Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Old School Rotary (Pre-1979)

Old School Rotary (Pre-1979) Pre-1979 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough
Cool New project: 1976 Cosmo RX-5

Figured I might well get a jump on things, so this is what's going down. I am picking up a 1976 Mazda Cosmo (RX-5) this weekend. It is partially disassembled, body solid and everything is there. Including a bunch of NOS extras.

Right now here is a teaser of how it sits:

And here is a pic of how I would like it to end up:

I am gonna need some help

2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Last edited by djmtsu; 01-05-2011 at 12:55 PM..
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Prodigy will become famous soon enough

That will look great when shes done, are you going for the similar color of white, or another color all together...?

I will be subscribing to this thread

J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
There is no limit to my stubborness...... just ask any of my ex's

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

360 gamertag: Tichlis
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
djmtsu

I like my white Mazda's, so I might try to use the Crystal White Pearl that my Mazda3 had. Bright white with silver in the clear.

Stay tuned.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

NICE... nice find DJ. I want to do an old school rotary. After the FC, and the 'vert, and the FD, and the E46

What are your plans for powa!

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

You're a crazy bastard.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
djmtsu

Quote:
NICE... nice find DJ. I want to do an old school rotary. After the FC, and the 'vert, and the FD, and the E46

What are your plans for powa!
Ditch the vert and FD and move onto an old school! There is a guy down in North GA with a bunch of old schools for sale. One being an RX-4 with great body and interior with a locked motor. $800 I believe.

Anyway,

The car has a 12a in it that was installed by Mazda back in the early 80's. So no 13B 4 port twin dizzy. It also has the 'better' electronic dizzy in it. This is one of those 'ran when parked' deals. He said it really did run great when he started to take it apart to address some issues. He has put oil in it and turned it by hand a few times a year. So it might be able to be brought back to life.

First off however, I am dealing with the body work and interior. It really just needs a few small spots addresses and to the trim put back on. The interior is in great shape except for the dash. For now, I will get a dashmat until I can redo it myself.

Next, I am addressing the suspension and brakes. I am under the impression that 84-85 from strut/spindle assemblies will bolt in, and give me many more options. From there I can get the RE-Speed FC brake kit. The rear end is where I am in the dark. I know it has factory disc in the rear, but uses a drum inside the rotor for parking brakes. This is not ideal. If I can get an FB rear end under it, I can again go with RE-Speed 5 lug axles and big brakes. From there, a nice set of 15's will be sourced (old school, or meshies).

From there, its power time. If the 12a is healthy, it will get a Weber carb and manifold, direct fire ignition, custom catback, radiator with e-fans and an FD alternator upgrade.

Right now I am debating on whether to keep the chrome bits chrome, or powder coat them black instead.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
There is a guy down in North GA with a bunch of old schools for sale. One being an RX-4 with great body and interior with a locked motor. $800 I believe.
I hate you.... I hate you SOOOOO much right now... I've got 2 13B cores in my garage just waiting to be torn down. Both with water seal failures.... I hate you...

Quote:
Ditch the vert and FD and move onto an old school!
I can't, they're both in my driveway. And per code I'm only allowed to have two unregistered cars on property at any one time. So I'd have to hurry and finish the 'vert, tag it, then move on to old school.... did I mention I hate you

Quote:
The car has a 12a in it that was installed by Mazda back in the early 80's. So no 13B 4 port twin dizzy. It also has the 'better' electronic dizzy in it. This is one of those 'ran when parked' deals. He said it really did run great when he started to take it apart to address some issues. He has put oil in it and turned it by hand a few times a year. So it might be able to be brought back to life.

First off however, I am dealing with the body work and interior. It really just needs a few small spots addresses and to the trim put back on. The interior is in great shape except for the dash. For now, I will get a dashmat until I can redo it myself.

Next, I am addressing the suspension and brakes. I am under the impression that 84-85 from strut/spindle assemblies will bolt in, and give me many more options. From there I can get the RE-Speed FC brake kit. The rear end is where I am in the dark. I know it has factory disc in the rear, but uses a drum inside the rotor for parking brakes. This is not ideal. If I can get an FB rear end under it, I can again go with RE-Speed 5 lug axles and big brakes. From there, a nice set of 15's will be sourced (old school, or meshies).

From there, its power time. If the 12a is healthy, it will get a Weber carb and manifold, direct fire ignition, custom catback, radiator with e-fans and an FD alternator upgrade.

Right now I am debating on whether to keep the chrome bits chrome, or powder coat them black instead.
And if the 12A is not healthy? as an aside, 12a's suck... but if it's not.. boosted 13B-RE?? Cosmo for the Cosmo

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
djmtsu

Quote:
And if the 12A is not healthy? as an aside, 12a's suck... but if it's not.. boosted 13B-RE?? Cosmo for the Cosmo
Oh, I know, 12a's are not beastly engines, but if it moves it, that is good for now. And they are tough little engines.

I would love to put a 13B-RE in it. You got a spare you want to loan me? Lol (don't forget the EMS). I actually bought an S5 TII engine last week, but plans changed and I sold it to jfaplanet for one of his REPU's.

I am sure I can find another
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Damn man, this is so ballin. I hate you now too. LOL

Congrats!
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Cool Project car DJ! Can't wait to see it!

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
djmtsu

Thanks Phil.

Anyone hear from Rotarydave? I haven't seen him post anywhere in a while. I PM's him a few weeks ago and have not received a reply. Wonder if he is in Iraq again.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
djmtsu

Wow. Info out there for the Cosmo's is so vague, and somewhat cryptic. I read a post where a guy said he uses FC struts in the rear (which doesn't seem possible), and a few references to FB shock in the rear. Nobody has an upgrade spring solution it seems.

Also, the factory bolt pattern is 4x120. Which sucks. Now, if I upgrade the front struts/spindles to GSL-SE, I can get some 4x120 to 4x114.3 adapters for the rear (since there is zero info on an axle swap). However, I have no clue on offsets.

This is going to be fun! I wish I knew if Billy could make his subframe for an FB fit the RX-5. R&P steering would be the shit!
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

Good luck.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
djmtsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5ABaby View Post
Good luck.
Shouldn't you be off crimping wires? Or cleaning a fuel tank?
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

Quote:
Shouldn't you be off crimping wires? Or cleaning a fuel tank?
At 1:30 on a Thursday, I wish. Ok, not really since I'm not looking forward to those. At least the fuel tank. The crimping won't be bad as I want to redo my tail lights and clean up the wiring. I'm looking at cutting the wiring in half along with making my reverse lights LEDs. Already have the boards made...

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki