Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Fabrication

Fabrication Show off the parts that you've built from scratch or highly modified

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough
Default TitaniumTT's from scratch Track Trailer

Soooooo I figure I'll post this up as a few members here have helped with the design of it, and they've been asking for progress pics. I do need to get some more pics taken as the thing is rolling, although it's not completely finished yet.... hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have the time.... Any who, this will probably take a few days to get the whole thread up.

All of the tubing used is 2"x2"x.125" 6061 AL, the round tube is 2"x.125" 6061. The gussets I believe are 5052... not entirely sure actually

This is the basic design layout. From the back of the round tube to the front of the square tube is 53", the outside to outside dimension is 53" as well. I based these dimensions on the tires I was planning on buying, and some that are larger for when.... or IFF I ever get the FD done and start taking that to the track as well.

Without a perfectly level and true surface to weld on, I had to improvise. The though was, if I start making the side completely square, and tack them together, then when everything comes together, it will also be perfectly square. It actually worked out. I honestly cannot measure the trailer out of square. It is literally perfect... I was shocked.

So here is the first side. The square tubing on top keeps them on the same plane.

That would be the leg of my engine hoist It was the only piece that I had around that was long enough to make the spread. Made sure everything was square before welding it all together

There's the tongue. I guessed at how long it would be, and then added a little bit because it's always easier to take metal away than add it

Welded everything in place and kept checking for square at every step of the way.

All the jigs removed and rechecked.... weeeeee!!!! still square!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst1.jpg (138.5 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst2.jpg (159.9 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst3.jpg (157.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst4.jpg (135.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst5.jpg (151.4 KB, 304 views)

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

From the back..... that piece on the right all by itself is going to mark the back of the box that I will use to haul tools, jacks, stands, chairs, food, etc etc etc...... Then there will be 10gals of fuel, and of course the tires. One of the keys to TIG welding is to keep things as tight as possible. That piece is held in by tension. However, I have also found that what you need to do before welding a piece like that in place is leave the last little bead open, or drill a small hole in the tube. As you weld, obviously shit gets hot, shit expands the air inside, and you go for that last little piece of weld and the escaping air blows the AL all over the place including up the torch.

Supports for the tongue, all jigged up, notice the square tubing keeping everything on the same plane

Here is where I started getting a little out of control with the gusseting. It started with this little piece underneath the tongue where there isn't a piece running side to side. I figured this would be a good joint to strengthen as it's about dead center in the trailer, and the box will sit right there, and right there inside the box is going to be a heavy series 24 Deep Cycle battery.... so that's where it started

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst6.jpg (90.0 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst7.jpg (169.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst8.jpg (148.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst9.jpg (146.0 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst10.jpg (149.7 KB, 297 views)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

And this is where it started getting a little out of control......

I started with a .125" piece of 5052 (I think) and cut it into a gusset.

Then I looked over at the dimple die set that I had bought 3 months prior for a project that didn't materialize and decided it was time to start playing around with it.

Start by cutting out the appropriate size hole

Then press, weld, and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and take a picture

It might be a little overkill, but I don't care, it had to look symetrical.

I also had a bunch of 3031 perforated AL left over from my hood project. I knew I wanted to carry a bunch of fuel with me to the track in 5 gal Jerry Jugs, a solid floor would collect a bunch of shit, so this stuff was perfect. Welding .050 perforated AL to .125" 5052 is a BIOTCH!!!!!!! but the look is alot cleaner than using rivets.

I didn't think it would have been strong enough, and honestly it might not have been, but I decided to hold off on reenforcing that until another time. As it turned out, when I started positioning the axle, I didn't need to. The axle tube fits flush underneath the flooring and center in the tanks. Got lucky there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst11.jpg (96.7 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst12.jpg (108.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst13.jpg (137.0 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst14.jpg (124.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst15.jpg (143.3 KB, 289 views)

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 09-28-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Enkie 18" RPF1's and Hoosier R6 in a 245/35/18 front and a 275/35/18 rear... yum.... and sticky

Here you can start to see the general layout and what I was going for. Box in the front for everything you could possibly need (and it seems everytime I go to the track, the list get's longer) including a charged battery, 10 gallons worth of fuel, and of course the tires.

It took a while to find a box that would fit where I wanted it too. Then it took a while to figure out how far to spread the round tubes to get the tires at the right hieght, then it took me getting lucky to already have access to a pair of jugs that were at the right height. At the end of the day, it was my OCD that lead to me having everything at the same height on the same plane, yes I am that guy.

More pics to come, it's time for bed now. Like I said, the thing actually moves and I've used it a few times, BUT, there are always things to do to make these little toys better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst16.jpg (143.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst17.jpg (176.3 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst18.jpg (187.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst19.jpg (169.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst20.jpg (136.1 KB, 291 views)

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road

Very nice Brian! Are you going to pull that to events with the FC? I meant to catch you at DGRR to show you the hitch I have (I believe you were the one that asked about it before). I'm anxious to see the final result and what wheels you are using.
1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Thats pretty bad ass!!!

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Always gotta do it the hard way...
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
JhnRX7
Rotary Fanatic

JhnRX7 is on a distinguished road

I need one of those.... but it has to be big enough to fit an entire FD I already got the tow vehicle.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road

more robot welds i see..... -_- haha
'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Zach View Post
Very nice Brian! Are you going to pull that to events with the FC? I meant to catch you at DGRR to show you the hitch I have (I believe you were the one that asked about it before). I'm anxious to see the final result and what wheels you are using.
Thanks Zach! Yup, already used the thing to haul a set of tires and a tranny out to PA, then loaded it up with all the goodies and hauled it to LRP for an event up there. The thing pulls really nice, it's light enough that you don't really know it's back there... all total, fully loaded I calculated it weighs about 485lbs sans the trailer tires. I figure total weight to be 530ish? I need to get it to the dump and put it on the scales to really get a good weight, they're accurate to within 20lbs, it'll be neat to see. Hell, I caught myself doing 80mph with it a few times. Bearings got a little warm becuase the only wheels/tires I could get were some little 8" ers, need to change that.

Yup, that was me asking about the hitch. I actually ended up building one of those from scratch as well Used the rear tow points as a tempate and went from there. All .25" steel and 10 bolts holding it together. To take it off all I need is my Makita impact driver and about 45seconds.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pics of the hitch that you built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herblenny View Post
Thats pretty bad ass!!!
Thanks Phil! I'm pretty sure I'll be towing it down to DGRR next year.... or someone will anyway

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5ABaby View Post
Always gotta do it the hard way...
What you talking about? What's the easy way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnRX7 View Post

I need one of those.... but it has to be big enough to fit an entire FD I already got the tow vehicle.
I thought about buying a Trailex trailer, but they're a little too pricey for what they are. Then I thought about buying an old car trailer, but you can't find those for what I would consider a reasonable price either and they're fricken heavy. My Jeep will tow 5-6000 lbs so I could tow the car, infact, I have many times, but it puts a big strain on it being right at the limit. The Trailex would be the way to go, but too damn pricey, I would build my own if I could come up with a set of engineered and approved plans, but I couldn't find those either, plus this was a little more fun and cheaper too. $273 for the material, $250 for the Axle, $400 for the box, and then $140 at West marine for the coupler and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
more robot welds i see..... -_- haha
That's what happens when you work way too late..... it's all rhythm and no thought

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Force13b
cxxxx|::::::::::::>

Force13b is on a distinguished road

Nice white Volkswagen fgt
Force13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Not mine, good friends that we built a kayak rack for.... also owns that white landi... he's got a thing for white diesels...... did you get permission to make that post? I do like how your language has gotten better since saturday

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
one320fc
one Apex @ a time

one320fc is on a distinguished road

Do you like showing off those BBS wheels ?? they are in almost every picture in a different position then the picture before
2013 Chrysler 200 DD
2009 Dodge Journey
94 Volvo 850 N/A The slowest car I have EVER owned!!!
one320fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

That looks like ass......

Glorious ass.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote