Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Car Events

Car Events Post any Car related events

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough
Default Who wants to goto Japan with me!

You know, I been wanting to goto Japan for many many years!

Wondering who wants to fork out couple of grand and goto Japan for a week?? See the motherland where our cars are made and check out some shops..

Post here if you are interested!

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
fikren
Rotary Fanatic

fikren is on a distinguished road

very interested, I've been trying to talk the wife into going maybe this summer money and work permitting. Get a small little group together and might be able to get some savings on lodging/plane tickets through a good travel agent.

2008 40th Anniversary Edition RX-8 - bankruptcy owned me
RE-Amemiya Super Dolphin Tail Exhaust-for sale
AutoExe Front and Rear Strut Bars-for sale
AutoExe Member Brace Set-for sale
2008 Honda CBR600RR - bankruptcy owned me
Motivation axle/fork/barend/frame sliders
ASV "unbreakable" shorty levers
Tripage Integrated Tailight and Adj FE
Proton Fushmounts
Akrapovic Hex Carbon/TI Slip On
Sato Rearsets
fikren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

If you're buying, I'm going!!
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Brent
Sua Sponte

Brent is on a distinguished road

I'm going in the summer of 2009 after I get back. I've actually already started planning my trip. Love to get a group to go then, but I'm sure you guys would have all of already went by then.
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFY00PAK_Ps
Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k0lJkcwrM
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
fikren
Rotary Fanatic

well I don't have a time frame myself other than I'd like to go at least within the next 2-3 years. We need to see who all would be interested, set a semi solid date and go from there. Summer of 09 might be pretty good gives people about a year and a half to know about it and be able to set some funds back. Getting there and lodging is just part of the cost, you can't tell me you wouldn't show up with a couple of empty suitcases to haul some goodies back with.

I plan on my wife and I going regardless but it would be so much nicer to be able to show up with a group of people to do things with than just me and her showing up and trying to find our way around and all. Last time I was there was about 23 years ago when I was 7 or 8 so needless to say I don't remember anything about it.

Jonathan

Proton Fushmounts
Sato Rearsets

Last edited by fikren; 02-22-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Herblenny

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Cool! I been wanting to go for years!! Just didn't quite work out with the plans.. 2009 I think will give us plenty of time and get some Japanese vendors to show us around. I'll start working on that... and see if there is a BIG event that we could all attend.. and give us time to learn Japanese

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B

Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
fikren
Rotary Fanatic

http://www.rosettastone.com/personal/languages/japanese

Proton Fushmounts
Sato Rearsets
Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
David Jerome
RCC Contributor

David Jerome is on a distinguished road

If you guys get some pricing together my Fiance and I could possibly be interested. Someone learn the language really well so we can go buy about 20 sets of new rotor housings for dirty cheap.

PM me about low priced, high quality port work
David Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herblenny View Post
Cool! I been wanting to go for years!! Just didn't quite work out with the plans.. 2009 I think will give us plenty of time and get some Japanese vendors to show us around. I'll start working on that... and see if there is a BIG event that we could all attend.. and give us time to learn Japanese
I speak a little bit, but not enough to carry on a conversation with anyone.
ZGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
fikren
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgn View Post
I speak a little bit, but not enough to carry on a conversation with anyone.
I'm thinking about trying out the rosetta stone language learner to see how well it works and how in depth it actually gets. They offer a online version where you pay for a set number of months and can then access it anywhere from any computer. If I decide to do something like that I might be pursuaded to let a few people have the info so they can make use of it also should it turn out to be a benificial program.

I doubt it will teach you to say "I need a dirt price on brand new rotors" but might get close "I need to pay little for new triangles"

Proton Fushmounts
Sato Rearsets
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
Brent
Sua Sponte

Hey, don't buy rosetta stone just yet. Give me about a week to see if I still have a hook up with it.

As far as pricing goes. I've been looking around for a while. Typically, per person, if we flew from Nashville to Tokyo in Jan., for example, prices range from ~$1450 for airfare and hotel(holiday inn) to ~$1900 to stay at the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay. If we went in October, the price is the same. Summer months seem to add ~$400-$500.

I think our best bet would be to get airfare seperate, make a plan for traveling all throughout Japan(maybe contact the vendors and see what they reccommend), book the hotel based off of that, and prob. have everyone get a rail pass.

What does everyone think?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
1twistedrx7
Rotary Fanatic

1twistedrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point

ummmm this could be fun!! get these plans made out if it sounds good i will go!
1twistedrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Brent
Sua Sponte

I PM'd Carol about it since she went earlier this year. Here is some advice she had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillOnJava
sounds like fun im itching to go back, maybe in september haha. if you're looking for a big event, you can try to plan for july 7th, for Sevens Day. Or theres just usually places to go every weekend and some week nights for small events.

id say figure out what kind of tuners you want to visit, and see if you guys will plan to stay near tokyo (kanto region) or if you would like to travel down south more (kansai/kinki region).

the trains and metro there are very convenient and easy to figure out after the first day. if you're planning on not travelling far, you could get by just paying daily for subway and train tickets, or you can check out JR (japan rail) for their visitor's unlimited pass if you guys want to go all over the place (lets you use the bus system too).

my accommodations cost anywhere from 25-50 a night. for the most part i booked at hostels and small hotels. www.hostelworld.com is a good place to start. they're not bad at all, places are always clean, every place usually provides free internet access. another option is looking for what they call "weekly mansions". its basically like renting an apartment for a week. multiple bedrooms, kitchenette....much roomier, and it broke down to maybe 30 something per person ea night.

food's not too expensive there either, i spent maybe 15-30 a day on sit down meals.

i did my hwk more on the tokyo area....tuners out there would be... rmagic, re-amemiya, knightsports, wise one auto, top secret, panspeed, kazama, scoot, spoon, mugen, jun, amuse....given that a lot of them are still quite far apart from each other....90 minutes one direction, 120 minutes another direction......and a few of them aren't near a train station...you could probably take a bus or a taxi...and then walk aimlessly around pointing at a map printout like i did and asking convenience stores how to get there haha. Theres also Tskubua circuit or motegi ring, nikko circuit... the honda museum, the toyota factory tour....asahi or sapporo beer museums..

down south would have Feed, hks, signal, makers7, bride, splash, tanabe, nagisa auto, junction produce, chargespeed...

useful links:
www.japan-guide.com
http://www.gaijinpot.com/
http://gojapan.about.com/

uhm...not sure what else to say....meals are great, no tips, and tax is factored into the menu price. whatever or wherever you eat, you pretty much just bring the check up when you're done and pay.

party and drinking districts = roppongi (lots of foreigners and english speakers, for those days when you just dont feel like trying reallly hard to communicate or miming out what you need hahaha), Shibuya, Shinjuku.

if you guys plan to go out late night, find a place to stay thats in that district so its not too expensive to take a taxi or walk back....otherwise plan to stay out til 5am partying because the trains stop working at midnight.

not sure what else....ask me if you have more Qs

carol
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFY00PAK_Ps
Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k0lJkcwrM

Last edited by Brent; 02-24-2008 at 12:19 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Herblenny

I've checked on this and usually the best time to go is March thru May. For some odd reasons, these are the cheapest time (and OCT) to go over seas. Thats when I used to go out of the country.. back when I did quite of travelling.

Personally, late April/May is the best time togo Asia as weather is fantastic!! Japan being slightly south (lateral location is about the same as Nashville/ATL) should be kind of warm during this time.

But I think we should pick an event and try to attend as that might give us more reasons to go. Also ATL might be a better place to depart as they have several direct flights.

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
Herblenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I PM'd Carol about it since she went earlier this year. He is some advice she had.
COOL! Hope she can come with us!

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B