Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
SpooledupRacing

Default S4 dash removal

OK how do I remove the dash on my S4 n/a I have been told it is easy and there is not alot of bolts/screws to remove I just figured if anyone could tell me where it would minimize my time out in the cold in doing so lol..

THX guys.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
FortyfiveD
Amudextrious

FortyfiveD is on a distinguished road

I've never taken the S4 one out but if its anything like the S5 then two on the steering column, two to four on the transmission housing, two on the far sides of the dash, three near the windshield (lift up the panel), then two under the center console. Those are all the ones that I know of however I don't know if that's any less than you were hoping for.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
SpooledupRacing

lol thats fine I have the ones on the center console out. so tonight I will lay under it and see how many I can find underneath.

atleast the rest of the interior is out so I can lay down comfortably..

are these all phillips screws or some with bolts?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

For S4 you have two bolts on each side of the dash. Think where the connect to the door vents. You have one screw inbetween the demister grills (I can't remember if it's necessary to remove it, but I think it is--better to play it safe). You have two on either side of the transmission housing. I believe two that connect to the center console. If you've already removed the gauge cluster I think you should be good to go. Just pop it out. (I'm doing this all from memory, but it would probably be wiser to consult the FSM)
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
SpooledupRacing

yeah I may have to get the fsm..

when I remove the cluster is there any issus with the spedometer cable I may run into either with pulling it out or with installing it back in?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

not really. The speedo cable is pretty easy to put in. Just don't try to get at it through the dash. Remove the gauge cluster before you take out the dash. This means you might want to remove the steering wheel in case you were wondering.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
SpooledupRacing

steering wheel has been out of the car for some time (quick removal spirit R wheel).

I will dig into it more tonight. pics when it is out.