Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Cp1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread

Feel free to move this to the appropriate section...

Well i was lookin' at the ol' rex today and i was contemplating doing some work, now i had just bought a bunch of new interior plastic such as a new shifter console and some other stuff but then looking around at the new stuff made the old stuff look just that much older. the original console had seen better day and was faded, and showing its scratches while the shift boots and e-brake boots were also looking pretty tattered too with holes through the original vinyl (yep i thought it was real leather before but nope) scratches and even burn marks left by the previous owner. and the shifter knob looked like crap too. it had holes in the leather, which was worn worse than my work boots. this is obviously no good if i have a brand new oem shifter console going in.

Now ive looked around before and found redlinegoods which offers a "console cover" and matching shift and e-brake boots to go with but at $140.00 or so it also seemed a bit steep so i waited. and i waited. i really liked the look of their cover and the boots but just couldnt justify the price so tonight it came to it that i had to do something about my dire interior.

The solution? a trip down to the fabric store yeilded some fabric backed imitation leather (read: vinyl) that looks nearly identical to the oem grain pattern... WOWEEE and some bright red top stiching thread. at a mere $9.00 PER YARD i thought i can afford to learn something new and not really be any worse off than i am now if i screw it all up... so i got the girlfriend to show me the basics of the sewing machine which had been hiding in the closet for months... and i was off!

Now i must contend that I have never sewn anything ever. in my entire life. but i was determined to make this work so with a test piece of my fabric and some black thread i got to practicing for about 5 minutes until when i actually got the hang of it... then with some brief laughs from the girlfriend i learned how to "butterfly" a seam so i could get the same look that redline has on their site... red stitching on black leather yaaa baddasss!

The shift and e-brake boots were easy as you take them out of your car unstitch the seams and use the pieces as templates for the new fabric! pin and cut. simple. then sew the panels together from the backside add your topstitching and VOILA it really was just that easy... and if i can do it the first time i think anyone can really.

the console was even easier. now at this point i dont want to take anything away from redline goods where i got my inspiration because im sure that they offer a very high quality product but if your cheap like me and dont mind trying something this is quite easy... far easier than i ever imagined.

Cut out the shape of the console from the old piece of vinyl pull it over the plastic and draw a straight line where you want to stitch with sewing chalk. which wipes off clean with a damp rag. so i sewed my lines and fitted it again... amazing.

now i had crap loads of leftover vinyl Oh i bought 1.5 yards and have roughly half of that leftover. so i thought ill give the shift knob a go.. now heres where it got tricky. you cant use a machine so your gonna have to learn some patience and do it by hand. so after a quick google search for "baseball stitch" and 2 minutes of reading i was set... got my pattern and started pulling thread trying my damndest to keep my spacing right. once i got all the stitching on and on the knob youll see that it fits loose so you have to go back a few times over "tightening" each stitch starting at the beginning each time but it gets looking good quick. this was the most time consuming part of the whole night and the knob from start to end took about 2 hours... not bad for someone whos never picked up a needle and thread before!

Total time spent doing all of the work below was about 5-6 hours with next to no involvement from the significant other!
Total money spent:

$2.50 for bright red topstitching,
$11.50 For 1.5 Yards of faux leather with fabric backing
$4.80 for spray glue from homedepot to put the console cover on.

=$18.80 for a brand new interior!

now some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test Strip.jpg (22.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Console01.jpg (35.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Console02.jpg (35.0 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftboots.jpg (32.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob01.jpg (43.6 KB, 213 views)

Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread: http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=5157

Last edited by Cp1; 11-10-2008 at 01:41 AM..
Cp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

the rest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shiftknob02.jpg (37.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob03.jpg (27.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob04.jpg (28.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob05.jpg (38.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob06.jpg (23.7 KB, 181 views)
Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread: http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=5157
Old 11-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

more pics to follow tomorrow when i have the console cover put back on

Oh and the next job im going to attempt is to re-wrap the steering wheel in the same style as the shiftknob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shiftknob07.jpg (20.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob08.jpg (26.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Shiftknob09.jpg (24.1 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Cp1; 11-10-2008 at 01:51 AM..
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
blwnrtr93
Rotary Fanatic

blwnrtr93 is on a distinguished road

can't beat that with a fucking stick. needs to be moved to interior along with a more detailed write-up.
1968 Camo Chevy P/U

Garfinkle's Airpump Idler Pulley: Keep the stock contact patch on your water pump w/o running Airpump!
blwnrtr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

A teaser before i write the full article...

This is with the new shifter console from mazda and the old but cleaned really well switches and lights.

All this for less than $20 bucks and some sweat equity, and if it gives me another 10 years ill be more than satisfied!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Console04.jpg (45.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftConsole02.jpg (38.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftConsole03.jpg (42.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftConsole01.jpg (38.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
-xlr8planet-
RCC Contributor

-xlr8planet- is on a distinguished road

dammit.

now I wanna do that and I have no skills!

www.rx7club.com.ar RX-7 Forum in Spanish

I make custom decals. Yes, you can ask me
-xlr8planet- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xlr8planet- View Post
dammit.

now I wanna do that and I have no skills!
Honestly thats why i wrote this... i had no skills... still dont think i do at upholstery, and i really believe ANYONE can get the same results!

so what if you mess up you cant wreck anything... im in the process of writing the full article which im trying to have downloadable patterns for the shift boot and e-brake boot so you dont have to take yours apart first... see now what have you got to lose?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
-xlr8planet-
RCC Contributor

-xlr8planet- is on a distinguished road

if you do, I might try it.

now you have to show me how to do the dash

www.rx7club.com.ar RX-7 Forum in Spanish

I make custom decals. Yes, you can ask me
-xlr8planet- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xlr8planet- View Post
if you do, I might try it.

now you have to show me how to do the dash
I may actually attempt that one day... except i think the dash on an fd is blow molded vinyl not stretched over plastic like the console... im not sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
firzen
Rotary Fanatic

firzen is on a distinguished road

Nice work, I'd like to do that as well but unfortunately, guys usually don't have spare sewing machines lying around the house...
firzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

WOW!! I just saw this and moved it to 3rd gen section..

Great DIY!!

I was just thinking about this last night...

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
AzCamel
Put it in her butt

AzCamel is on a distinguished road

wow that is nuts!!! want o make me some with the stuff left over? PM me a price if you can.

GT42, Gotham Racing Monster Port, Zoom-Zoom
Rebuilding the GT4202, hopes that all:wallbash:
WTB: passenger oil cooler
WTT: Carbon Fiber VIS Vader Hood for Carbon Fiber Scoot Hood
www.azrotoryrockets.com
AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCamel View Post
wow that is nuts!!! want o make me some with the stuff left over? PM me a price if you can.
i am more than willing to help anyone out for cheap but give me a bit as im still writing the full article... but ya ive thought about making a few "sets" up and selling them for pretty affordable as it really doesnt cost much
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
nissanconvert
The Newbie

nissanconvert is on a distinguished road

This only serves to confirm my desires to attend a welding class, followed by a sewing class. Great work!
nissanconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
rlee429
The Newbie

rlee429 is on a distinguished road

Did you pre-puncture the holes for the shift knob or did you eye ball it to make it look that good?
rlee429 is offline   Reply With Quote