Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road
Default FC Zach's '87 Sport

If you have met me or seen my 7 at DGRR/B3R then you probably noticed it's carbed and if you know me personally then you have probably heard me whine about it at one point or another. Years ago (many) I wanted to be different with my 2nd Gen, so I stripped the engine bay down to have nothing I didn't need and have just what I did need. I love simplicity and wanted it to be basic. When I first installed the RB Holley kit I loved it, it did what I wanted it to do and I was happy with it until it got to the point where I overcomplicated what should be a simple set up. Eventually it got to the point where I hated the Holley carb and the constant adjustments that were required to get it to run ok at best.

The last straw was on the way to B3R last year when I barely made it up a hill because the engine loaded up with sooooo much fuel that it nearly died (this has happened way too many times before this incident). I lost my temper to say the least and placed parts orders as soon as I figured out what I wanted to do and where to get the parts.

I wanted to retain the simplistic aesthetics that I've always had with my engine bay and to do this I decided I would keep the intake manifold and use a proper sized throttle body and also by removing the distributor and replacing it with a trigger wheel along with a slimmer coil design that's more up to date than what I had been using.

Here is an old pic from many years ago, this is the old set up.

The first major purchase was the throttle body. After years of searching, looking for a throttle body that wasn't too big, I finally made my decision. I chose an efi Hardware 700cfm throttle body. Thing sure is a work of art, it has ball bearing shafts and a smooth CNC machined finish. It's also nice that the TPS is an easily sourced GM part.

I chose to run a Sprint RE ecu to control everything, I was amazed by how small this thing is. Will be mounted in a gutted OE ecu.

I wanted a more accurate measurement for oil pressure/temp as well as air/fuel, so with the help of Ludwig I chose these Defi gauges and a Haltech wideband controller. The Defi gauges will also be used to monitor fuel pressure/water temp via switches (as soon as I figure out how to do so).

I had to purchase a filter pedestal in order to install pressure/temp sensors.

I eventually want to run a cold air intake so I searched for an undivided carb bonnet. Maybe even a turbo one day

Completely changed fuel setup.

New injectors, went with Bosch EV14s.

For the ignition I chose to use the FFE trigger wheel over OEM CAS.

Coils will be the IGN-1As, I originally planned on mounting them with the use of this SakeBomb universal mounting kit but that was until I saw RiceRacing designing a true COP design with use of these coils. Sold the SB kit and now anxiously waiting on the RR kit

While I was changing things I wanted a more efficient cooling fan and a better mount for it so I had a local fabricator make a shroud for my new fan.

That's it for now. . I'm waiting on delivery of the new coil mount and I have Ludwig making a harness for me, as soon as these arrive I can start assembling everything and assuming there are no issues with anything I'll have (hopefully) enough time to get the car on the dyno for some tuning to be ready for DGRR. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best. worse case scenario I'll drive the daily.

1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4

Last edited by FC Zach; 08-11-2017 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Fix dead links
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
rx7 vinnie
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE

rx7 vinnie is on a distinguished road

Looks good man...... I've been wanting to do something differnt on the track car like get rid of the Weber and do a ITB setup but money problems.
03 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Vert
06 dodge ram 2500 Megacab turbo Cummins=puller
16 MB ML350
rx7 vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

I'll do my best to help Zach. I've got three projects i'm involved with, two are going to DGRR, but I'd love for yours to make it... even if we need to do tuning on the way there I should have some sprintRE maps that you can use/modify to simplify tuning.

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
almoststockfc

almoststockfc is on a distinguished road

Looking good man!!
-Rotary snowmobile powered go kart - DGRR 2012 Peoples Choice - RIP
almoststockfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

Thanks guys! I hope it makes it but if it takes rushing it then I think it would be best to drive the celica, we'll see.
1975 Dolmar KMS4
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

If the RR kit doesn't make it in time, you can always rig up some coils just to run
the leading spark (who needs trailing anyway ) Look forward to seeing it.

That RR setup is sweet, I wonder of it will work on a 12A? I know there would be some
size differences due to the housing widths. Never got an answer on that in the thread
he had on it.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Zach View Post
That's it for now. . I'm waiting on delivery of the new coil mount and I have Ludwig making a harness for me, as soon as these arrive I can start assembling everything and assuming there are no issues with anything I'll have (hopefully) enough time to get the car on the dyno for some tuning to be ready for DGRR. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best. worse case scenario I'll drive the daily.
Looks GREAT Zach! Can't wait to see her this year The only thing I would change would be the fuel return line.... I would flip it 180* and run it on top of the intake as opposed to on top of the exhaust...

And screw the dyno if you can't make it.. ROAD TUNE!!! You get MUCH better driveability when tuning on the road than on the Dyno..... dyno is great for WOT but for the nitty gritty stuff... road tuning is where it's at. Ask MC about the difference between the first go around and the second when I spent a few hours driving back and forth tuning the low load cruising and transition. He actually liked it better the first time, it was much more violent as opposed to now he says it drives like a stock car until you mash the go-pedal. As a tuner that what I was looking for... I guess MC liked breaking the tires loose at 65 on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousP View Post
I'll do my best to help Zach. I've got three projects i'm involved with, two are going to DGRR, but I'd love for yours to make it... even if we need to do tuning on the way there I should have some sprintRE maps that you can use/modify to simplify tuning.
That's what I'm fucking talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Zach View Post
Thanks guys! I hope it makes it but if it takes rushing it then I think it would be best to drive the celica, we'll see.
DON'T DO IT!!!

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

infernosg is on a distinguished road

Rice's latest posts seem to suggest he's not going to offer the IGN-1A stuff. I need to message him to see what's up.

I love the setup. The similarities in our builds is pretty uncanny. Would have been even more so if I didn't start going crazy. But then again, that ended up benefiting you
infernosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
The only thing I would change would be the fuel return line.... I would flip it 180* and run it on top of the intake as opposed to on top of the exhaust...
This look better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150331_115910_063.jpg (88.3 KB, 419 views)
1975 Dolmar KMS4
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosg View Post
Rice's latest posts seem to suggest he's not going to offer the IGN-1A stuff. I need to message him to see what's up.
I would, he may work with you. . It definitely wont hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosg View Post
I love the setup. The similarities in our builds is pretty uncanny. Would have been even more so if I didn't start going crazy. But then again, that ended up benefiting you
Ha Ha, thank you! you've been a major contribution to the car. What is it so far? Sprint RE and custom gauge mount?
1975 Dolmar KMS4
Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_g_farrell View Post
If the RR kit doesn't make it in time, you can always rig up some coils just to run
My thoughts exactly, I do have some cut to fit wires left over from previous experiments. .

Quote:
That RR setup is sweet, I wonder of it will work on a 12A? I know there would be some
size differences due to the housing widths. Never got an answer on that in the thread
he had on it.
I remember you asking that and my understanding from it was that you would have to make your own mount like I am. I'll be bringing some metal off the bottom mount, front stud. Regarding the width of the mounting ears for the coils, I guess you'd have to trim them. Something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150314_181053_916.jpg (91.3 KB, 410 views)
1975 Dolmar KMS4

Last edited by FC Zach; 03-31-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 AM   #12
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

Quote:

he had on it.

Hi I was referred here and can reply to you now if you like?
Problem with 12A (apart from width) is I have no 12A housings here and I cant verify the exact plug locations.... makes it hard to guess bracket system for it.

Even the IGN-1A system due to variances in coils and other shit means that needs some shimming and slight angling of COP Adaptors (I know that is speeeell wrong LOL but I stick with it) to get it to line up.

There is no such issues with the M&W CDI set up, this is why I decided to stick only with that. I wrote in the other thread that I may continue to supply the COP Adaptors so end users can make up their own bracket systems, had a few 20B people request this.

Hope you all understand, just that IGN-1A type coil is a full on C-U-N-T, it would be so much easier and neater if it was a female end like the M&W CDI coil then I could fuck off the complexity of the COP adaptor unit itself.

I may look into doing an injection mold and forming some type of integral silicone boot with an internal contact? but that is expensive ............. Just doing a BDC or HC type typing brain fart idea over the internet lol I doubt I will spend more time on it personally, just push the proper CDI ignition systems anyway since they are much better than ghetto inductive coils in my experience.

Back to your original programing now
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE RACING View Post
Hi I was referred here and can reply to you now if you like?
Problem with 12A (apart from width) is I have no 12A housings here and I cant verify the exact plug locations.... makes it hard to guess bracket system for it.

Even the IGN-1A system due to variances in coils and other shit means that needs some shimming and slight angling of COP Adaptors (I know that is speeeell wrong LOL but I stick with it) to get it to line up.

There is no such issues with the M&W CDI set up, this is why I decided to stick only with that. I wrote in the other thread that I may continue to supply the COP Adaptors so end users can make up their own bracket systems, had a few 20B people request this.

Hope you all understand, just that IGN-1A type coil is a full on C-U-N-T, it would be so much easier and neater if it was a female end like the M&W CDI coil then I could fuck off the complexity of the COP adaptor unit itself.

I may look into doing an injection mold and forming some type of integral silicone boot with an internal contact? but that is expensive ............. Just doing a BDC or HC type typing brain fart idea over the internet lol I doubt I will spend more time on it personally, just push the proper CDI ignition systems anyway since they are much better than ghetto inductive coils in my experience.

Back to your original programing now
Thanks for getting back to me. I reread the thread and you did reply somewhat.
I understand the issue completely and the market forces. Making
my own, as Zach pointed out, is the way I would have to go for this. Love
the work you did on the 13B mount. I hope Zach gets his in time. I'd like to
see it at DGRR.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Johnny_K
Rotary Fanatic

Johnny_K is on a distinguished road

Looking good buddy. Hope u get it going for dgrr.
Johnny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #15
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

Yer wearin my Flannel in the Sprint RE pic!
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.

Last edited by chibikougan; 04-01-2015 at 07:49 PM..
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote