Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
lcrotaryracer
Rotary Fan in Training

lcrotaryracer is on a distinguished road
Default need some info on mega squirt ecu

like the title says some info on a mega squirt ecu. if any one that has one or knows about them can give me some general info i'd appreciate the help.

thanks

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
85rx-7gsl-se
Mod With The Least :P

85rx-7gsl-se is on a distinguished road

What is it going on? N/A? TII?

www.tennspeed.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Carlock aka RotoriousRX7
"Rotarys come with built-in traction control, its called no torque"
85rx-7gsl-se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
lcrotaryracer
Rotary Fan in Training

lcrotaryracer is on a distinguished road

na for now, but iam going to get a turbo engine later. i want to learn how to tune a car be for then. if i mess up it will not be so bad.
s4 87
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
85rx-7gsl-se
Mod With The Least :P

85rx-7gsl-se is on a distinguished road

Ok...If you were going TII swap, I would go Microtech. For the N/A you could do an Rtek, but you wont have as many tuning options as on the Megasquirt.

www.tennspeed.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Carlock aka RotoriousRX7
"Rotarys come with built-in traction control, its called no torque"
85rx-7gsl-se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

im going to have a write up on this i think once i finish my MS unit. Really not much left to do but i want to check it over for a few things.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
NoDOHC
The quest for more torque

NoDOHC will become famous soon enough

I did megasquirt on a motorcycle. It used an 8X8 map (manifold pressure vs RPM for fueling and a similar map for ignition advance. The ignition trigger is a little funny (may need to tweak resistance on the on-board filter). Basically, it is the simplest, quickest and easiest ECU to tune, probably the hardest to set up (unless you get some canned maps). The global injector trim feature is awesome for global richening/leaning after adjusting fuel pressure.

I would say that compared to the microtech, a megasquirt is simple in every way. I would argue that Haltech setup is easier (they even include a rotary setup section in the help file). I can also tell you that you get either idle air control or ignition control (Unless they fixed that in V3) on a megasquirt.

The big downside to the megaquirt is the lack of fuel mix vs. air temp maps, fuel mix vs. coolant temp maps and ignitiong timing vs intake air temp maps. Basically, the megasquirt can adjust based on these values, but it only uses a linear formula.

In a nutshell:
Microtech = Really expensive, Complicated setup to get running, amazing adjustability once you get it running
Haltech = Pretty expensive, Simplified and easy setup, good adjustability once running (only missing the ability to run negative split on E6X).
Megasquirt = Less expensive, complicated to setup and get running, limited adjustability once running (although I think you can run negative split).

Unless you are a really big fan of the open source nature of the megasquirt, I would go with a Haltech (that is actually what I did).

The choice is still yours in the end. Do some research, download Halwin and the megasquirt software (megatune?). (I don't know if the microtech software is readily available for download or not, I only fooled with it on a friend's car.)