Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > Mazmart

Mazmart www.mazmart.com (GA) RX-7 & RX-8 engine builds, stock/custom parts, home of Rick Engman

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road
Default My mazmart pump is cooked

After a season's use of street/fooling around/dyno activity (no track days last year) my pump has started pissing coolant out the impellar shaft.

What do I do? Is there any kind of warranty on that pump? Never had a stock one go out like this.

Pulley setup is all stock, crank, waterpump, alternator...only addition is a pineapple idler pulley..........belt tension seems fine.

Thoughts?

classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Boosted FC
Rotary & Boost Addict

Boosted FC is on a distinguished road

Email me at sheldon@mazmart.com. Make sure that the name that the pump was purchased under is in that Email. As soon as I get the Email, I will see what we can do for you. Thanks.

-Sheldon.

'05 Copper 6s, '87 TII RX7...248whp & 224wtq @ 12lbs
Boosted FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Haven't got an email back in a while, wondering whats up?

Lots of options for helping me out on this. I realize the pump may be out of warranty (and likely was before the car even ran) but its still pretty bad that in one seasons use the pump is leaking. And in all fairness, was probably leaking in only one month or so, I just didn't realize where the leak was coming from and at the time it was tiny.

Can I send it back and have it gone over for a fee or something? Not looking for a freebie here - just want to be taken care of.

Last edited by classicauto; 04-23-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Pic of the housing. Some scratches and things that look like hotspots. This housing was 100% OEM when the pump was installed as I had to purchase the housing and pump together from Mazmart.

Here you can see the pump when it was removed from the engine. Apr. 13/2010. The coolant stream is coming off the impellar shaft, down the pump body. When the engine ran and you held it at ~3K you could see a steady stream of coolant splashing off the pulley and running down the pump.

I don't expect much more help from you guys. I have to say I'm very disappointed that you would leave a pleased customer to stew with an obviously freak issue and not even offer so much as a light discount on a replacement that I'd be more then willing to pay for. You guys have been around for long time and make some nice products but I have to tell you that my good graces are now over. I don't want another pump. And anyone who ever asks me about this is going to get the straight story:

I bought the pump & housing assembly (~$500CDN). Had it for a few months while completing the build. Ran it for a season (apr-sept) and the pump was leaking during that period even though I didn't attribute the leak to the pump at that point. The next season when I fired it up and found that the pump was the cause of my leak the last year I was left hanging with a dead pump and no help from Mazmart.

If I was running this company, I'd be interested to see the pump in question out of pure curiosity given the fact that (apparently) this is one of very few failures and I'd personally like to figure out why. But that's just me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (137.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (71.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by classicauto; 04-30-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

leaking out the shaft is pretty odd. Isn't that what the weep hole is for? to not ruin the bearings and give the coolant a place to go/ warn of impending damage?

Sorry to hear this Joe. Most people wouldn't wait this long and be patient about a response before posting something about a company and I applaude you for that. This sounds sincere and hopefully they will respond and be willing to work with you.

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD

Last edited by FerociousP; 04-30-2010 at 09:15 AM..
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Joe,

Far as I know, what Mazmart does with their pump is get a new one from Mazda and changes out the propeller. I know Mazmart doesn't change out the propeller on use pumps at all... mainly because issues like this might arise and they don't want to deal with it. My guess is that if you bought a new pump from Mazda, they might change out the propellers from bad one to the new one. I think that's a good deed from mazmart, but I can't speak for them

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
afgmoto1978
Rotary Fanatic

afgmoto1978 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue, worked out a deal where I returned the leaking unit in exchange for a new one at half price. Hopefully they were able to recycle to CNC'd propeller.
afgmoto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Boosted FC
Rotary & Boost Addict

Hi Joe, I have finally found your order. We had difficulty locating it as the name was different and so was the purchase date. It was July 2008. We will be more than happy to care of you with a discounted price. Thanks.

-Sheldon.

Last edited by Boosted FC; 04-30-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
3RotorMotor
Rotary Fan in Training

3RotorMotor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgmoto1978 View Post
I had the same issue, worked out a deal where I returned the leaking unit in exchange for a new one at half price. Hopefully they were able to recycle to CNC'd propeller.
uh oh i just got mine last month. its going to be at LEAST a year before my car is running. To mean the bearing/seal feels like its got more initial freeplay, but also harder to turn compared to the new stock pump i have sitting in front of me. this makes me a little nervous hearing the failures out there (and I don't think there are that many floating around that this would be a 1/500 problem). Considering the cost, and the fact that I had to purchase a brand new pump housing w/ it (they won't rebuild a used one even though mazda does and theirs don't leak) I'm feeling a little uneasy putting this on my 20b. If I'm not confident with this thing I'll put it up for sale and dig back out my 20b waterpump and housing.

Any idea what the cause of the failures are? if this was a $200 part i wouldn't care but it was much more than that Also, why can't a stock pump be rebuilt with the new prop shaft?

-Heath
3RotorMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

FWIW, at least they're doing SOMETHING for me at this point.

I intend to take you guys up on your offer, I've just been very busy and money's tight at the moment....I should have the pump order in a couple weeks. I'll be in touch.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Boosted FC
Rotary & Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicauto View Post
FWIW, at least they're doing SOMETHING for me at this point.

I intend to take you guys up on your offer, I've just been very busy and money's tight at the moment....I should have the pump order in a couple weeks. I'll be in touch.
Absolutely no problem.

-Sheldon.