Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
sen2two
KTEC

sen2two is on a distinguished road
Default fc3s + Renesis = :)

OK... im going to try and document this as much as possible with pics and tips. i am by no means a genious or have a bunch of money. i also have 2 other TII's wich get most of my money. i want to prove this is one of the best swaps for the price and power.

here we go.

so i'll start it off with getting the core into the car. this is probley the best thing to do first since you cant make anything else without knowing clearence issues.

heres a few pics of the motor mounts i made made 1/4inch steel plate. i got this metal for free this is why i chose it. i cut them out with a sheer and a hand torch. used a belt sander to smooth them out slightly. there not 100% done. i need to do some slight trimming and smoothing to make them look better. but for now, they work and fit very nice. there plenty strong and will be nice with the polyurethane bushings im using.

heres some pics...

motor mount pics

how they started:

sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
sen2two
KTEC

installed:

Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
sen2two
KTEC

im going to add that this is my first ever attempt of trying to make motor mounts.

i bolted the tranny to the motor (S5 NA trans) and put them in together and mounted the tranny using stock tranny mounting positions. i then propped the motor up using a floor jack getting it to the right height and location using a level to make sure its even.

the FD front cover is on there in the picture because i was planning on using it. for the main reason of using the FD crank trigger mounted on the front cover. but im since thinking of using the S4 NA front cover i have on there now and using the FC crank angle sensor. alls you need to do is swap the renesis timing gear for a 12a/13b one and thats it.

i'll be using an FC water pump and housing either way. mainly because the FD one is very ugly and bulky. plus the FC one is lighter. i'll be updating more when i get to it. there much much fabrication to come. most of it will be my first time, proving it dosnt take a pro and a bunch of money.

i'll be hoping for 220-230 WHP when all is complete. in NA form with MPG near 18-20 city driving. and more reliability than any other rotary with equal power. and far more street drivability. this will be a TRUE daily driver with A/C and all!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
sen2two
KTEC

oh, and the car is a 1990 GTU.

this was all done in November 2008. i posted this on a few other forums. and was asked to bring it here.

so here it is!!!

the project has been slow moving since then though. i have done little thing like clean the engine bay up, buying thing like the ECU (Microtech LT8), de-wiring useless crap, ect... so theres no real updates as of right now. if i could just sell my 10AE this project would be moving along much much quicker.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Sweet swap.

All the 'old guys' say that it isn't worth doing, but I always begged to differ. Using the FC front cover/WP combo makes it easier it seems, and with that you can use a dizzy I would guess (which can simplify even more). I actually didn't even know you could do that. Bonus!

Let us know how it goes, I would be interested in something like this in the future. If it works out good, you should contact one of the fabrication vendors here (nolimit comes to mind, along with RESpeed) to maybe produce the mounts.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
neit_jnf
Boricua!

neit_jnf is on a distinguished road

Yes!!
neit_jnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
rotorhead87
Rotors > Pistons

rotorhead87 is on a distinguished road

Sweet! I'll be looking forward to the furture of this project. A friend of mine is always raving about how badass a renesis would be in a FC.

***UPDATED 06/15/2009***
Check out My VMIC Turbo 13B-RE FC3S build
rotorhead87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

I've heard of people wanting to do it but never seen it done. Good job on the build.....make sure those mounts are sturdy and post results, reviews and all the info you find.

I'm one of the people that doesn't think it's a cost-effective swap...the power-to-money-spent ratio doesn't SEEM worth it to me but I'd love to hear how you feel about it so far.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
firzen
Rotary Fanatic

firzen is on a distinguished road

I've heard of more people doing the opposite swap of 13BTs into the SE3P but this is an interesting development.

Kudos, and keep us posted!
firzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
I've heard of people wanting to do it but never seen it done. Good job on the build.....make sure those mounts are sturdy and post results, reviews and all the info you find.

I'm one of the people that doesn't think it's a cost-effective swap...the power-to-money-spent ratio doesn't SEEM worth it to me but I'd love to hear how you feel about it so far.
I think initial upfront cost may be accurate but extensive modification I'm not so sure. You have a 64-bit ECU which can handle Cobb modifications (which supposedly is more accurate than a Motec ecu) for about 800 and the ability to further fine tune the engine with forced induction plus variable intake lengths would yeild a flater torque curve I figure. Starting with increased compression ratio's I don't think it too far fetched to be able to take it to the ragged edge to see a large HP number, however that ragged edge may be lower than the 13B's previous to this if we are to believe Kevin on the subject.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I'm one of those who doesn't believe it's worth it...

I commend you for tackling such a project.
The pics so far look really good.
I'd like to see the results when everything is finished.

Good luck on the project.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #12
StarSpeedRacing
StarSpeedRacing

StarSpeedRacing is on a distinguished road

Good work.
Can't wait to see it done!

GB:FD Intercooler Kit

GB:Stainless Non Turbo Headers

StarSpeedRacing@gmail.com
StarSpeedRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I think initial upfront cost may be accurate but extensive modification I'm not so sure. You have a 64-bit ECU which can handle Cobb modifications (which supposedly is more accurate than a Motec ecu) for about 800 and the ability to further fine tune the engine with forced induction plus variable intake lengths would yeild a flater torque curve I figure. Starting with increased compression ratio's I don't think it too far fetched to be able to take it to the ragged edge to see a large HP number, however that ragged edge may be lower than the 13B's previous to this if we are to believe Kevin on the subject.
and you're absolutely right. The engine management is supposed to be really good system. I remember a thread about boosted Renesis' where mazdamaniac explained the capabilities of the ECU and sensors and I was impressed.

just keep us updated, I'd love to see how you like the Renesis vs. the other cars. You plan on staying NA?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Rotary#10
Rotorhead

Rotary#10 is on a distinguished road

mmm out of the box thinking here my friend.. renesis into a FC3S..? usually when you hear about someone upgrading there FC they'll usually gone into a turbo swap.. for more power, etc.. for its money.. All what your doing is breaking the line between what you can and can't do in a fc ! nice i'd like to see how it turns out. more props to you ! keep us posted with pics.. we'll call it the fc3s-R for the renesis swap. hehe just don't call it a type R hehe..
Running project car

89 N/A GTUs in Black #2
10/6/18
Blown coolant seal undergoing rebuild and restomod.
Rotary#10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

I like that...FC3R. at FC Type R!