Go Back   Rotary Car Club > All thing Racing! > Track JUNKY!

Track JUNKY! Road course oriented tech forum.. Talk about suspension set up, Track info, brake set up, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Warui Shujin
The Newbie

Warui Shujin is on a distinguished road
Default Shifting without syncros

This isn't exactly a track question, but there wasn't a general automotive question area.. So I thought this would be the place to ask.

A while back, I bought a 62 international firetruck. It never had any syncros to begin with, so I can't really do anything about them. I learned how to upshift fairly easily, but I am almost always grinding on the downshifting. Is there anything I can do to improve my record on this? or do I just need to start daily driving it until I have enough practice to rev match all of the gears?

Any tips or hints on how to do so, or learn without killing the transmission would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Warui Shujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

you're talking about a diesel truck tranny right?
to downshift, i just push on the stick and rev it until it falls into gear. i've never had a diesel trans grind, and i never use the clutch to shift (up or down).
im pretty sure you pushing on the stick wont mess up the trans. they're built beefy.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Warui Shujin
The Newbie

Thanks for the help!

It's not a diesel, it's some huge ass gas engine. I don't know the size because I've been to lazy to look it up on the parts list I got with the truck. It does use two starters though. Don't know if that makes a difference.

The tranny does seem fairly tough, and it only has 19000 miles on it.. so it should be pretty unworn. I'll try out your suggested method tomorrow. It'll be fun to take it for a drive anyway.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

it most likely has strait cut gears, which dont need synchros cuz theyre so much stronger. same stuff in race cars and bikes. just jam it in there, it'll be fine. rev matching will make it smooth, but i seriously doubt your weak human arm can mess that thing up.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
jgrewe
Rotary Fan in Training

jgrewe is on a distinguished road

It will just take getting to know what gear you should be aiming for at what road speed. You don't have a jake brake so you don't need to go down through every gear. Just figure out what you need to come out of a corner.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Kentetsu
RCC Contributor

Kentetsu is on a distinguished road

What about double clutching? Wasn't that technique intended for use with these types of trannys?
Kentetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
jgrewe
Rotary Fan in Training

jgrewe is on a distinguished road

It helps but its expensive to change a clutch so you try not to do any slipping of it at all. In the big trucks that I've owned(2 Macks, a Sterling and a Peterbilt) we only used the clutches to get rolling. You should be able to get the truck moving without even touching the throttle. After that its all matching revs and only touch the clutch when you stop.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Warui Shujin
The Newbie

I appreciate the info! And it is fairly easy to get it started without touching the throttle if it's on level ground you can probably pop the clutch and it won't want to die. I've gotten better at the whole shifting thing, now to do it without using the clutch!