Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Old School Rotary (Pre-1979)

Old School Rotary (Pre-1979) Pre-1979 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
salserin69
The Newbie

salserin69 is on a distinguished road
Default Confused and need advise

I'm gettin a 74 Wagon all original, or as we say in the states all matching numbers from my brother that has too many toys and too many projects. I swapped him my 71 VW Squareback for his RX-4 wagon. My question is: Presently is automatic and I prefer manual. Should I sacrfice originality for preference ???

salserin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Really depends on what your expectations are for the car and how you intend to use it...

If you're just looking to keep it as a collector/show car/investment, it's usually best to keep it 100% original. The less restoration work you need to do to it, the better and the more it will be worth. That assumes the car is actually worth something to begin with as a collector piece. I don't know if it is, but '74 RX wagons are pretty rare in the states these days.

OTOH, if you value driving & enjoying the car, then go for the manual swap but strive to keep the look of the swap job as original as possible. Your VIN # may have came with an AT, but Mazda probably sold at least as many manual versions of the same wagon back in '74.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
salserin69
The Newbie

salserin69 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to keep everything else original as it also came with original A/C. I'm more for the joy of the ride with making many heads turn with envy.... LOL. Thanks!
salserin69 is offline   Reply With Quote