arizona twisty section would be Route 89A from Phoenix heading North into Prescott, AZ. 20+ miles of 20 mph turns and elevation changes. Great white knuckle ride... especially when you catch it right and the cops and local traffic are absent.

Q: Whats the biggest reason you chose a rotary powered car to modify?
A: The styling of the Gen 3 was my first attraction. I distinctly remember my first Gen 3 sighting. My fiance and I were heading to the Grand Canyon for a weekend getaway in the Fall of 1993 when a Montego Blue FD flew past us. I turned to her and said... "Wow, what was that? I've got to have that car some day." A few weeks later a co-worker of mine rolled into the parking lot with a brand new CYM. I think that definitely helped seal the deal. Also being that I work for an Aerospace Engineering Company, a turbocharged rotary was the closest thing I'd ever experienced to a turbine-powered car. The smooth throttle response and linear powerband were alluring and hard to resist. Even today, nearly 10 years since I first bought the car, every day behind the wheel is like a Holiday. I've never gotten tired of driving the car.

Q: What are the future plans on this car?
A: Since I just finished up a huge engine/custom IC project, the final item I'd like to get installed is my Aquamist HFS-5 water/methanol injection system. New wheels should be here within the month (WorkMeister 3 pc - chrome lip with black centers). Also planning a brake rotor upgrade at that time.

Q: What was the worst and best memory of this project?
A: Best memory was going through the process of designing my own Vmount setup to get everything optimized. Some ideas worked well right out of the box, while others did not and required some redesign. However, in the end I think the final result turned out incredible!! Worst memory was probably lacking motivation early on to work on the project. Also, the trial and error of designing my own Vmount was discouraging at times, but persistence and perseverance eventually paid off.

Q: Any other hobbies besides cars?
A: Golf, Bicycling and chasing my 2 grandkids

Q: Anyone you'd like to thank?
A: Basically, I'd like to thank anyone who's ever done a project in the past and posted their pictures and results in online forums. I was a mechanical novice when I bought my Gen 3, but through reading the FSM and posts by others over the years, I've gained the confidence to do much of my own work. That has been extremely gratifying!

Others I'd like to thank would be:
Glen and Tom from Arizona Rotary Rockets for building a great engine and coaching me through many of the decisions that went into my final project. Glen... thanks for building a monster motor, and Tom, thanks for helping me sort out several "electrical" challenges on the car. Many nights of efforts above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks to both of you!

Aaron Looft from Yawpower in Phoenix for hooking us up with Paul's latest state-of-the-art injectors! Thanks again!

Glenn Roberts from Finishing Touch Body Shopwho's team sprayed my RE Amemiya CF hood CYM to match the car as well as respraying the Nose and headlight covers.

Pete from Diversified Metals for the excellent polishing work on my engine and IC.

Q: Anything in the pipeline for another ROTM win?
A: Not at this point. Just trying to find time to enjoy driving the finished product!

Full specifications listing? (mods, etc)

Drivetrain:
AZRR Large Street port (Balanced Assembly)
Ground X lower intake manifold
Blowzilla TD61 Turbo (GT35R compressor with ball bearing cartridge and T4 divided hot section with 76 mm turbine wheel and 1.0 AR)
AZRR turbo manifold and DP
Dual Tial 38 mm wastegates with aluminum hardlines
Tial BOV
Primaries (2 stock 450 cc RX-8 Renesis injectors)
Secondaries (4 1000 cc Yawpower injectors)
AZRR primary and secondary fuel rails
Weldon fuel pressure regulator
Bosch 044 fuel pump hardwired to the battery

Tweak-It aftermarket waterpump pulley tensioner kit
Garfinkle oil pan brace
Competiton Clutch lightweight steel flywheel with new ACT street/strip clutch
Aftermarket tranny cooler to replace "stock" power steering cooler "snake" assy

Custom built and ducted undertray

Power Results (91 octane):
375 RWHP at 12.5 pounds of boost and ~290 ft-lbs of torque.

That number climbs to 439.2 RWHP at 16.44 psi boost and more than 340 ft-lbs of torque.

Engine Management:
Apexi Power FC (Tuned by Tony from UMS Tuning in Mesa, AZ)
New Mazda engine wiring harness

Coil relocation kit (to stock cruise control area)

Brakes/Suspension:
Stock brakes for now with stainless steel Goodrich hard lines
Tein Flex Suspension with EDFC controller

Interior:
Stock R1 interior with dealer-installed BOSE in Hawaii. Torasport carbon fiber twill weave overlay kit. Momo carbon fiber look shift knob. Innovate LM1 Wideband O2 Sensor with digita display and turbotimer. Aftermarket Autometer carbon fiber series gauges (boost, water temp, oil temp). RE Amemiya steering column boost gauge holder with matching Autometer carbon fiber boost gauge. Battery relocated to drivers side rear bin.
Passenger side dash signed by Takaharu "Koby" Kobayakawa, project manager for Gen 3 development. Kinda similar to having Carrol Shelby sign your Cobra

Exterior:
Body (new items):
RE Amemiya AD9 CF hood (painted to match body color)
Shine auto FEED replica sideskirts in CF twill weave
Shine auto old style Amemiya rear diffuser
Aftermarket hood struts

18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Enkei RP01s (45 mm offset all around)

Last edited by ZGN; 11-04-2009 at 05:52 PM..
ZGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
N.RotaryTech
Home-brew Rotary

N.RotaryTech is on a distinguished road

"rccaz, Im really happy for you, but dregg100 has one of the best FD's of ALL TIME!!"

LOL.

PS: I know, its kinda old, but I wanted to do it, delete this post if you want.
N.RotaryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the win!! Great looking car!

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
RCCAZ 1
Rotary Fanatic

RCCAZ 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herblenny View Post
Congrats on the win!! Great looking car!
Thanks Phil. I'll post up more pics later today!
RCCAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
azlizard
The Newbie

azlizard is on a distinguished road

Congrats !
azlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
toyzzzz
The Newbie

toyzzzz is on a distinguished road

congrats Tim
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
RCCAZ 1
Rotary Fanatic

Thanks Scott and James. Here's some additional pics for those who don't want to surf and search for more details!

Show Mode (Intake Off) (SSXII)

Street Mode (Intake Installed)

WG Hardlines

Power Steering Solution

Interior Dash Sig (Koby-san)

Custom Undetray

Body Shots

Rolling Shots

Last edited by RCCAZ 1; 11-04-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
prrex4ever
Rotary Fanatic

prrex4ever is on a distinguished road

Beautiful car, well deserved win. Congrats!
prrex4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
need RX7
Clean S4 Nutswinger

need RX7 is on a distinguished road

Very nice . I like how the exterior appears stock at first glance, yet hints at the beast under the hood (not to mention CYM is a sexy color) Very tastefully modified. And the engine bay is quite the work of art. Congrats on the win.

need RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
RCCAZ 1
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.RotaryTech View Post
"rccaz, Im really happy for you, but dregg100 has one of the best FD's of ALL TIME!!"

LOL.

PS: I know, its kinda old, but I wanted to do it, delete this post if you want.
N.RotaryTech... agreed that dregg100's build is impressive, but best FD of ALL TIME? For me, that title goes to DCUPS from New Zealand. Now THAT (IMO) is the best FD build of ALL TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrex4ever View Post
Beautiful car, well deserved win. Congrats!
Thanks prrex4ever! Much appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by need RX7 View Post
Very nice . I like how the exterior appears stock at first glance, yet hints at the beast under the hood (not to mention CYM is a sexy color) Very tastefully modified. And the engine bay is quite the work of art. Congrats on the win.
Thanks need RX7. Several have mentioned that "all I need" is a 99 spec front end, and I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll head down that path or not. I have tried to keep the car fairly "stock" looking, but I do see some cooling advantages to the 99 spec nose. Who knows. We'll see!!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
REVIT93RX7
REVIT

REVIT93RX7 is on a distinguished road
Default Winner

Congrats on the win. Looks like it produces some amazing power.
REVIT93RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
RCCAZ 1
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIT93RX7 View Post
Congrats on the win. Looks like it produces some amazing power.
Thanks REVIT93RX7! Yea, it's a lotta fun and a handful. However, I find that on the low boost setting (375 rwhp) the power combined with the quick spool of the GT35R hybrid turbo is nearly perfect for driving tight twisty roads where you need some grunt coming out of the corners but not so much power as to constantly have traction issues