Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Drifting

Drifting All things sideways

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough
Default Drifting, hellaflush, slammed, tire stretch blog/bash thread.

This thread is here for one reason and one reason only....... So the people who want to argue, CAN ARGUE! Do/say whatever you want in this thread, but do it in this thread ONLY!! Venturing out to other parts of the forum for the sole purpose of argueing will result in time outs. Lounge rules apply here. Call each other names, bash each other to high holy hell it's all fair game. If you get butt-hurt easily, I suggest you stay away because I will ONLY take action regarding a post if it breaks the following rules. Racial comments, attacks on the staff, and attacks on the forum will NOT be tolerated and will result in a Perma-Ban.

So, now that we are all in understanding.... let the games begin.

Allow me to start it off......

Those wheels don't fit in the front.... periord. The reason they don't fit in the front is becuase you have to run the wrong size tire to make them fit. Therefore the package doesn't fit properly. Put that rim in the rear with the right size tire on it. The right size being a 255 or BIGGER. I run 17x8 +35 F with a 235 tire and the tire is too small IMO.

And even a pull wouldn't get that to fit. You would need to run overfenders and cut ALOT of sheetmetal out to make it fit properly.

And even putting that 17x9+25 with a 255 in the rear would be DAMN close. I run a 17x9+35 with a 255 in the rear and when I FULLY compress the suspension it BARELY clears without a roll. I plan on running 275 in the rear next year and they WILL hit with that offset, but in reality, with the suspension I have, it SHOULDN'T touch.

The way to check to see if something actually fits is to remove the spring and fully compress and fully extend the suspension. If there is no contact, thedn it fits.

This is fact, not to be debated. There are cheats and shortcuts I will admit. But to say that wheel fits in the front is WRONG

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 12-28-2010 at 07:10 PM..
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough
Default The Slide or die, hyde yer daughters, hellaflush, stretch - drifting blog/bash thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iani1.1
oh no another tire stretching hater lol. im not gonna waste my time explaining it. all i gotta say is i drift and it helps alot with initiating and keeping the slide cause im still na at the moment. til i go v8 i have to have stretched tires

but i agree they wont fit with the stock fender unless you stretch or get overfenders. the panspeed knock off over fenders from corksport are pretty damn cheap or if you want something that looks close to stock i suggest the forsight 30mm fenders from shineauto.

It's a waste of time arguing with these idiots.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 12-28-2010 at 07:10 PM..
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
iani1.1
brap brap

iani1.1 is on a distinguished road

ok then, explain to me why stretching tires are dysfunctional with hard evidence.
iani1.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
TehMonkay
Rotary Fanatic

TehMonkay is on a distinguished road

If you like stretched tires sell your FC and go buy a fucking volkswagen

end of discussion

If you'rer drifting NA and need help breaking traction in the rear put some azenis in the front and kumho ecsta ASTs in the rear, over inflate them and toe out 1/8" and make sure you have 0 negative camber, I know I know, it doesn't look cool, right?

The loss of stength from the sidewall being stretched is NOT helping you drift.

Last edited by TehMonkay; 11-19-2010 at 04:10 PM..
TehMonkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iani1.1 View Post
yes you both are correct if your talking about road racing, autoX, etc. but the point i was trying to get at is drifting you need stretched tires on a very underpowered vehicle or else its nearly impossible to keep the tires spinning. its the opposite of both your equation. less contact less traction = easier to slide.

also i can care less about "automotive performance" been there done that. it just shows a how big you think your penis is and the only people who understands are usually dudes. sad but true. pretty homo? yes. just accept it.

now, im sorry if you guys took it the wrong way but there's no need to judge people just because you think one thing is idiotic. try drifting an na, youll know what i mean. im straying off the subject so ill just end it here.
(I'm going to ignore your poor attempt at trying to insult me and address your short sightedness directly.)

You're so tunnel-visioned about hippari stretch tires that you fail to see the big picture.

WE had no problems running proper tire fitments on our FC drift project.
Fronts were 225/50/16 (A032R) on 8" wide rims.
Rears were anything from 205 wide tires on 7" wide wheels to 225 - 245 wide tires on 8" wide wheels.
We had NO problem drifting the FC.

http://fc3spro.com/PROJECTS/SKY/20B/sky20b.html

Vid link is at the bottom.

Underpowered vehicles have no problem sliding, as long as you know what you are doing.
We regularly have a lot of "underpowered" AE86's on the track.
If you knew what you were doing, you use vehicle speed to get the car to go sideways.
It has nothing to do with the tires or the tire set-up.
A GOOD DRIVER can get any underpowered vehicle to slide regardless of the tire combination.
Beginning drifters (LIKE YOU) insist on having a specific tire set-up - poor traction in the back, so you can kick the back out easier.
This just means you don't have the BALLS to go into a corner fast enough to kick the rear out like the real drivers do and rely on poor traction in the rear to get the back end to slide out first.
This means you're relying on the fronts to keep traction - this means you're still a rookie.
Good drifters do 4 WHEEL DRIFTS where all 4 tires are sliding.
A good drifter would insist on good traction (i.e. tires) in all 4 corners to properly drift.
(Why is this point important?)
Because it's the same set-up that grip drivers do...good traction in all 4 corners.

This is not drift versus grip.
This is about you not understanding what you are talking about and insisting you are right.

There are other ways to decrease traction on tires.
One obvious way is to use cheap ass tires.
Yes, hippari stretch is another way.
Yet another way is to change the tire pressures.
Yet another way is to change or disconnect sway bars.

Be careful of what you say, cause you have no idea who you are talking to on the other side of the computer.
You see how ignorant you sound now?

-Ted

Quote:

Last edited by RETed; 11-20-2010 at 02:58 AM..
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
iani1.1
brap brap

i am aware of all those things hell i pretty much go by this http://fc3spro.com/TECH/DRIFT/dori.html. which i believe you wrote a little bit ago.

as you stated "Also, wider rear tires usually makes it more tricky to throttle control due to more rubber." now since im using a 4port engine (t2 deturboed) for extra reliability, my power is waay down and not to mention torque. also as i have stated previously i have to have stretched tires to spin the 17x10 w/ federal 595 225 series tires at the rear. i should be using a smaller diameter wheel but it just looks funky

now til i blow up this engine then go v8 then ill choose to run non stretched tires but til then ill work with what i have.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

As far as tire stretching goes I will simply say impractical for a street vehicle IMO. Why sacrifice real performance for this appearance or to be able to slide an underpowered car? Stretching a tire beyond it's limits is unsafe, a lot of tire shops will not do this for that reason alone. The fact that you would be raising the wear on suspension pieces, wheel bearings & the tires themselves is a reason in itself not to follow this style. I have to agree that if you can't fit a wheel with the tire manufactures suggested sizes, then it's not correct. Running a 215/45-17 on a 17"x10" wheels, with the rim exposed is asking for trouble. This just my view, so if tire stretching is your thing fine just don't impose this trend on others as being the right way to fit wheels & tires.
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
i am aware of all those things hell i pretty much go by this http://fc3spro.com/TECH/DRIFT/dori.html. which i believe you wrote a little bit ago.

as you stated "Also, wider rear tires usually makes it more tricky to throttle control due to more rubber." now since im using a 4port engine (t2 deturboed) for extra reliability, my power is waay down and not to mention torque. also as i have stated previously i have to have stretched tires to spin the 17x10 w/ federal 595 225 series tires at the rear. i should be using a smaller diameter wheel but it just looks funky

now til i blow up this engine then go v8 then ill choose to run non stretched tires but til then ill work with what i have.

So basically you're insisting to run "big" wheels (which are heavier than properly sized wheels) and then run smaller tires just to get the proper (less) traction?

So you're basically doing it just for looks?

-Ted

Quote:
Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
So basically you're insisting to run "big" wheels (which are heavier than properly sized wheels) and then run smaller tires just to get the proper (less) traction?

-Ted
This is honestly the real answer, instead of all that BS they try to feed you over on the other forum. It all boils down to looks, because most of the fools claim it's for drifting & they don't even drift!
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
iani1.1
brap brap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorDad View Post
As far as tire stretching goes I will simply say impractical for a street vehicle IMO. Why sacrifice real performance for this appearance or to be able to slide an underpowered car? Stretching a tire beyond it's limits is unsafe, a lot of tire shops will not do this for that reason alone. The fact that you would be raising the wear on suspension pieces, wheel bearings & the tires themselves is a reason in itself not to follow this style. I have to agree that if you can't fit a wheel with the tire manufactures suggested sizes, then it's not correct. Running a 215/45-17 on a 17"x10" wheels, with the rim exposed is asking for trouble. This just my view, so if tire stretching is your thing fine just don't impose this trend on others as being the right way to fit wheels & tires.
Quote:

-Ted
i totally agree that tire stretching is impractical for street driving, i mean your talking about pot holes, construction zones etc. which can cause the tire to debead in some cases.

also i dont drift for the competition i drift for the fun of it and making the car look cool while its in motion simple as that, atleast for now. though at the same time dialing in suspension and still learning the car. i came from a s13 which is a really easy car to drift then went to an fc which is totally different and much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMonkay View Post
you could just run lightweight 17x7.5 or 8 wheels.
hm, i might just give that some thought.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Ted

YES, YES, YES! I think the whole point of amateur drifting is honestly to look cool... People get into it because it looks cool. If you drift, you are considered cool. When you build your car for drifting, people often say that it looks cool.

To people in the drift scene, it makes sense to run bigger wheels and less tires to get the same traction as smaller wheels and normal tires because it makes the car stand out more. What drifters like is to get noticed, and be given compliments on their car/driving/personal style.... some will deny this, but I'll openly admit that what people think, and their complements make me feel good about myself.

Of course, there is the driving aspect of it, the "rebel" aspect of it, and a lot of other stuff that goes behind it all.

The whole reason drifting took off was because it was "cool", which to young people, along with having fun, is all that really matters.

In the end, I hope this post at least helps people understand the MENTALITY of stretching tires, and drift wheel fitment from a different stand point.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
iani1.1
brap brap

your XJ? really? dude dont throw cars around this argument and quit changing the damn subject. the wheels fit. as i have said before cheap or expensive coilovers will not let your suspension travel far enough to bottom out.

also its a simple yes or no question i asked. "so what youre saying is people should drive like theyre at a autoX event?" and you go throwing your suspension settings and techniques.

removing the rear sway bar makes the car less "snappy" when it exits the corner. makes the car a little more controllable rather than having the car whip back in to position.

i understand your type of motor sports. here's an example
makes dicks hard due to "performance"

makes pussy's wet cause shit looks ill

simple as that. now if you have a better explanation feel free to throw it out there. THE WHEELS FIT.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
removing the rear sway bar makes the car less "snappy" when it exits the corner. makes the car a little more controllable rather than having the car whip back in to position.
*bzzzt*
Wrong...

Next contestant...

-Ted

Quote:
Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i understand your type of motor sports. here's an example
makes dicks hard due to "performance"

makes pussy's wet cause shit looks ill

Holy fawk you are hopeless BOY.

1: You're a JTP fan boi. The only pussy getting wet looking at that car is yours.

2: The wheels DO NOT fit because you need to run improper width tires for the rims. Earlier you asked how stretching tires could possibly be bad. If you have to ask that question you've obviously never paid attention to a tire manufacturer's recommended sizing chart. And no - the chart is not what the "think" works, its based on road force testing to the speed rating of the tires, and running too narrow or too wide can cause a variety of issues.

3: This is not about X vs Y or someone's opinion on what looks good or makes fan boi pussy wet. This is about will the wheel fit with no stretch and the answer is that it won't.

4: If you don't understand the reason to check suspension travel for wheel clearance then well.......that illustrates your lack of understanding. When you installed the knuckles from you idol JTP - did you check clearance from lock to lock? You probably did because you're probably going to use the extended travel.................if you ever plan on hitting any bumps in the road (and aren't running 15K springs like the rest of the fanbois) you will use your full suspension travel - or at least more then you will if you simply drop your coils for cool pictars to wet other fan boy va jay jays.

5: I love drifting. Its alot of fun. Whats not fun is being a mindless follower. You can admit that the wheels don't fit now. And no - I'm not a mindless follower by jumping on the myriad of people disagreeing with you - I'm MINDFUL because I know the wheels the OP is asking about do not fit a stock bodied FC without a slew of modifcations and stretched tires. End of discussion.

Thank you come again!
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Chance
You all know nothing.

Chance is on a distinguished road

I heard there is some asshole bitching over nothing

Bitch about this, 18x9 -5 235/40, 18x10 +0 245/40

And 18x9 -5 225/35, 18x9.5 -5 235/40

Now go ahead and bitch about how my wheels "don't fit" when the fenders aren't pulled much at all.

When you are done with that, go ahead and complain about how not proper my other car is. 18x11 -10 235/35, 18x12 -10 265/35

Keep in mind my car works better than yours ever will.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote