Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road
Default Poke and stretch..the way of the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
...just please for the love of GOD don't stretch and poke the 7!
Ok, first of all, this bugs me. Phoenix, you're a good guy, but you need to stop telling people what to do.

I know you might not like something, but don't go dis-owning a fellow rotary guy just because of something like that. you can complain,but dont try to force your opinion onto others because you dont understand or dissagre with someone's style. As a new member, I dont want someone to feel pressured into doing or not doing certain modifications just because they feel their club wont approve... this happens on a lot of forums, and I don't want this one to end up like that.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-24-2010 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: relevancy
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

max...I believe I PLEADED for him to not fuck up his car by doing the current attention-whore fad...That hardly qualifies as telling him what to do or disowning him. Take a step back and don't be so defensive. If you do things in search of approval then you're doing it wrong. If you do it cuz you like it then you really shouldn't care what I or the "rest of the club" (as you claim) approves of or not. Just keep in mind that most people here are trying to get away from the plague known as the Rx7club.

Edit: please don't tell me you're doing the damn stretch and poke BS fad!???!!
`

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-23-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Max777
Pirate

it's my car... and I cant afford anything close to hellaflush shit.... haha, so no, but I wanna, damnit.

And you just cant lie to yourself that this is NOT good wheel fitment:

Last edited by Max777; 07-23-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

lol, I'd be lying if I say it looks nice. I love the wheels but the stretch and poke is nasty...Needs more tire to fix the extra lip on the wheels...isn't that the East Coast guy that ripped his bumper off while driving on the streets? Funniest thing though: the Japanese tuners begand doing stretch and poke because they couldn't afford tires (as often as needed too since they were shredding them constantly) and here you are saying that's why you're doing it!!

I hate the current stretch and poke fad.

Stretch and poke =

Also, if you want to continue the argument make a new thread so we don't derail this guy's INTRO thread.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-23-2010 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Max777
Pirate

Are my eyes weird or what for liking curved sidewalls on tires more than box sidewalls?

I dunno, a long time ago, I saw a civic that had streched tires and flush wheels. It looked wrong, unnatural, and like the guy fitted really shitty rims on his car.... a long time passed, and the longer I looked at cars, the more I noticed that cars I used to like actually had terrible wheel fitment and looked like shit now.

The thing is, sure it may be a fad right now, but "tusda-ichi" happened a long time ago in Japan, as well as European countries like Germany, where the tire tread has to be within the stock fenders for the car to be street legal. Also, there ARE quite a few ugly ass hellaflush cars, but when it's done right, you know it when you see it, you just gotta re-train your eyes a bit to see things in a different light.

I'm not for doing crazy impossible fitment, but some spacers, fender rolling, and lower ride height will make ANY newer passenger car looks 1,000,000 times better than stock.

Today, I took tires off a stock 17x7 rim (215-45-17) and put them on a 17x8 rim. On the 8" wheel, the sidwall had some babystretch going on, and compared to how the profile of the same tire on the slimmer wheel looks, I think the stretched look is sexy as hell.

It depends on what brand/size/style of tires you stretch and by how much, but if you do it right, I don't see a reason to bitch about it?????

and, no, that's a midwest guy who's also Russian and drives an FC and loves drifting. It's like we're long lost brothers or something.

Yes, there are two of us in the same state, how awesome is that?

EDIT: Have you looked at herblenny's FD recently? Even he's got a bit of stretch and poke going on, and his car looks great!

Last edited by Max777; 07-24-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

your eyes are fine...it's your brain.

Rims left totally exposed to curb rash damage
Tires distorted
higher inflation pressures to prevent excessive wear on the edges of the tread surface
Rough choppy ride due to higher inflation requirements
Threat of the tire coming off the bead if impacted

THe offsets on our wheels are chosen for these cars for a reason and I'm sure running hella low offsets isn't optimal for our cars (bearings, suspension...) since teh load is moved further OUTWARD.

THe stiffer sidewall doesn't allow for the tire to move as it would optimally and the side to side movement is passed on to the suspension and wears out the parts faster...

Sound like a great plan?? The whole point of owning a 7 is it's handling and most of the fad followers are ruining that from teh get-go.

Forget teh past...undersized tires on oversized wheels are the way of the future.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-24-2010 at 01:28 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Default Poke and stretch..the way of the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNLOP Co.
"RIM WIDTH"

Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.
If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement.
Quote:
Wider rims may offer some performance advantages over narrow rims. A wider rim increases the distance between the beads, which results in a straighter sidewall, which stiffens it. This results in quicker steering response and higher cornering forces.
Negatively, the straightened sidewall transmits more road shock to the wheel and suspension, placing greater stress on chassis and suspension parts and delivering a harsher ride. The straighter sidewall exposes the rim, making the wheel more susceptible to damage.
In the end it's your property and you're free to do as you please...kinda like beating your wife when she's out of line. Just don't expect anyone to approve of it even when other wife-beaters are egging you on.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-24-2010 at 01:30 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Max777
Pirate

Well, the argument is that it's not like you can legaly utilize 100% of your cars performance on the street anyway, so why not make it look good if you only drive it once a week or so?

Besides, I know plenty of people that are running simmilar setups and have NO problems at all with most of that except for excessive wear, but since a lot of these people also drift, it's not like tire life matters anyway.

I guess the whole stretch thing is for people that just want to enjoy their cars and dont take outright performance as seriously as some of the club racer types.

Oh, and I can you change the name of the thread? <_<
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
Well, the argument is that it's not like you can legaly utilize 100% of your cars performance on the street anyway, so why not make it look good if you only drive it once a week or so?
you're right...why don't they make it look good?

Quote:
Besides, I know plenty of people that are running simmilar setups and have NO problems at all with most of that except for excessive wear, but since a lot of these people also drift, it's not like tire life matters anyway.
If there is ONE problem then they can't have "no problems at all," right?

if it's a street car then tire life DOES matter...If it's a drift day then you're right, they're gonna destroy at least 3 sets of tires and the judges want you to "look good and pretty" while out on the drift course.

Quote:
I guess the whole stretch thing is for people that just want to enjoy their cars and dont take outright performance as seriously as some of the club racer types.

Oh, and I can you change the name of the thread? <_<
the whole point of RX7s is their performance under normal driving and under hard driving conditions...

WHat you SHOULD have said: "I guess the whole stretch and poke thing is for people who don't care about handling characteristics and would rather look good than anything else."

What would you like me to change the title to?

Oh here's my new sig for bimmerforums (FULL of stretch and poke people):

SOrry man, I know you like the new fad but it's too funny to me. I know others will chime in and argue some more but I think I've said all I wanted to say already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanceworks.jpg (45.6 KB, 365 views)

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-24-2010 at 01:07 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Also, are you SURE that's not the risky devil FC? I'm sure he messed up his kit because of the wheels/slam.

What are the specs on his wheels?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #11
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
Stretch and poke =
I'm sorry, all I can think about for this one is "POKE" LOL.

Max, I'm from Southern Illinois originally. Where are you specifically? I'll be home in October, but I have fat tires on my car so I'm not sure you would approve LOL.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I like this pic:

"Style" is subjective.
Expect CRITICISM when anything is subjective.
Do NOT argue you're doing it for performance.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #13
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

haha, that's NOT hella flush tho. Damn stanceworks bastards and drifters for ruining "hella flush."

Flush = tire and wheel are flush
Hella Flush = wheel, tire AND fender are all flush...not the retarded shit passing for "cool" these days.

The poke and stretch crowd in a few years...

Last edited by Phoenix7; 07-24-2010 at 03:15 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #14
Kentetsu
RCC Contributor

Kentetsu is on a distinguished road

lol... What ever happened to spinners anyway? I miss those bad! They were the most awesomest cool that there ever was.

'85 GS 12a + LSD/Sterling carb/Respeed coilovers/Respeed front swaybar/Respeed adj. rear spring perches/Illuminas/Bilsteins on rear

AutoX vids @ http://www.youtube.com/user/Kentetsu1
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #15
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

Man I hate this bullshit stance stuff thats going on. I also wish we could ban the term hella flush off this website. Keep that for the homo club I mean 7 club
Closed Thread