Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough
Default Who says you can't have an emissions LEGAL 400+RWHP rotary?

My emmisions is due, again, so I found a shop, not exactely local, about 85 miles away that was sympathetic to my needs. He said as long as he didn't have customers waiting for an emmisions test, I would be able to use the equipment in diagnostic mode with a tech present to do a little tuning and try to get her to pass.

So I spent ~3 hrs of the last few days welding in a new center section for my exhaust that consisted of a Magnaflow hi-flow cat and some other bits. I bought the one with the air injection port already welded so when I have to go back with a working air-pump, it's won't require me to take the exhaust off and weld stuff in, just plumb it up. I didn't replace the precilencer that I have now, I just built an entire new center section. The way my exhuast is set up, there is a flex pipe and the end of the DP with a 3" V-Band welded on. On the other side of the V-Band is a MagnaFlow 3" in 2x 2.5" out and a few bends heading off to the rear cans. Right around the axles there is a second V-Band on each side that seperates the mufflers from the presilencer or cat. I built a new section with the cat between the V-Bands. When I originally bought the pre-silencer, MagnaFlow offered the same case in with a cat installed. They have since stopped offering that so I had to buy a 3"-3" hi-flow cat and a 2x 2.5" - 3" Merge Collector as well as a few other pieces of piping. Either way all I need is my 7/16" subby racheting wrench and 5 minutes and I can swap the center sections out.

True to form, today is the deadline so I went up late this morning The tech backed the car in, no door dings this time, off to a good start.... although he did stall it FOUR times even after I warned him it was a grabby twin disc clutch, "eh, we deal with those all the time." It's a Rustang/Vette shop primarily. So we started her on the rollers with his foot on the gas and me working the MoTeC. Got her into 3rd gear, as opposed to first and started the sniffer. Ended up pulling about 20% fuel from 1500-2250rpms and right around the 40-60% effiecency mark (roughly the same in kpa) to acheive a L of ~.98. I generally have her running ~.9-.92 in that range.

Someone else showed for a test so we pulled my car out, I was done anyway, pulled a honduh in for the CT Emmisions test and that failed then pulled my car back in, again no door dings but one stall.

Here's what happened next -

This was done on regular 93 oct, Idemitsu PREMIX IN the tank mixed at about 1/2 oz/gal AND the OMP working as well. This is more oil than what is recc'd but I was doing some SEVERE back road jaunts yesterday with a few local rotorheads so I added a little extra lube love. No alcohol tricks, no crazy advanced timing, no pumping cubic acres of air into the exhaust, no air pump at all and BOTH tail-pipes being sniffed and she still passed. Who says you can't have a street/emmisions legal 400+ RWHP rotary???

Oh, and the engine survived this time with all her sideseals intack Coolant hit 188* and oil hit 170*, hood open, no fans though, but there was a garden hose present that I noticed JIC.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 11-23-2009 at 09:08 PM..
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Very nice!
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

you are lucky... for emissions in tennessee (where you have emissions) the HC have to be below 220 and we have state run testing facilities (no multiple tests). Ask me how I know?? lol

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

That sucks. I could've reduced the hyrdocarbons more if I wanted but I wanted to see where I was at. She was running .97-98L so there's more to be had. Also could've advanced the timing a touch..... new plugs would help that as well.... mine are OLD! and have survived probably 60 dyno pulls.

There are definately ways to legally get through emissions. Remember, this was done SANS airpump. Pumping in fresh air is going to lower ALL of those readings.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

thats how I passed a '87 na with no emissions....

1) air pump directly to the cat
2) retarded timing as far as I could drive safely
3) 7-8 bottle of ISO HEET on minimum gas,

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

did you bypass the ACV or just rig it open?

My car stinks, so I was thinking of going with a cheap cat and an air pump.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

ACV? That's cute No air pump, no ACV, no emissions nothing except for a cat and intimate knowledge of the inner workings of a combustion engine and a hell of an ECU

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
rx4ur7
Rotary since 1972

rx4ur7 is on a distinguished road

All my street packages pass close to factory 0 - 0. which can be capable of 435. (all have to maintain factory emission systems as required by ADOT). The Mazda emission system is one of the most efficient out there, that really does not effect performance.

Good work on what you have done, would like to see HC under 100 which with a little work you can do. I have always maintained you can be green and still kick assphalt.

My non-cat, non-TR REPU goes through 56ppm HC .01% CO. with SP, Nikki carb, stock ACV and Pump.

Last edited by rx4ur7; 11-25-2009 at 03:05 PM..
rx4ur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Nicely done on the REPU! I'm guessing the airpump has alot to do with those numbers being as low as they are?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
ACV? That's cute No air pump, no ACV, no emissions nothing except for a cat and intimate knowledge of the inner workings of a combustion engine and a hell of an ECU
My bad, I was talking about the person that posted before me....

However, what can one do to make their RX smell better? Would a cat alone make sense, or would that be a waste of money?

Atm, I can either go with an RB presilencer, or a cheaper cat, I'm leaning on the side of the presilencer for hp, but also on the side of the cat for stink prevention.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
However, what can one do to make their RX smell better? Would a cat alone make sense, or would that be a waste of money?
Nuthin you can do to make a rotary smell better.

You can however keep a travel bottle of cologne in the car. Thats what I do. The wife loves the smell of CK and high octane.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
Turbo II Rotor
Rotary Fan in Training

Turbo II Rotor is on a distinguished road

I envy and hate you at the same time...
Turbo II Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
RCCAZ 1
Rotary Fanatic

RCCAZ 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
Nuthin you can do to make a rotary smell better.

You can however keep a travel bottle of cologne in the car. Thats what I do. The wife loves the smell of CK and high octane.
This is funny. Yea, running MP only, my wife always knows when I've been out in the garage running the car. The smell permiates everything. Oh well, it's all part of the Rotary POWA experience.
RCCAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo II Rotor View Post
I envy and hate you at the same time...
lot of that going around lately

I was at my buddies condo sometime back in March, we fired her up outside his garage to let her warm up for a few minutes and before we had even finished a smoke his neighbor was outside screaming at us, "you're fuming out all my guests, your're trying to kill us! do you have any idea what it smells like in there!"
Yes, we know what it smells like, we've been out here for 5 minutes
No, No, you should come in here and smell this
We KNOW what it smells like, sorry
blah blah blah more bitching and whining

This is completely ignoring the fact that she'll wheel her harley outside and start it up and let it warm up for a 1/2 hour @ 7:30 EVERY Sunday. I hate hypocrites.

Meh, whatever.

Wasn't there some sort of fuel additive that would alter the scent of the exhaust?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
BigIslandSevens
Rotary Fanatic

BigIslandSevens is on a distinguished road

There are additives that scent the fumes. We sold it at the m/c shop I worked at. Cotton candy was popular. You'd have to put a shit-ton in to mask our natural scent!
BigIslandSevens is offline   Reply With Quote