Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
fullsmoke
Where's the next apex?

fullsmoke is on a distinguished road
Default Direction dependent vibration issue...

I have been having a weird vibration issues for the past few months. I can't tell if it has been getting worse. The vibration happens when traveling 50+mph (especially 60-70mph). The vibration is more noticeable when turning the steering wheel left (vibration becomes severe and whole car rattles). However, turning the wheel right makes the vibration go away completely (incredibly smooth like how the car should drive).

I don't have a reason to believe my alignment is off--tire wear seems to be OK. I've also visually inspected my suspension parts and cannot find anything broken or loose. The wheel bearings seem ok on the "wiggle the tire" test. There has never been any odd sounds (like metal clanking or grinding), only the vibration. I have rotated (back to front) and cross-rotated (left to right) my wheels yet there is no change in the vibration and direction.

Any advice on what to try next?

Thanks,
FS

Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

Check your Halfshafts on the rearend Jack it up and have a good look around. Pay close attention to the inner CV near the Diff

Also look over the Driveline make sure all bolts are there and if the balance weights are still on it.
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.

Last edited by chibikougan; 03-11-2015 at 06:42 PM..
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
fullsmoke
Where's the next apex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikougan View Post
Check your Halfshafts on the rearend Jack it up and have a good look around. Pay close attention to the inner CV near the Diff

Also look over the Driveline make sure all bolts are there and if the balance weights are still on it.
The half shafts and their boots look solid. We don't have CV joints, correct? I didn't check the drive shaft yet...

FS
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmoke View Post
The half shafts and their boots look solid. We don't have CV joints, correct? I didn't check the drive shaft yet...

FS
The rear axles are CV joints, jsut like a FWD car.

What it sounds like is something on the right side of the car. Turning left you are putting weight on that side, and causes more strain. Turning right you are shifting weight away, and lessens load on that side.

^the above is a pretty typical indication of a wheel bearing, rear axle, or even a tire with a broken belt. (ie. Something that is moving/rotating)

I once had an issue where the whole car would rythmically vibrate at highway speed, but couldn't pin it. I thought it was a wheel bearing. Turned out i let someone else driv ethe car while I followed, and the rear tire was moving around pretty violently. It just reached a strange resonance at that speed. Replaced the two rear tires, no more vibration. My point is, it can be something odd that you never expect.

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
fullsmoke
Where's the next apex?

Thanks. I plan to replace my wheel bearings. How difficult is it to do? Do I need to buy the whole hub assembly or is it cheaper to just buy bearings and have a shop press them for me? (I don't have many specialized tools with me)

Thanks,
FS
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

http://foxed.ca/index.php?page=rx7manual

That covers everything..
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote