Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
eppo37
Rotarded Jackass :)

eppo37 is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch squealing

This may be a little difficult to describe in text, but I'll do my best.

2004 RX-8 - Mazda Speed Exhaust, SPEC clutch, otherwise stock
~81,000 miles
Replaced stock clutch with SPEC stage 1 clutch kit at ~55,000 miles

So here is my problem; recently had my car at the dealer (Med Center) to get the clutch pedal bracket replaced. Was covered by a recall, so no big deal. After I got the car back, I had trouble shifting into 1st or reverse when stopped. This is my daily driver, and the dealer couldn't get me a loaner car. So I just had to deal with the issue for about a month. When I did take the car back in, turned out the mechanic didn't adjust the linkage when he installed the new pedal. They adjusted it, and I haven't had a problem shifting since.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I am now having a new problem. Not sure it's related, could just be bad timing. As the car pulls into 1st gear, I can hear a squeal. Similar to how a belt sounds when it slips. The warmer the engine gets, the longer and louder the squeal, and acceleration is uneven as the car starts to move. So far:

Only noticed the sound pulling into 1st gear (though I haven't tried starting in 2nd)
Problem is almost non-existed when the engine is cold (afternoon sun seems to be warm enough to cause the noise though)
Noise is noticeably louder if the engine is under more strain (uphill or over revving)
No noise when I'm completely in gear
No noise while the clutch is completely disengaged

So is there any reason I should think the poorly adjusted linkage damaged something? My best guess so far is that the throwout bearing is the issue. Ideas?

Also, I am the first to admit I don't know as much about cars as I would like to. So if you have a suggestion about what the problem could be, and it isn't something simple or obvious, I would really appreciate it if you could explain what you mean just a bit. Ex: "It's your slave cylinder." WTF is a slave cylinder?

User [yoo-zer] noun -the word IT professionals use when they really mean idiot

Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave anything behind that can be traced back to you.
eppo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Sephitrask
BOILED PEANUTS!!!

Sephitrask is on a distinguished road

so you only hear the noise when shifting into first? no other gears? You said its louder when going uphill, why would you be shifting into first while going uphill? The gear does whine pretty loudly if you rev it out, so if you are going to fast for it that could be the issue. does it happen even when you are at a complete stop?

www.rotarycarclub.com
"The way a Rotary engine makes power is ferocious, much like having a chainsaw under your right foot."
Sephitrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road

i had a similar problem with my FC.. never did figure out what it was.
'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
eppo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephitrask View Post
so you only hear the noise when shifting into first? no other gears? You said its louder when going uphill, why would you be shifting into first while going uphill? The gear does whine pretty loudly if you rev it out, so if you are going to fast for it that could be the issue. does it happen even when you are at a complete stop?
So far, yes, only 1st gear. I'm shifting into 1st uphill because the city didn't consult me when placing their stop signs and traffic lights. If by complete stop you mean actually sitting still, then no, no sound. If you mean pulling off from a stop, then yes. That is about the only time I hear it.

But again, the noise isn't consistent. Today for example, I drove to work with the radio off. I didn't hear it once. I just got back from getting new tires. Nothing going to the shop, nothing when they pulled my car onto the lift, nothing when I left the shop. Then, about halfway back to work, it did it once going uphill. But it was very quiet compared to last Friday when I posted this, and it was only audible for a second. Last week, it was audible for a long as it took me to pull completely into gear.

Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave anything behind that can be traced back to you.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify, have you subscribed to this thread?
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
eppo37

Wait....subscribe???

You mean I don't have to use the search box to find my threads over and over? Why the hell isn't there a thread to explain "How To Use The Forum"? Travesty!!! I blame the admins.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppo37 View Post
I blame the admins.
Blame that ZGN guy...
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Sephitrask
BOILED PEANUTS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppo37 View Post
So far, yes, only 1st gear. I'm shifting into 1st uphill because the city didn't consult me when placing their stop signs and traffic lights. If by complete stop you mean actually sitting still, then no, no sound. If you mean pulling off from a stop, then yes. That is about the only time I hear it.

But again, the noise isn't consistent. Today for example, I drove to work with the radio off. I didn't hear it once. I just got back from getting new tires. Nothing going to the shop, nothing when they pulled my car onto the lift, nothing when I left the shop. Then, about halfway back to work, it did it once going uphill. But it was very quiet compared to last Friday when I posted this, and it was only audible for a second. Last week, it was audible for a long as it took me to pull completely into gear.
Sorry to keep asking questions, but I want to make sure I understand 100% before I give any opinions on the problem.
So to be clear, when at a complete stop, you have no issue or noise shifting into first. However, when downshifting, or coasting in neutral, you hear a whine when pushing the shifter up into first? Does this whine sound similar to the whine the gearbox makes if you are in first at say, 6500 rpm? or is it closer to what it sounds like if you grind reverse?

www.rotarycarclub.com
"The way a Rotary engine makes power is ferocious, much like having a chainsaw under your right foot."
Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
eppo37

The only time I hear the noise is when I start moving from a stop. As the clutch begins to catch and the car starts to move, I hear a squeal. Another word I could use to describe the noise is 'chatter'. I didn't use that word the first time because it seems more confusing than helpful to me. But it does get across that the sound is not solid. It feels like the clutch is slipping as well, because the car does not pull into gear as quickly or as smoothly compared to when the sound isn't present.

The sound has nothing to do with shifting in any way. Also, I tried pulling off from a stop in 2nd today and got the same sound. So it does seem to have something to do with a bit of extra pull on the engine or the clutch itself. That would explain why the problem is exaggerated starting off uphill.

Last edited by ZGN; 04-20-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Sephitrask
BOILED PEANUTS!!!

that last post was very good, a much better description that the first.

I honestly cannot give a definitive answer on this, but can offer a few things to check. First, with the failure of the clutch pedal bracket, there have been many instances of it damaging the clutch master cylinder as well (happened to mine). it could be an engagement issue that is not noticed while driving at speed since the car is not trying to move from a dead stop.

take a look at your firewall behind the clutch pedal bracket. there is what looks like a tube sticking out of it, with a plunger that is connected to the clutch pedal. Is it leaking or is any fluid visible at all?if so your clutch master cylinder is bad.

Also it may be useful to go ahead and change your transmission fluid, and see if there are shaving in it. its possible it was damaged from driving the car with the bad/poorly setup clutch pedal.

Try those things out and let us know what the results are.

www.rotarycarclub.com
Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
eppo37

So fixing the car trouble had to wait. My unit got activated after the tornados rolled through. But that didn't mean I wasn't still driving the car. The problems have gotten worse, but I think I know what the squealing noise is now. The sound that prompted me to start this thread seems to be the sound the clutch is making as it slips. Now that the clutch is slipping so bad, it's a little more obvious. Now the issue is figuring out why in the hell a clutch with only 30k miles on it is slipping in the first place.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
tweiss3
Mazda Lover

tweiss3 is on a distinguished road

Eh, common problem with mazda clutches as of recently. I know the 6's had some issues with premature wear/failure. Had a friend's clutch explode at 15k, and the MS6's had a few recalls for the clutch with premature wear.

2004 Mazda6 V6 5-spd - still waiting on money for a motor
1991 Mazda RX7 NA 5-spd - my new DD with 145,000 miles
tweiss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
stinksause
The Newbie

stinksause is on a distinguished road

is it your pedal or your gearbox?
stinksause is offline   Reply With Quote