Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Multimedia > Rotary Of The Month Contest > Winner's Circle

Winner's Circle Rotary Car Club Of The Month Member Rides!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road
Default January 2010 Rotary Project of the Month

WE3RX7
Project FC 13B RE Single Turbo Swap

I have owned my FC since 2000. My family has always been into RX7s so I guess thats why I got into it. Back in 2002 the original NA engine blew. I spent the next two years swapping it to a T2. That motor was junk, so I ended up getting a rebuilt T2 streetported engine. After installing it, I wasn't super pleased with how the rest of the car stacked up. I decided it was best off to fully restore the car and have something to keep for years to come. I started restoring it in 2006 and thats where it is now. The front clip is almost together. The plans are to complete the 13B RE single turbo swap, finish the body work/paint to completely change the color over to Innocent Blue Mica and restore the interior to a nice black tone (opposed to the oh so popular blue that many S4 cars have). Everything I've done with the restoration has been time consuming, but worth it. Every nut/bolt/washer is being addressed. Things get cleaned, polished, painted, rust protected, etc no matter what. This car will NOT be a trailer queen though as so many have told me it will be. I plan to complete it late this year to have a good season of HPDE and Circuitcross! Looking forward to have it at DGRRXI!

Links to more photos!
RCC Project album

Build Thread
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...read.php?t=267

Q: Congratulations for winning Ride of the Month! Tell us about how you acquired this car?
A: I wanted one as a first car - took several months of driving all over looking at junkers until but my parents actually came across this one the day it went up for sale. It had low mileage, all records and no rust . We bought it later that same night. That was in 2001.

Q: Favorite stretch of road to drive your car on (location)?
A: I would say Deals Gap, but this car hasn't been there yet, so I'd have to say the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Q: Whats the biggest reason you chose a rotary powered car to modify?
A: Besides my father, grandfather and aunt who were RX7 junkies from the SA/FB era - I wanted to build something different than the normal V8 sports car. I was addicted to the rotary engine from a young age. It is undeniably one of the greatest cars to drive and own.

Q: What are the future plans on this car?
A: Top of the list is to complete the restoration, get the 13B RE in it's new home and compete for as many seasons as possible in NASA-MA events. The ultimate plan some day is to wedge a 20B in there (partly why I went with the 13B RE swap this time)

Q: What was the worst and best memory of this project?
A: Worst memory was having the first motor I swapped in be a dud. At a young age and spending over a year building it, it was a big let down to not be able to drive the car for as long as I'd liked.
Best memory was picking the car up with my dad. He wouldn't let me drive it home because "I couldn't drive a stick very well" but we all know its because he wanted to have some fun with it too!

Q: Any other hobbies besides cars?
A: Other than the RX, my other hobbies include computers, snowboarding, hiking/climbing and travel.

Q: Anyone you'd like to thank?
A: The list is never ending. First and foremost would have to be my parents. In the early years of working on the car, although not always seeing eye-to-eye, they were always supportive. Next is my wife, Whitney, who doesn't raise a fuss when I drag her out of bed at 5am to get ready for a race, or drive to a meet, or complain that I'm on Rotarycarclub.com all night! Finishing this project won't be possible without her support. I'd also like to thank all of my friends who have helped out over the many years! Lets also not forget the rotary community - without it, who would share our insanity and insomnia?
Q: Anything in the pipeline for another ROTM win?
A: I'd like to think my FC will be in the running for a future ROTM when its complete. I also have an FD project planned out once the FC is done as well as an FB, B-series and RX8. You never know!

Full specifications listing? (mods, etc)
Full specs right now would be:
1988 SE RX7
Innocent Blue Mica
13B-RE HBP w/ RX8 eccentric shaft & FD internals
Rebuilt S5 T2 transmission
SA-REA FC2000 bumper
SA-Panspeed hood
SA-Foresight fenders
Stance GR+Pro coilover
RB Front sway
Mazdaspeed lower control arm brace
Mazdaspeed bushings / polished front c-arms
Authentic RE-A D steering wheel
Sparco Hub
S5 rear tail lights
S5 rear bumper
Full herculiner undercoating
S5 black interior swap
Lizard skinned interior coating
Autopower 6pt cage
Recaro Pole Positions
Wilwood 4pot front brakes
FD rear brakes

Those are the decided factors, as the year continues, the details will unfold in my thread....

Watch the build unfold. I'm sure I'll hit some snags along the way, but I'm looking forward to unveiling this car at DGRRXI and I owe a lot of people rides!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Congrats Bill!

Prove 'em wrong about the trailer queen thing. I did, one of my biggest doubters was in NYC for Turkey Day, drove the FC down and took him for a ride.... it was awesome Now get to work on it!

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
one320fc
one Apex @ a time

one320fc is on a distinguished road

Way to go Billy!!! maybe this will be some more incentive to hurry up j/k.. I think you deserve this one and in a way I kinda feel honored, I have yet to win ROTM but some of my parts are on your car congrats man!
one320fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! Some of you know the life changes heading my way... but I think it's a blessing really.. maybe I can have to "first borns" this year

Now that a kid is on the way though, it just reminds me of why I am going through the efforts to build a car that will withstand the years to come.. hopefully they'll appreciate it as much as I am and it'll be in the family for many many years...
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote