Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc...

Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc... Place where you could talk about car care, body kits, painting your car, Carbon Fiber, Thumping Stereo, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
thankey
The Newbie

thankey is on a distinguished road
Default 89 FC coupe radio

Who can hook me up with a replacement radio for my 89 GTU coupe? A CD would be nice, I've seen a few factory CD for the S5, but just the radio AM/FM with tape would be ok. I don't whant to go with a current version head unit since it is such a misfit style-wise for a 20 year old car. If I have to go with new, I'd like to get one with the red/orange display characters. Any suggestions?
A new kenwood installed (I have the kit and wiring harnes) would be 134 so it doesn't make sense to spen more than that. Anyone have an old unit laying around that you want to turn into cash? 89 - 91 would work, I think. Thanks.

thankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Cp1 is on a distinguished road

why a factory radio? i used to be adamant about getting a factory deck for my fd until i broke down and re did it with a newer JVC head unit and the color is completely adjustable (it matched my gauges and dash exactly) take a look at the thread i wrote "FD HEAD UNIT" just a few threads down.
Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread: http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=5157
Cp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
mazdadude7
Rotary Fanatic

mazdadude7 is on a distinguished road

I have one that I am working on replacing all the lights as they are blown out. Its a cd tape from a Turbo model.
mazdadude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Dang, I had an old stock radio (AM/FM/Cass + EQ) from my '89T2 taking up space in my garage since ~ 2000, and finally chucked it this past winter. It was semi-functional, in that it had the same cold solder joint issues common to many FC electronics. Mine would go silent intermittently, and while driving, a slap to the console would fix it (maybe). These radios are usually fixable, by opening them up and resoldering all the solder joints between the external connectors & circuit boards.

I'm the type who likes to keep things looking stock as well, but the radio was one area I was willing to compromise and enjoy the upgraded technology, so out it went, replaced by a Sony headunit w/CD, circa 2000. Like the other poster said, there are radios on the market today that offer display color options to help match with our '80's dashs. Plus the sound quality & features are SO much better that what our cars came with in the '80s. Since the Sony unit was a single DIN, and my factory radio was double DIN size, that freed up space for 3 gauges in a single DIN panel I fabricated for under the radio. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade again, so I can get MP3 and HD radio capabilities.

Pete,
'89T2
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Brian Barna
The Newbie

Brian Barna is on a distinguished road

Pete,

Do you have any pictures that you can, and will, post up there. I would like to see what you have done there.
Brian Barna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barna View Post
Pete,

Do you have any pictures that you can, and will, post up there. I would like to see what you have done there.
Here's a pic, and a how to...

I purchased the Sony head unit from Crutchfield around Y2K, and it came with a dash install kit, made by Metra. The Metra kit included a pocket or a cheesy looking blank panel to fill in the extra DIN slot under the stereo, your choice of which to use. Since I wanted to use the space for gauges, I cut some AL stock to match the size of the blank panel front, then epoxied it on to it. By itself, the blank plastic panel would not be sturdy enough to hold the gauges, especially after the holes were drilled, hence the AL. You can fit your choice of 3 standard 52mm gauges in that space, but it is pretty tight fit as you can see. After carefully marking the hole centers & drilling holes (I used a 2" hole saw, then a Dremel grinder bit to finish the job), I spray painted it with some black paint (Dupli color, the same "Brilliant Black" paint code as my car). Once done, the plastic/AL panel snaps right in place with a few tabs holding it in place in the Metra "frame".

Pete
'89T2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0698.jpg (161.2 KB, 7 views)
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote