Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
KristiC
The Newbie

KristiC is on a distinguished road
Default New Owner of 09' RX-8

I have looked on the net, and in the forums here and I have yet to find an answer that fully describes the question I have, if there is a thread that does and I have over looked it, I'm sorry for posting the question again. = )

So, before I left the dealership, the salesman of course gave me a lot of info and stuff. As a woman I am not ignorant at all to cars, but to rotary enginers, alas, I know nothing. The salesman told me, when I start the car to rev the engine up to 4k rpm's and keep it there for about 10 secs, he also said to do the same thing when I turn the car off, this means every time I start or turn off the car, even If I've been driving it all day. I've had the car now a week, and I must say, it is a tedious task, so my question is. Why must I do this?

I have read where people say it is done mostly when the car is cold, and so that the car is not shut down cold, but once it's warm must I still do it?
I know this car can flood if your turn it off while it's cold, correct?

What I'm asking is why is this done, I don't care to do it every single time, but I would just like to know, why it's done. I appreciate any help.

Thanks guys.

KristiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

I have some friends with 8s that do this same thing, at least when they're shutting the car down, and they say it's to clean out the injectors before shutting it off, but I'm not 100% certain that makes sense. I would think you wouldn't NOT want to do it when starting the car, because you want the seals to warm up first before getting on the throttle much. I know the FDs came with an accelerated warm up system from the factory, but I don't believe it's good for the car. I could be wrong though, who knows.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
rx865
DC

rx865 is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't have to do that with an 09 model from what I've heard. I know the 1st gen 8's you had to rev it up before shutting it down to remove carbon and burn the remaining fuel. You don't have to hold it at 4k for 10 seconds to shut it down. I take mine up to 3k and shut it off when it hits 3k. You dont need to rev it up at start up at all either.
rx865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't have to do it at all.
The problem is with the factory ignition coils.

I don't recommend doing it on warm up as you're just prematurely wearing out your motor. just let it warm up on it's own. when the temp needle is half way then you're good to go, other wise, if you have to just get in and go, keep the RPMs under 4k until it's warm.

I would also recommend swapping the crap factory coils in favor of the "Black Halo Racing" coil upgrade. You shouldn't have to pop rev the car to shut it down after that.

If you ever have problems starting it after it's warmed up and it's only been sitting for a few minutes (running into the store or gas station), this is commonly referred to as a hot start issue. Typically it tells you 1 of 2 things. Either the plugs are fouled cause of the crappy coils, and the motor's flooded, or you're developing low compression. Low compression under 100k miles is typically grounds for a new motor at the expense of labor ($200, and 10 days).

When you cut it off, all you have to do is rev the car to 4000 RPMs and cut the key as soon as it reaches that mark. While the motor winds down, it should exhaust most of the unused fuel in the motor (hopefully) preventing it from flooding when you start it the next time. No need to hold it for 10 sec. That's just a waste of fuel.

They're fun cars, but maintenance and habit is the key to them lasting. You should have less problems being that it's a series 2 with extra oil injectors.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Chibana
The Michigan "WANKEL"

Chibana is on a distinguished road

My salesman told me to rev it to 3,000 and hold it for a few seconds before shutting it off only if the car didn't have a chance to reach operating temperature (i.e., the variable redline on the gauge never made it to the full 9,000). I've read from people who really know their RX-8s that this is probably not really necessary, at least in the Series II (2009+). I've been doing it just to be safe, but I rarely stop the car when it's not fully warmed up.
Chibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
KristiC
The Newbie

So with the Gen II engine that I have, 09' RX-8, I don't have to rev it to get it to operating temp, just let it idle for a few mins., but if I have to get in and go just keep it low rpms until its warm. When I turn it off just rev it up til around 3k rpms and kill it. The reason for that is to burn of excessive fuel so the next time I go to start it won't have the possiblilty of flooding.

Do I have to rev it up like that every time when shutting the car off, ex. like if I'm running into the store, gas station, or multiple errands within a short amount of time, rev it up every time and shut if off then too, or just when I'm going to turn it off for the night, or work? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
KristiC
The Newbie

I forgot to add that it only has 6k miles, I'm not for sure if it's still considered to be in the
"breaking in" stage of the motor. Is there any thing I should know, if it is still considered being broken in? Tips or suggestions?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

You don't need to rev it everytime before you shut it down. Just us with high mile RX-8's need to do that

Just use the rotary Golden Rule. DO NOT SHUT IT OFF UNTIL IT HAS REACHED OPERATING TEMPERATURE.

This will save you a flooded headache.

I would say you are past the break in period. Beat the snot outta it!
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
LunchboxCritter
Simply Rotarded

LunchboxCritter is on a distinguished road

We have an 04 rx8 and we've only gotten it flooded once (in 3 yrs of owning it) moving it around in the driveway and it didn't reach operating temp. If you find that your car won't start after being moved or driven a short time, (keep your 8 long enough and you will eventually face this problem), all you have to do to deflood it is hold the gas pedal to the floor and turn the key (start) for 10 seconds, wait 5 seconds, then turn the key again for 10 sec. You'll know when it finally gets unflooded it will start, then let off the gas pedal and let it idle. It will smoke like crazy for a few minutes (that's normal, don't freak out).

We never gas the car while it's cold and have never had to do that to shut it down either.

FYI: look on www.RX8Club.com for more information on your car, and enjoy it.

- 91 NA to J-Spec TII
- 88 FC Vert
- 04 Rx8

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Last edited by LunchboxCritter; 05-26-2010 at 12:47 PM..
LunchboxCritter is offline   Reply With Quote