Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Rx-7fetish
Blue Blur

Rx-7fetish is on a distinguished road
Default New ride, first carb!

So I scored a free 83 from my buddies uncle a year or so ago and have finally got to fixin it up. I'm in no way new to rotaries as you can see in the back of one of these pics, just got out of it for a few years when I blew the motor in my daily 86 sport coupe. But this is the first rotary with a carb I've worked on lol

Anyways on with the questions!!!

What's the stock cfm on a 12a's carb? This cars carb is shot. I could rebuild it or I've also got a racing beat holley pattern intake that came with a box of parts with one of my other cars, I would rather buy a new carb.

I'm not trying to go crazy with it I just want something close to stock cfm.
Trying to decide which route to go. I'm not opposed to rebuilding a stock carb as I have a few, I'm just lazy I don't want to if I can go with a new carb.

Rx-7fetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
mystery
Rotary Fan in Training

mystery is on a distinguished road

i have an 85 i been workn on and ive attempted the rebuild of the carb myself with the help of someone more knowledgable with em but weve broken the carb down 7 times now and i still got no idle. my advice is to tryn rebuild what you got and if it wont work then cheapest reman one ive found has been $265 bench tested outta the box. i know the rebuild kits down here run $35 and its been hell finding another carb without spending $350+
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

stock cfm is around 305. I would say stay with the stock Nikki if yours is in decent shape and you're not going to be going wild with porting etc. They're a really good carburetor, biggest problem is wear and tear, as they are getting pretty old and most have a lot of miles of use on them. As with most carburetors wear around the throttle shafts is one of the biggest killers as it is hard to fix. Seals and such are easy enough with a rebuild kit. Jetting and full throttle fuel enrichment are quite a bit different for the rotary, so any old off the shelf carburetor won't work very well without a fair amount of modifications.

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Rx-7fetish
Blue Blur

Nope, no crazy engine mods, just the original 12a in the car, I can't even remember how many miles are on it lol. I can get her idling and slowly moving with the carb on it now and no overheating problems but the secondary butterflies are rusted or corroded stuck and the carb leaks.

Is there some kind of secret handshake I don't know that's required to get the bolt off the inside corner towards the middle of the car and closest to windshield from this carb??? I would very much prefer not to pull the whole intake..
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
mystery
Rotary Fan in Training

mystery is on a distinguished road

should be a 12 mm open box what im able to get mine with.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Rx-7fetish
Blue Blur

I can't get a good angle at the back nut towards the center of the car. It's driving me nuts and I REALLY don't want to pull the whole intake.